Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail Jobs Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Dub Ste

I could be mistaken but I thought I was asked where I wanted to apply for in the application phase before I ever started the online tests.

Ah right, could have done, it just seems so long ago........maybe an age thing........not really IR if you're looking ...;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Dub Ste wrote: »
    Ah right, could have done, it just seems so long ago........maybe an age thing........not really IR if you're looking ...;);)

Don't worry, the assessments will suss that out quick enough.

I would also point out .... And I don't mean this in a bad way towards anyone or the likes but from what I seen there are a small few people applying for this job that are wasting time.

Seen a few admit they have medical issues that would rule them out and also a few obese people that won't be able to pass a medical. (BMI + stress test on thread mill etc)

Not to mention urine test, ECG , medical history checked etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭mario84s

Seen a few admit they have medical issues that would rule them out and also a few obese people that won't be able to pass a medical. (BMI + stress test on thread mill etc)

Not to mention urine test, ECG , medical history checked etc.

they actually check the BMI at this medical???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

mario84s wrote: »
    they actually check the BMI at this medical???

Course they do.

They did all the above at nearly all bus driver medicals

The train medical is much stricter and tougher than the bus one.

So if you have things like diabetes , heart issues etc you could be well out of the running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

And if you're just fat???

khaldrogo wrote: »
    And if you're just fat???

I know plenty of people that went for jobs with Dublin bus and bus eireann that were told to go lose a couple of stone in weight and try again

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

https://www.bmicalculator.ie

Ideally your BMI should be 28 or under. But I've read that if you seem otherwise fit and mobile and your BMI doesn't exceed 33 they'll pass you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Do they do a fitness vo2max test

That's me out so.......and a few others I saw last week

• Advertisement

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Do they do a fitness vo2max test

Don't think they quite do that

But they do hook up the wires and pads to you and make you run on the threadmill but it's a stress test their doing more so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

That's me out so.......and a few others I saw last week

Surely you have plenty of time between now and the medical to get your fitness and weight sorted out?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭It wasnt me

When i did my medical for the position of luas driver
    The list was
    12 lead ECG
    Colour blindness test and vision test
    Hearing test
    Urine test
    Blood pressure checked(i have white coat syndrome so needed to have 24hr montior and doctor sign it off)
    If over 50 the lads and ladies had to do stress ecg test.
    Not everybody passes these medicals and i can imagine IR will be a lot more stringent.

Also if anybody likes the jamaican woodbines or any other substances remember urine samples can show for 6 months i was told.
    Anybody on anti depressants or anti pyschotics or benzos will probably not get through.

Also if anybody likes the jamaican woodbines or any other substances remember urine samples can show for 6 months i was told.

I think that can depend on how heavy a user you are, but didn't think it went as far as 6 months.
    Makes sense not to have heavy cannabis users driving trains!

All of the above and more

Also medication shows up too and the likes of solpadol / solpadine (anything in that bracket) etc are big red flags !

Effects wrote:
    Surely you have plenty of time between now and the medical to get your fitness and weight sorted out?

What date is the medical???

• Advertisement

What date is the medical???

Not for a while yet. Get working on it.

Effects wrote:
    Not for a while yet. Get working on it.

Everything else is moving along very quickly.....can't see the medical being that far down the line

Kind of off topic, but you can work on fitness pretty fast once you put your mind to it. And it's probably a good idea anyway if you think you aren't in good enough shape to pass the medical.

Everything else is moving along very quickly.....can't see the medical being that far down the line

I've a friend who is currently doing a keto diet, i think it was 13, maybe 15 days since i saw him, but the weight loss was serious, chap ate meat, fatty meats especially, and i just can't believe what i saw. he claims he was down 10kg since he started it, says something how it tricks your mind into burning your body fat. i'm writing this eating a snickers, so don't think i'm an expert on it, i just know that he looked completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

I've a friend who is currently doing a keto diet, i think it was 13, maybe 15 days since i saw him, but the weight loss was serious, chap ate meat, fatty meats especially, and i just can't believe what i saw. he claims he was down 10kg since he started it, says something how it tricks your mind into burning your body fat. i'm writing this eating a snickers, so don't think i'm an expert on it, i just know that he looked completely different.

Sounds good but if he stops it he will turn into a balloon

• Advertisement

Sounds good but if he stops it he will turn into a balloon

hahaha, that's his problem so!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

hahaha, that's his problem so!

I suppose if ya just lost it until offered a position ya could just pile it back on once your in 😂 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Melanie1990

Homer Simpson comes to mind...."Your fingers are too fat to drive this train. To obtain a dialling wand, please mash the keyboard with your palm now"

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

If this is your dream job go for it and deal with the weight thing . You have already progressed in the process further than most so you clearly have the smarts for it .

I suppose if ya just lost it until offered a position ya could just pile it back on once your in �� lol

or keep it off, new job new you type of sh*t...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Jake5991

I'm in the Defence forces can I carry my service over for pension and salary if I'm lucky to get the job ?

Daz_ wrote:
    If this is your dream job go for it and deal with the weight thing . You have already progressed in the process further than most so you clearly have the smarts for it .

The weight thing is being dealt with and has been for a while now but I'm still over the BMI and if this progresses further as quickly as it has already there simply isn't enough time for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Clever8619

The weight thing is being dealt with and has been for a while now but I'm still over the BMI and if this progresses further as quickly as it has already there simply isn't enough time for me.
    Don't be so negative mate. Just up your effort a couple of notches. The medical will be one of the last hurdles to cross. Have one last giant Chinese tonight and crack into it then tomorrow!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Rootsblower

Jake5991 wrote: »
    I'm in the Defence forces can I carry my service over for pension and salary if I'm lucky to get the job ?

No your starting from zero regards pension and salary. Irish Rail is a semi state body not part of the public service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭badge1123

I work for An Post. Anyone know if I can carry my pension over? Semi state body and all that. Obviously if I was lucky enough to be offered a position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

BMI is a tough one. I was on 31 . I was very surprised to hear I was a point away from obese during the bus medical. I dont like those tests at all. I have quite a bit of upper body muscle from sport and little to no belly fat. I could lose a stone all round but I am far from obese. I dont think the test is very fare.

I know a lot of people did not get through the DB medical due to BMI . If you need to lose a stone, start now. It will be the same doctor and nurse testing.

If you need to lose a stone, start now. It will be the same doctor and nurse testing.

BMI of 32.9... F$%*... not much fat but if they going by BMI, need cut down on about 2 stone!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Rootsblower

badge1123 wrote: »
    I work for An Post. Anyone know if I can carry my pension over? Semi state body and all that. Obviously if I was lucky enough to be offered a position.

No you can’t starting from zero

I wouldn't be getting bogged down on the bmi thing, I'd imagine your fitness lvl is more important, just think of a rugby player who would be clinically obese according to bmi yet fit as you could get, fitness is the key not bloody bmi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭turdball

My BMI is 20.5 and very very unfit. Probably a months traininh before the medical I'd be grand

turdball wrote: »
    My BMI is 20.5 and very very unfit. Probably a months traininh before the medical I'd be grand

What's very very unfit

I have a bmi of 29 which is classed as overweight yet I did a 10km run this evening in 56 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭jamesf85

Has anyone from Limerick, Galway or Sligo been informed yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭turdball

shamrock55 wrote: »
    What's very very unfit

I doubt id finish a 100m sprint to be honest or be fecked after less than five minutes of jogging

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

Any one an idea on how many are going for the 100 jobs? How many would be for Dublin for example? I would have to travel back to Ireland for the test day and want to gauge my chances. Using a few days holidays for small chance of a job may not be the best way to get a job back in Ireland.

I also got the 4 -6 week email.

gar32 wrote: »
    Any one an idea on how many are going for the 100 jobs?

there's been plenty of figures mentioned, but 17,500 was the one that was announced with 2 days to go before deadline for applications. I'd say with rule of thumb, there are quite few for Dublin. There was a chap from Waterford who applied for Dublin fancying his chances rather than Waterford.

as far as travelling back to ireland to do the test, we were told the phase 1 of the tests in inchicore were 1 week and phase 2 is week later, followed by interviews and medicals, so i take it that the process is a weekly thing. will you be able to come back for it, and if given the initial 32 week training course, will you be able to come back to live here as soon as the course starts?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Oscar1978

jamesf85 wrote: »
    Has anyone from Limerick, Galway or Sligo been informed yet?

Did two tests on line not a word back. I did Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jenjenHarley

Has anyone heard back who has done the tests in inchicore on Thursday and Friday last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

Has anyone heard back who has done the tests in inchicore on Thursday and Friday last week?

No not yet. I reckon it'll be today that people start hearing. Don't have high hopes for myself, I don't think I did very well.
    They have form for responding when you're successful and leaving you hanging when you're not. So keeping an eye here is a good indicator

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jenjenHarley

No not yet. I reckon it'll be today that people start hearing. Don't have high hopes for myself, I don't think I did very well.
    They have form for responding when you're successful and leaving you hanging when you're not. So keeping an eye here is a good indicator

Well best of luck to everyone including yourself AssaultedPeanut. Hopefully we all know where we stand by the end of the day.

• Advertisement

Oscar1978 wrote: »
    Did two tests on line not a word back. I did Limerick.

I haven't heard of anyone from these areas getting anything back.

I'd imagine Dublin Cork etc are in more urgent need so they're dealing with those candidates first.

There might only be a handful of drivers needed for the west coast depots so they could be processed later in the year/early next year

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭md323

jamesf85 wrote: »
    I haven't heard of anyone from these areas getting anything back.

I'd imagine Dublin Cork etc are in more urgent need so they're dealing with those candidates first.

There might only be a handful of drivers needed for the west coast depots so they could be processed later in the year/early next year

I got the 4-6 week email, i applied for limerick

md323 wrote: »
    I got the 4-6 week email, i applied for limerick

Ok well there goes my theory then 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Gingie

badge1123 wrote: »

You may be able to carry service over the rules were changed some years ago to allow movement in the public service including semi state altho most HR dept don't actually know this and there are some exceptions.
    my wife moved from state to semi state and back and kept hers. You can check on the public service hr site.

Nobody hear anything yet for last week's assessment???

• Advertisement
Advertisement