Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail Jobs Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Ais123 wrote: »
    Sorry my mistake. I’m not sure then, my previous answer was just an educated guess.

If I’m not mistaken I think one of the eu regulations for train drivers are that they must live an hour from where their depot is. So if they are traveling from far out then I imagine once their application is fine combed through they’ll be denied on the basis of geography?

Surely the hour definition is too vague , depending on time of day , traffic etc from someone commuting ? Is there a max KM from the depot instead I wonder ?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Ais123

Daz_ wrote: »
    Surely the hour definition is too vague , depending on time of day , traffic etc from someone commuting ? Is there a max KM from the depot instead I wonder ?

I know all the uk train driver adverts state one hour from the station in accordance with eu rules but I can’t actually find the statute to back this up so I’m not actually sure what the criteria is within the hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Well just on your point about people travelling to be there

This came up when I moved over to bus eireann, I was asked in the interview about where I'd be living in relation to the depot, because of the nature of work and rest etc.

I expect it to be even more strict with the rail and the fact you'll be doing 12hour shifts. They dont want you to have an hour commute either side of that

So anyone from the country applying for Dublin would have to consider moving closer to the depot !

I'm one of them BTW ! And if I get the job I'll have a set up 10-15 mins away

12 hour shifts not a hope for a train driver!

I know all the uk train driver adverts state one hour from the station in accordance with eu rules but I can’t actually find the statute to back this up so I’m not actually sure what the criteria is within the hour

Air, Bus and Rail require it, you could probably stretch to 75 mins. Its going to be part of the contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

I've seen a roster. Guess again lad

• Advertisement

Very rare shift then. I bet when you get the job you won’t be doing such shifts often.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Rootsblower

No roster in any depot has 12hr shift the most you can be rostered for is 10 hrs and that’s rare enough and then only by agreement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

No roster in any depot has 12hr shift the most you can be rostered for is 10 hrs and that’s rare enough and then only by agreement.

There's lads in Dublin doing shifts starting at half 3 or 4am shunting darts around and then doing runs themselves until mid morning - midday

Lads doing a bit of spare in morning time / shunting then heading to Sligo and back.

I'm not saying that they are very often but do happen, just pointing out these things so people can see reason why they don't want drivers living far away from the depot, which I agree with.

There's lads in Dublin doing shifts starting at half 3 or 4am shunting darts around and then doing runs themselves until mid morning - midday

Lads doing a bit of spare in morning time / shunting then heading to Sligo and back.

I'm not saying that they are very often but do happen, just pointing out these things so people can see reason why they don't want drivers living far away from the depot, which I agree with.

I’ll repeat there are no rostered 12 hr shifts in any depot on Irish Rail. You cannot be forced to do 12hrs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Jamie2k9 wrote:

Please elaborate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

A train driver can't be rostered for more than 10.5 hours anywhere in the EU (further reduced here to 10 hours under agreement).

This is in accordance with standards established under the Railway Safety Directive as part of the EUs Second Railway Package.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mikeoc85

Had a read through all this here.

I applied for this along with 2 friends.

My depot choice was Dublin along with one of my friends while the other one chose Galway.

We all filled the tests out together (I know this isn’t recommended but we decided that by doing this we had a better chance of progressing and then later on we could be more prepared) and each test was answered the same.

The two of us that chose Dublin were called to Inchicore last week while my friend who chose Galway is yet to hear back from them despite getting the exact same result.

Not sure what their method is but it would seem that some depots aren’t being considered yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Jake5991

So for anyone Wondering if your starting off at 45k your net pay is 33492 euro which is 2791 a month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Jake5991 wrote: »
    So for anyone Wondering if your starting off at 45k your net pay is 33492 euro which is 2791 a month

For someone with your exact set of tax credits

Depends on your circumstances, married etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭mario84s

GM228 wrote: »
    Depends on your circumstances, married etc.

so once you begin training, week 1, you're on 45k payable weekly/monthly?

mario84s wrote: »

Yup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

mikeoc85 wrote: »
    I applied for this along with 2 friends.

We all filled the tests out together and each test was answered the same.

The two of us that chose Dublin were called to Inchicore last week while my friend who chose Galway is yet to hear back from them despite getting the exact same result.

How could you all get the same for the SCAAT?

Training rate is €43,874.32 per year.

Currently paid weekly, but new entrants will be paid on a monthly basis I believe.

L1011 wrote: »
    For someone with your exact set of tax credits

I don't know about tax credits I just calculated it on the online tax calculator .

• Advertisement

I don't know about tax credits I just calculated it on the online tax calculator .

i was looking at that myself, that figure is for a single person on the A1 tax with tax credits of 3,300 per year, taking into account the (unsure right now of the new figure of upper tax bracket) 20 and 40 % rates...

i was looking at that myself, that figure is for a single person on the A1 tax with tax credits of 3,300 per year, taking into account the (unsure right now of the new figure of upper tax bracket) 20 and 40 % rates...

I don't really understand the tax credits . How does it affect your salary ?

I don't really understand the tax credits . How does it affect your salary ?

this should answer all your questions...

https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/calculating-your-income-tax/what-are-tax-credits.aspx

And for those who get the job eventually, on Revenue website, under credits section, apply for a new credit, Flat Rate Expenses. It'll be worth 160 quid to ya extra per year. you can do this for any job really, retail will gain you a measly 24.20 per year, but if you're not claiming for them now, do so and apply to get it backdated for previous 4 years... just shy of 100 quid for spending 5 mins on your computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lledlledlled

Would the lads in Dublin who start shunting darts at 3.30am not need to work until 3.30pm in order to complete a 12hr shift?
    Maybe I'm missing something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Would the lads in Dublin who start shunting darts at 3.30am not need to work until 3.30pm in order to complete a 12hr shift?
    Maybe I'm missing something...

You're missing the guys, who are actual train drivers, saying there are no 12 hour shifts and that's it's not legal anyway.
    I’ll repeat there are no rostered 12 hr shifts in any depot on Irish Rail. You cannot be forced to do 12hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mikeoc85

Effects wrote: »
    How could you all get the same for the SCAAT?

We did all 3 and got roughly to the same stage with all 3, probably about half way down the page while taking care and placing the importance on getting it right rather than speed!

I would imagine some people haven’t been called or informed yet based on their depot choice!

No other explanation as to how two of us got called so early for a depot that I would imagine has a much higher demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Which uses your details

Marriage can change credits depending how they're split. Certain classes of dependants. People with medical cards have different USC although most reasons to have a discretionary medical card would make you fail the medical for this anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 fanningb

Also to calculate net pay you would need to take into account any pension contributions you would be making, and if jointly assessed it's not just how the credits are split but the spouse with the higher income will have their 20% tax band raised to increase net pay and the lower paid spouse will have the tax band lowered by same amount, decreasing their net pay.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Which uses your details

Marriage can change credits depending how they're split. Certain classes of dependants. People with medical cards have different USC although most reasons to have a discretionary medical card would make you fail the medical for this anyway.

Oh right well im single no medical card currently working So I don't think I'd be affected that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lledlledlled

Effects wrote: »
    You're missing the guys, who are actual train drivers, saying there are no 12 hour shifts and that's it's not legal anyway.

Thanks, but I hadn't missed that at all. I was challenging a claim from a previous poster that drivers do 12hr shifts. The example given didn't appear to me to add up to 12hrs.

This thread is an excellent source of information for those thinking of train driving as a career. However, there is a also an occasional wild claim made as if it is fact. It's a pity some posters choose to do that, as people reading the forum may use the information in determining what could be a life-changing decision.

This application process certainly is dragged out. I genuinely hope that the positions go to the most deserving applicants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭sabrina99

“Identified competencies of a driver as advised in job advert”
    I don’t recall too many details in the ad, anyone know what type of stuff they’re looking for here?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭blueband

sabrina99 wrote: »
    “Identified competencies of a driver as advised in job advert”
    I don’t recall too many details in the ad, anyone know what type of stuff they’re looking for here?

the ad is gone from Irish Rail and I didn't keep a copy, this however is on Careersportal in relation to the rail driver recruitment campaign. It may or may not reflect the actual ad that Irish Rail put up but its all I have to work off

Successful candidates must have the following attributes:

Excellent Communication Skills
    Calm in an Emergency
    Follow Rules and Procedures
    Conscientious
    Customer Focus
    Achievement Orientation

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Doghouses

Unlikely have to live max 1hr from depot !
    Where has this idea come from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Doghouses wrote: »

I know a driver in the UK. Lives in Cupar, based in Edinburgh. That is more than a hours drive! He has been doing it since the 90's.

• Advertisement

Medical is intense enough I heard. They look for report from GP make sure no history of depression etc...

Do all drivers always start at depot. I mean most morning trains are incoming to Dublin. Rosslare to Dublin for example. Where his depot Waterford over 1 hour and Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

Been on here the last few weeks folks have no word back since stage 2. Going to unfollow (to stop the email notifications), cheers for the help and answers over the last few weeks lads. Best of luck to the remainder of you all still in the running and fingers crossed for ya’s.

Do all drivers always start at depot. I mean most morning trains are incoming to Dublin. Rosslare to Dublin for example. Where his depot Waterford over 1 hour and Dublin

There are drivers based in Rosslare

https://jobs.deutschebahngroup.careers/jobs/JobDetail/Qualified-Train-Driver-Leeds/34154

It states it in all the uk train driver applications they say it’s a requirement due to driving hours and I presume it will be with Irish rail too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭annor99

Been on here the last few weeks folks have no word back since stage 2. Going to unfollow (to stop the email notifications), cheers for the help and answers over the last few weeks lads. Best of luck to the remainder of you all still in the running and fingers crossed for ya’s.

Willie you can unfollow the thread so you don't get the emails but check it as and when you want then. Either bookmark or paste and copy the link into a message somewhere so have quick access. Dont loose hope yet.

https://jobs.deutschebahngroup.careers/jobs/JobDetail/Qualified-Train-Driver-Leeds/34154

It states it in all the uk train driver applications they say it’s a requirement due to driving hours and I presume it will be with Irish rail too.

This is not the U.K.
    Never presume anything regarding the railway

This is not the U.K.
    Never presume anything regarding the railway

You are very correct! However I’m sure I read somewhere it was to do with EU regulations but I can’t find anything in the eu legislation. So who knows. I guess we’ll wait and see. I’m borderline on the hour so hopefully it’s not a requirement.

You are very correct! However I’m sure I read somewhere it was to do with EU regulations but I can’t find anything in the eu legislation. So who knows. I guess we’ll wait and see. I’m borderline on the hour so hopefully it’s not a requirement.

I have never heard of this in my career as a driver
    Plenty of guys doing over an hours commute every day

I have never heard of this in my career as a driver
    Plenty of guys doing over an hours commute every day

Does it mention it anywhere in the contract?

Does it mention it anywhere in the contract?

Not in mine

Not in mine

Perfect, thankfully then it mustn’t be a requirement in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Did anyone get confirmation of the time they selected for phase 2

Perfect, thankfully then it mustn’t be a requirement in Ireland.

That doesnt mean it won’t be in new contracts

To clarify the 1 hour drive time is not a legal requirement in the UK, rather a UK industry accepted best practice which stems from the (now withdrawn) "Hidden Rules".

• Advertisement
Advertisement