Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail Jobs Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Beg your pardon RPU

Newly qualified drivers in my depot(less than 2 months) are loco trained.

My depot has trainees in the training school undergoing loco training at the moment.

As I keep saying but your not listening. If a depot has a requirement to drive loco hauled trains then trainees for said depots will and are being loco trained.

That's in your depot. As I said.. No new drivers are training on locos in Dublin.

I will repeat. No new drivers are doing locos in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Rootsblower

prinzeugen wrote: »
    That's in your depot. As I said.. No new drivers are training on locos in Dublin.

Heuston trainees drive Dublin-Cork which is a MK4 train so they are being trained on locos

Connolly drivers have to learn Dublin-Belfast and the North Wall pilot so they are being trained on locos too.

Since your not in the driving grade perhaps you should defer to those that who obviously have greater knowledge of what’s going on. Your declaration that Drogheda is a DMU depot alone tells me all I need to know about your knowledge of what’s involved in driving grade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Except the Huesto driver on the current course, who are starting their last 4 weeks of the training course Monday, which is 4 weeks of Loco training.

<<
    >>

The current class has a Galway based driver, who won't ever see Locos, and he's finished up 4 weeks early (the Loco module), to go back to his depot to start his route knowledge/250 hrs mentor driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Batman51

I'm a new driver. I'm learning locos as we speak. Your information is incorrect I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 NewUser1998

Batman51 wrote: »
    I'm a new driver. I'm learning locos as we speak. Your information is incorrect I'm afraid.

How’re you finding it? Has COVID had much of an impact on the training process?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Batman51

How’re you finding it? Has COVID had much of an impact on the training process?

Finding it great. We're just following the same covid rules as anyone else really. We missed out on a few tours as the buildings were too enclosed, nothing important. Some of the learning is done In smaller groups aswell. On the whole, no different to what anyone else has had really.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Beebop20

Has anyone had the virtual interview yet? Just curious how everyone's getting on

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Santamaria1

Beebop20 wrote: »
    Has anyone had the virtual interview yet? Just curious how everyone's getting on

Did mine today, was a fairly relaxed atmosphere, just a kind of review of the answers provided on the pre interview questionnaire and personality test. Expanding on your answers and the like. The time flew. Hopefully I did ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Beebop20

Did mine today, was a fairly relaxed atmosphere, just a kind of review of the answers provided on the pre interview questionnaire and personality test. Expanding on your answers and the like. The time flew. Hopefully I did ok.

If you felt relaxed and are happy enough it sounds like it definitely went ok, well done...youre flying it

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭PadraigCoghlan

Beebop20 wrote: »
    If you felt relaxed and are happy enough it sounds like it definitely went ok, well done...youre flying it

Is that virtual interview for Driver or what position? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Santamaria1

Is that virtual interview for Driver or what position? Thanks.

Yes, Driver. Got an email today for a Line Manager Interview in 2 weeks and a Medical at end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lynchd12

Congratulations. I was meant to have my first interview tomorrow but it was rescheduled to Monday. Was really hoping to be done with this process soon but I'll probably be working off an even longer timeline if you're not for another 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭PadraigCoghlan

Yes, Driver. Got an email today for a Line Manager Interview in 2 weeks and a Medical at end of the month.

Congratulations that's brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Batman51 wrote: »

You are Waterford based are you not?

Anyone that has an interview for Dublin.. Ask.

Bet you will get told the same as me.

Hi I’m afraid there must’ve been a mix up. I had my interview today and they said I would be trained for locos too if I’m successful. Dublin based

And as I said, the Dublin (Hueston based) driver on the current course is training on 071s/201s right now.

Edit : Even the last few classes , Hueston and Connolly based, all got loco training.

You must have got some seriously incorrect information.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Debs86

GavRedKing wrote: »
    And as I said, the Dublin (Hueston based) driver on the current course is training on 071s/201s right now.

Edit : Even the last few classes , Hueston and Connolly based, all got loco training.

You must have got some seriously incorrect information.

I had my virtual interview yesterday and the HR rep said if successfull you could be based on the dart line or on the diesel trains so I think training suffers for both, that’s how I picked up on it anyway.

If you're Dubli based it'll be EMU (DARTs) or DMU (ICRs and Locos), not both, although I've heard of candidates from the country offered to come up and do the DART course but then be based in either of the DART depots.

They will tell you which course you're on once they get to the offer stage and contact you again, should you be successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 MrBumBum

You have been wrongly informed prinzeugen.
    Anyone going to be based in Dublin will have training on 071 and 201.
    As others have told you, that's a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lincoln Lawyer

Yes.. If you worked there you would know that is bollox.

Sorry you are wrong.

I'm a new driver based in Dublin. I wasn't working with the company prior to this and came through the external recruitment campaign.
    I can guarantee you without a shadow of a doubt that if you are hired as a DMU driver for Dublin, you will absolutely be trained on 071 & 201 locomotives in the training school in Inchicore.
    Once released from the school, you will then need to drive them as part of your 250 hours at your depot. Then you will be assessed on both 071 & 201 class locomotives so you can be passed out.

Locomotives are used on a daily basis in Dublin. Whether used on the MK 4 to Cork, or the De Dietrich, or as part of shunting duties in Northwall, Inchicore, Heuston, Connolly, Per Way yards etc.

I'm passed out on both classes of loco and have been driving them on a very regular basis.
    Either you were given the complete wrong information or, as I suspect is more likely, your understanding of the information is incorrect.

What's more telling is your attitude here to being politely given the correct information. You immediately went on the defensive and became aggressive, belligerent, and downright rude in your responses. You are so confidently incorrect that it's almost incomprehensible.

I've followed this thread for a long time and to be honest I always cringed... [sniped -- see moderator reply on the 17/04/2021]

• Advertisement

Is there any reason why locomotives are used for passengers on the Dublin-Belfast and Dublin-Cork journeys? Wouldn’t it be easier if all the trains were the same or is it a case of them being phased out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Is there any reason why locomotives are used for passengers on the Dublin-Belfast and Dublin-Cork journeys? Wouldn’t it be easier if all the trains were the same or is it a case of them being phased out?

The fleets were newer when the 22000 order was placed but calling a spade a spade the 22s back in the day would have been considered a poor product for these premium routes!

How wrong they got it. The DD are arguable better than 22000 but there is little in it once your traveling standard class. It will be all DMUs in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 daverafferty

Thanks be to GOD someones said it at last its been unbearable to watch this guys responses with his "vast rail experience" ,im railway 20 yrs myself and this guy never even got the job yet advising everyone on here about this and that and tellin drivers of 24yrs experience how wrong they must be , again best of luck with RPU !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭strongback

Do Irish Rail give feedback on failed job applications?

I applied for an engineering job and after about 2 months received an email saying my application was unsuccessful and I was not short listed for interview.

I am just wondering as I am well qualified for the job in terms of education and rail work experience. It could be possible I am over qualified for the job I applied for. I would be interested to get some feedback on my application. Has anybody received feedback?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭marksman9999

anyone any info for prep for the line manager interview

• Registered Users Posts: 11 KM259

anyone any info for prep for the line manager interview
    Had mine today. They were very nice. Just have your examples for the competencies and have your research done on different types of trains, stations, etc.. Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭marksman9999

Cheers, best of luck to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

strongback wrote: »
    Do Irish Rail give feedback on failed job applications?

I applied for an engineering job and after about 2 months received an email saying my application was unsuccessful and I was not short listed for interview.

I am just wondering as I am well qualified for the job in terms of education and rail work experience. It could be possible I am over qualified for the job I applied for. I would be interested to get some feedback on my application. Has anybody received feedback?

They don't usually give feedback but send them an email asking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LocoMoto

KM259 wrote: »
    Had mine today. They were very nice. Just have your examples for the competencies and have your research done on different types of trains, stations, etc.. Good luck!

Congrats and best of luck. I have a line manager interview next week so trying to do some prep this weekend.

For the competencies, can you use the same examples as in the previous interview or did they want new examples?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 KM259

LocoMoto wrote: »
    Congrats and best of luck. I have a line manager interview next week so trying to do some prep this weekend.

For the competencies, can you use the same examples as in the previous interview or did they want new examples?

Thanks
    I have no idea. I don’t want to be giving advice that isn’t right, but I used one of the same examples during the interview. There was no mention of the 16pf interview during the line manager interview. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CantThinkOfANam

I was told during the 16pf interview that the questions in the line manager interview would be based on the same scenarios given earlier.

Anyone know if you'll hear anything after the line manager interview and before the medical? Or will you hear it altogether after the medical. Did my line manager interview today. Just wondering will it be radio silence until I do the medical next week.

lynchd12 wrote: »
    Anyone know if you'll hear anything after the line manager interview and before the medical? Or will you hear it altogether after the medical. Did my line manager interview today. Just wondering will it be radio silence until I do the medical next week.

You should get an email requesting two references

I received an email requesting references before my medical.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 uiolfg

I received an email requesting references before my medical.

Wow? cool!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Gerrykelly56

Does anyone have an idea how or when the references will be used?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Arsenal11

As far as I know they don't ring the references atall.. When is applied for my job they never rang my references, requested them but never rang them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Arsenal11

Anyone here from Cork ? Rumour has it some train host and platform jobs will be available soon... Just wondering if ye heard or know anything?

I'm a limerick man desperate to get appointed off the gates #****Craic

Arsenal11 wrote: »
    As far as I know they don't ring the references atall.. When is applied for my job they never rang my references, requested them but never rang them

Sent in my references yesterday and they contacted them today.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Debs86

How did you all fine the Line Manager interview??

I had mine Friday, medical tomorrow.

• Advertisement

I thought it went OK, they were nice, and easy to talk to, I was a bit nervous beforehand but grand once it started, have medical on tues

I've my medical thursday. Do you think we're in the running for the class being formed for may/june? I heard the april class was formed and full already. But if we were being lined up for the september class surely our medicals would be out of date by then, having done them this week?

Or what are other peoples theories?

I haven't a breeze, I'm afraid to count me chickens just yet, until I'm in a classroom I haven't got any job!
    I'd love to know how many people progressed from phase 1.I asked at my line Manager Interview but they keep thier cards close to thier chest.

Yeah all I have is some facts mixed with some rumours. It would be just nice to know how close we are. The only reason I know the april class is full is because I asked a question about it specifically so they almost had to tell me. Otherwise I'd probably still think i was in the running for that class!

Part of me thinks, whoever is doing a medical and passes then surely has a place on the panel that they choose from, why would you send someone for a medical of you werent happy with thier testing and interviews but the other part of me is is still waiting to be given a spot in a classroom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

Part of me thinks, whoever is doing a medical and passes then surely has a place on the panel that they choose from, why would you send someone for a medical of you werent happy with thier testing and interviews but the other part of me is is still waiting to be given a spot in a classroom

pretty much my experience of any role, medical was the last hurdle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DevoteeDM

Hi - does anyone know what the medical entails? I’m worried my eyesight may let me down. I wear glasses all the time and my eyesight is fine then, but without glasses I’m half blind! &#55358;&#56595;

I think glasses are allowed,, google train driver eye test

lynchd12 wrote: »
    Yeah all I have is some facts mixed with some rumours. It would be just nice to know how close we are. The only reason I know the april class is full is because I asked a question about it specifically so they almost had to tell me. Otherwise I'd probably still think i was in the running for that class!

Yeah I asked the same question, I think it’s a case of waiting on the panel if successful for the June or September class or even beyond. I can’t remember what type of trains these classes were for, I remember asking but forget the answer!

I think it was DART but not sure, the impression I got from them was it would be next year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement