Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

introducing my cat to 2 new dogs?

• 04-07-2015 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I am thinking of taking in 2 small dogs (cant be separated). My cat here at home is a rescue cat, shes about 9 years old now. She sleeps in bed with me and its great having her as a pal. she stresses out very easy and while shes not shy, shes just kinda rude in general (normal for a cat really haha).
    Is it a good idea to take these dogs? i'm fairly active so the dogs will be out with me most of the time. But what im worried about is my cat. Shes a lazy indoor cat and doesnt like going out at all.I would hate to stress her out, but when i meet these dogs and find out more about them and their temperments, whether they are quiet and gentle ill know more. What kind of tips would you give for introducing a cat to 2 dogs, who aren't puppies? everything up in the air now, not 100% taking them yet, but just trying to do a bit of research before committing to anything. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You need to ensure several escape routes and esp. higher places the cat go to that the dogs can not in every room and between the rooms ideally; that way the your darling will still feel ownership and have a way to get away if she gets to annoyed. Beyond that do the standard meet & greet by keeping them separate and do scent swapping and only introduce the dogs while on a leash to avoid them being to excited / chase after her directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I did it the other way around - introduced found kitten to resident dogs.
    As Nody says, the dogs would need to be on the leash until you know how they will react.

If they are adult dogs, you can find out whether they are cat friendly/not

My dog who died last year, would NEVER have tolerated a cat in a zillion years - red haze over his eyes when it came to felines - so my poor found kitten would have had to be rehomed or pts if he was around when she arrived.

If she is a resident cat, hopefully she will be brave enough to swipe with claws if the dogs come too close, and put them in their place from day 1. Although 2 dogs with 1 cat maybe not. Worth to try to introduce them one at a time with her.

Is your home big enough, that the dogs can live downstairs, and the cat be moved up to your room/upstiars?

good luck working it out. Hopefully the dogs are ok with cats, and it wont be an issue of her being in danger. hopefully she will be ok with them, give them a wallop to let them know she is boss, and ignore them thereafter (unless, like my cat fall in love with the dog & live happily ever after!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

It's your call OP, but to be honest I wouldn't bring 2 dogs into the house. Your cat is 9 and is used to having the run of the house and of course, your attention. Bringing 2 dogs in will stress her out, no matter what you do. I know other posters will disagree but I just wouldn't do it. We have 4 cats, the oldest is 8 and the youngest is 3 and as much as I would love a dog I know that our cats would be very reluctant to have a puppy around and would never accept an adult dog.

Advertisement