Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meetup.com

• 04-07-2015 8:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I'm a 25yr old male, single and have few friends. Most have either moved away or are busy with their girlfriends etc. Basically I need something to do on the evenings/weekends as I only see my friends maybe once or twice a month and I'm dying of boredom and its kind of lonely too.

My question about meetup.com is, is it usually groups of friends that attend these types of things or do individuals go too. I'm looking for a way to widen my circle of friends, and I can be very shy and quiet but I was just wondering would I be the gooseberry there sitting alone.

Just take for instance a meetup in a pub, do all the meetup members actually meet up in one section/at a table or something or is it more just a case of mingling with people throughout the pub like a regular night out with friends.

Sorry for being so clueless!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Generally people turn up on their own. Of course you start to recognise familiar faces if you are going regularly and the organiser will always be happy to make introductions if you're not comfortable approaching people.
    Usually there is an area/space reserved for the group. You are free to wander the pub but it's not a good idea to go round asking random punters are they in the meet up.
    The vibe is usually very friendly and it's easy enough to strike up conversations as everyone's in the same boat.
    Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

If you do the activity meetups it can be easier than a pub type setting. If you say hiking, you've hiking to talk about, if you like the person you chatting grand, if you don't walk bit faster or slower. Went to a coffee meetup and it just felt a bit less natural than say hiking or tennis or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Love meetup. I've been hiking with a group on there for years!!! I wouldn't be interested in a non activity meetup. I go on social nights out with the activity groups I'm in.

I went on my own! You'll make friends in no time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

Great place to make new best buds.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OK I'm closing this as there is a specific online dating forum here on Boards and you can request access in this thread.(click anywhere in this sentence) There you should get more value and experiences of others. Enjoy and good luck! :)

OK, I've just been informed that Meetup is not a dating site, but because I'm old and dithery and daft I did not know this, so closed the thread in error. The young uns set me right, in between beatings. Worryingly some not so young… I spy a half bottle of Bordeaux in the kitchen, I may need a snifter later.

On the plus side, maybe some of you since joined up to the dating forum and will meet the loves of your lives. *glass half full/backpeddling furiously*.

Thread reopened. *slinks off*

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Meetup.com has such a wide variety of groups to be honest that it's impossible to generalise and say they will all be groups or all individuals.

The best thing to do is just go along to something.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

I used meetup and have made a few good friends from it. I find everyone is in the same boat so most make an effort to chat and get to know you. The one bit of advice I would give you is to try and make small talk. Usually others will start chatting to you if you are new as well. The organiser usually puts up their contact details and updates the meetup with where they are sitting in a pub for example.

Advertisement