Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making someone move

Options
  • 04-07-2015 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

I am living long-term with someone else and renting. We are living in our current place for two years. I don't want to live with him anymore but he won't leave. This place suits me for work and for my kids. I have always paid the rent and have bank transfers to prove it. Is there any way I can fight this?

Comments

Find another place nearby and leave. Conducting guerrila war with an ex in the presence of your kids is not a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

Find another place nearby and leave. Conducting guerrila war with an ex in the presence of your kids is not a good idea.

My kids don't live with us. But maybe you are right.

How do I stand getting my deposit back if he stays?

auldgranny wrote: »

How do I stand getting my deposit back if he stays?

Depends on if he wants to stay or not and if he agrees with you. but in the scale of things its not important. If you need to go, go. The deposit shouldnt stop you.

Depends on if he wants to stay or not and if he agrees with you. but in the scale of things its not important. If you need to go, go. The deposit shouldnt stop you.

I won't have enough for a deposit for a new place without it.

I can see it would probably be more hassle than it's worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Could you just change the locks?

Colser wrote: »
    Could you just change the locks?

I wouldn't think the landlord would like to be stuck in the middle of this. It's ok. I will try move in with a friend till I save the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Who signed the lease? If you both signed it, then you are liable for his share of the rent and he is liable for yours. You probably both need to leave.

Who signed the lease? If you both signed it, then you are liable for his share of the rent and he is liable for yours. You probably both need to leave.

So if I leave I would still have to pay the rent? Feck that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

Well you probably should pay your half but if you leave and don't pay it, he will have to pay it legally - "Joint & Several liability" and all that jazz!

Could you stay put till you've a new deposit saved? Or are you in a situation were you have to move quickly?
    Tbh, if my sanity was at stake I'd just be content to forfeit my deposit and start from scratch.

• Advertisement

Well you probably should pay your half but if you leave and don't pay it, he will have to pay it legally - "Joint & Several liability" and all that jazz!

Could you stay put till you've a new deposit saved? Or are you in a situation were you have to move quickly?
    Tbh, if my sanity was at stake I'd just be content to forfeit my deposit and start from scratch.

yeah I am going to forfeit the deposit. Found a place €200 a month cheaper than I thought. It's not paradise, in fact it's very basic, but it's clean and bright.

Advertisement