Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is this shrub/plant?

Options
  • 04-07-2015 11:17pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A wild shrub started growing this time last year in our garden, its like a mini tree this year, not too tall, barely 5 ft but it seems to grow quite fast. I looked up what it might be and seem to be getting a type of willow tree, but I really don't know. The leaves fall off in the winter.
    It seems to be now growing in another part of garden, and quite small at the moment.

How would this happen without us planting anything? is it just airborne seeds or something else?

Will it be ok to leave grow or should I cut it down?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

It could be Birch which is notorious for spreading like that

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Looks like a Salix species (willow). If you have room let it grow as can be cut back quite hard every year or other year. Or transplant to a place in garden with more space. Can be renewable fire material in time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

woodturner wrote: »
    It could be Birch which is notorious for spreading like that

really? We have what I am pretty sure are 3 birch trees in our garden already, which are there since we bought house almost 10 years ago & are now really tall & full! This doesn't look the same, the base is very thin in comparison, and not white like our 3 trees are.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Gingko wrote: »
    Looks like a Salix species (willow).

yes, this is what I was finding when I googled it!

Why would it have started growing of its own accord? are they ok to leave grow and how big do they get?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    yes, this is what I was finding when I googled it!

Why would it have started growing of its own accord? are they ok to leave grow and how big do they get?

Gets big enough but it depends how you use it? It may be a source of renewable fire material as grows very fast yet can be cut back hard every year or other year.

Maybe transplant it to a more spacious part of garden but willow is light wood and very manageable. They have catkins that carry seed and yes go air born.. if it is salix that is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement