Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Iphone 5 and 5s get the same Ios updates?

• 04-07-2015 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I've had an Iphone 4 for the last number of years, but have gotten frustrated recently, due to some apps needing ios8 and being optimized for later versions of the Iphone (snapchat isn't working anymore etc.), because of this I have decided to upgrade.

My question is, will the Iphone 5 receive the same updates as the 5s into the future, or will they eventually forget about the 5 in 2 years time and start making updates for 5s+ only at some stage.

The other differences between 5 and 5s don't really intrest me. As far as I can make out they are both the same internally, (but I would have thought that the 4 and 4s were the same internally too, but yet the 4s is getting updates and is often more compatible than the 4.:()

Any help is much appreciated, there is around 100 euro difference in price between the 5 and 5s, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

jwof2006 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I've had an Iphone 4 for the last number of years, but have gotten frustrated recently, due to some apps needing ios8 and being optimized for later versions of the Iphone (snapchat isn't working anymore etc.), because of this I have decided to upgrade.

My question is, will the Iphone 5 receive the same updates as the 5s into the future, or will they eventually forget about the 5 in 2 years time and start making updates for 5s+ only at some stage.

The other differences between 5 and 5s don't really intrest me. As far as I can make out they are both the same internally, (but I would have thought that the 4 and 4s were the same internally too, but yet the 4s is getting updates and is often more compatible than the 4.:()

Any help is much appreciated, there is around 100 euro difference in price between the 5 and 5s, thanks.

5S will most probably be supported longer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah the 5s will definitely be supported for longer. It’s got a stronger CPU and graphics. And it’s the first 64-bit iPhone and first with Touch ID. The 5 should still be supported until iOS 10 at least, but Apple will want to go 64-bit only as soon as it can.

The main thing in the 5’s favour is that it shares a common bottleneck with the 5s and 6: 1GB of RAM. In fact, the 32-bit 5 probably has more useable RAM than its successors. This is really going screw up the 6 and 6+ in terms of future feature support. They’ve already missed out on split-screen multitasking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Stay away from the 5, it's going on 3 years as it is. Better off waiting until September when the 6s is out which will make all the older models cheaper, then pick up a 5s or 6 if you get a good deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

jwof2006 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'd even skip the 5s. Checks adverts.ie. It's the sister site of here. Plenty of descents deals if you're prepared to haggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

The lowest you should go for is a 5s it will supported the longest out of the older models . I have a 5s great phone never any slow downs with it. I'll be getting a iPhone 6 in September when the 6s or 7 comes out the prices will drop on both the 5s and iPhone 6 when the new phone comes out . If you can hold out until then I would.

I wouldn't get a iPhone 5 it's most likely the next phone to be dropped for support although the iPhone 4s is still been supported in the new iOS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

I'd also advice to go for at least the 5s. Although I think the 5 will likely be supported as long as the 5c and 5s. The 5s has much better specs than the other 2 but the 5c (which is basically a 5 in a plastic shell) was launched together with the 5s and I think a lot of people will be ticked off if apple stops supporting the 5c this early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Unfortunately the iPhone 5 is soon to be the new iPhone 4; yesterday's phone.

Advertisement