Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you upgrade on my build??

Options
  • 05-07-2015 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering what people would upgrade on my exsisting build?

Acer S240HLBID 24-inch Monitor

16GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-12800U CL9

ASRock H87 Pro4, Sockel 1150, ATX

be quiet! SYSTEM POWER 7

RAIJINTEK Aidos Heat pipe

Samsung SSD 840 EVO Basic 120GB SATA

Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA

Corsair Carbide 500R Micro ATX Midi Tower €100

Intel Xeon E3-1230V3 4x3.30GHz So1150 Box Haswell

MSI R9 270X GAMING 2G graphics card - Radeon R9 270X - 2 GB

I mainly use it for Photoshop and general use. I was thinking of doing a Hackintosh but not sure if my build is compatible or can I dual boot instead. I was goning to install anothrer SSD and have OSX Yosemite installed on that. IS that possible?

Regards,
    Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I think it would be, you'd have to go to the boot menu to choose the secondary SSD to boot into it's OS though.

If you're not gaming, then there's really not much
    If gaming, upgrading the GPU to a 970 or 290 but even that probably isn't necessary.

You could go for an i7 4790k either, but there's really no need IMO

Are you having trouble with it or just have the upgrade bug?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

DS is pretty much on point, for photoshop and general use, there is pretty much no upgrade path on what you already have. Is there any particular reason behind the upgrade other than dual booting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

I think it would be, you'd have to go to the boot menu to choose the secondary SSD to boot into it's OS though.

If you're not gaming, then there's really not much
    If gaming, upgrading the GPU to a 970 or 290 but even that probably isn't necessary.

You could go for an i7 4790k either, but there's really no need IMO

Are you having trouble with it or just have the upgrade bug?

Hi,

Thanks for the thoughts. No issues. Was just interested in finding out what people would upgrade on my build. I am really interested in the Hackintosh dont mind having to boot on ssd each time.

I haven't really found any good step by step guides on how to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks for the thoughts. No issues. Was just interested in finding out what people would upgrade on my build. I am really interested in the Hackintosh dont mind having to boot on ssd each time.

I haven't really found any good step by step guides on how to do this.

Another option would be just to put in a bigger ssd and partition for 2 operating systems. This way you'll just get a prompt to pick which one to use the same way you'd get ask which user account you what to sign into.

You might have more luck looking for guides on dual booting Linux as there is tons on that but would be very similar process.

Ant695 wrote: »
    Another option would be just to put in a bigger ssd and partition for 2 operating systems. This way you'll just get a prompt to pick which one to use the same way you'd get ask which user account you what to sign into.

You might have more luck looking for guides on dual booting Linux as there is tons on that but would be very similar process.

It it possible have a dual boot hackintosh? I though you would have had to have a another drive? I don't mind having 2 separate ssd's.

So looking at my hardware would it be possible to do a hackintosh?

Probably stupid question, but could you recommend a guide to follow that works for all hardware a kind of generic walk through?

Thanks for the replies,
    BobbyT28

• Advertisement

I'd say they're all generic, never seen a guide that changed from PC to PC aside from smaller things

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Sahil123

I'd say if you want to run OSX on your machine you should have a read through the tonymacx86. They have a forum there as well for discussions if you have any questions. I think the card you have is compatible OOB with Mac so no issues there.

You should be good to go with the specs you have I think (check tonymacx86 to make sure). As far as I remember, you'll need a mac with a genuine copy of OSX. Then you download the latest version of OSX, put it on a flash drive and install a new bootloader (I think). From what I read, it's best to have two separate hard drives if you want to dual boot.

I was doing a bit of research myself when I was building my PC but decided against it in the end. It is definitely possible, but it's a good bit of work and will take time to get everything to work.

Sahil123 wrote: »
    I'd say if you want to run OSX on your machine you should have a read through the tonymacx86. They have a forum there as well for discussions if you have any questions. I think the card you have is compatible OOB with Mac so no issues there.

You should be good to go with the specs you have I think (check tonymacx86 to make sure). As far as I remember, you'll need a mac with a genuine copy of OSX. Then you download the latest version of OSX, put it on a flash drive and install a new bootloader (I think). From what I read, it's best to have two separate hard drives if you want to dual boot.

I was doing a bit of research myself when I was building my PC but decided against it in the end. It is definitely possible, but it's a good bit of work and will take time to get everything to work.

Cheers man. Yeah id say it should be OK. I have a genuine copy. Is it just as easy as loading installer on to USB using one of the methods on tonymacx86 and installing it on the new ssd?

Yeah I think it would be better having it on a separate ssd and getting another 1TB hard drive hackintosh. So effectively having two pcs in one.

Thanks
    BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Sahil123

Well as far as I remember it is as easy as putting the installer on the USB and following the method on tonymacx86! But remember that there could be unexpected problems after the install. Like for example, the WiFi or bluetooth may not work. Just don't expect it to work perfectly even if you follow the instructions correctly! I'm not saying that it won't, I hope it does, but you have to expect the unexpected.

On second thoughts, I'm not full sure about that processor. It should work I'd say, but the guides I read through recommended the 4th generation Intel i3/i5/i7 processors. Again, have a look on that website and after doing a bit of reading, if you still have questions, post on that forum. The lads there are quite helpful from what I remember!

Good luck on your build anyway. It will be quite a powerful hackintosh at the end of it!

Sahil123 wrote: »
    Well as far as I remember it is as easy as putting the installer on the USB and following the method on tonymacx86! But remember that there could be unexpected problems after the install. Like for example, the WiFi or bluetooth may not work. Just don't expect it to work perfectly even if you follow the instructions correctly! I'm not saying that it won't, I hope it does, but you have to expect the unexpected.

On second thoughts, I'm not full sure about that processor. It should work I'd say, but the guides I read through recommended the 4th generation Intel i3/i5/i7 processors. Again, have a look on that website and after doing a bit of reading, if you still have questions, post on that forum. The lads there are quite helpful from what I remember!

Good luck on your build anyway. It will be quite a powerful hackintosh at the end of it!
    Thanks a mill for all the advise. Might just give it a go and see how I get on.

• Advertisement

It it possible have a dual boot hackintosh? I though you would have had to have a another drive? I don't mind having 2 separate ssd's.

So looking at my hardware would it be possible to do a hackintosh?

Probably stupid question, but could you recommend a guide to follow that works for all hardware a kind of generic walk through?

Thanks for the replies,
    BobbyT28

I've only done it with Linux but from what I had read should be no problem having a parition for osx as well as some of the guides I read suggested you could have a windows,Linux and osx all on one drive on one machine if you wanted. I'll have a look for the specific guides I read later when I'm on the computer as phone **** for that and post any relevant links.

I've only done it with Linux but from what I had read should be no problem having a parition for osx as well as some of the guides I read suggested you could have a windows,Linux and osx all on one drive on one machine if you wanted. I'll have a look for the specific guides I read later when I'm on the computer as phone **** for that and post any relevant links.

That would be great thanks.

Windows doesn't like playing with other OS's so Mightn't be that easy for the grub

Windows doesn't like playing with other OS's so Mightn't be that easy for the grub

TBH I think I might just install it clean on a new SSD and use a spare 2TB Seagate I have as storage and just change the boot sequence anytime I want to switch between OS's

What you think?

Thanks for all the comments and advise, much appreciated

BobbyT28

TBH I think I might just install it clean on a new SSD and use a spare 2TB Seagate I have as storage and just change the boot sequence anytime I want to switch between OS's

What you think?

Thanks for all the comments and advise, much appreciated

BobbyT28

Having looked in more detail at doing it with windows and os x it definitely looks like alot less hassle to have them on seperate drives as there can be conflict depending on which you install first etc... on the same drive.

Having looked in more detail at doing it with windows and os x it definitely looks like alot less hassle to have them on seperate drives as there can be conflict depending on which you install first etc... on the same drive.

Yeah, just picked up 128gb ssd and 2TB Seagate barracuda. Created unibeast bookable drive last night so gonna give it a go later today or tomorrow. Will let you know how I get on

Thanks again folks.

BobbyT28

OK, OS X Yosemite installed. Just about to start on Multibeast.

What options to I select for my motherboard and SSD? I have the following already checked,

Audio: ALC892

disk: atheos 3rd party eSATA . (should I choose something different as I am using SSD for boot drive)

trimmer enabled: 10.10.3 TRIM Patch

Misc: Atheos USB 3.0

Network: AppleIntelE1000e v3.01a ( Not sure what I should check here)

System: nothing checked

Boatloaders: Chimera v4.1.0

Customize

Boot options: Basic Boot options, Hibernation mode desktop, IGPEnabler=No (not sure about this), Kext dev mode, use Kernal cache

System Definitions: Not sure what to check! Maybe iMac 15.1 ?

Themes: Tonymacx86 Black

Any help would be great.

Thanks BobbyT28

OK, OS X Yosemite installed. Just about to start on Multibeast.

What options to I select for my motherboard and SSD? I have the following already checked,

Audio: ALC892

disk: atheos 3rd party eSATA . (should I choose something different as I am using SSD for boot drive)

trimmer enabled: 10.10.3 TRIM Patch

Misc: Atheos USB 3.0

Network: AppleIntelE1000e v3.01a ( Not sure what I should check here)

System: nothing checked

Boatloaders: Chimera v4.1.0

Customize

Boot options: Basic Boot options, Hibernation mode desktop, IGPEnabler=No (not sure about this), Kext dev mode, use Kernal cache

System Definitions: Not sure what to check! Maybe iMac 15.1 ?

Themes: Tonymacx86 Black

Any help would be great.

Thanks BobbyT28

Tried multibeast with the above settings now getting the following error. Looks.like a kernel panic or something. Any ideas

Might have resolved it. did -x at boot options screen. Reinstalled multibeast and select NullCPUPower management under drivers. Restarted and everything boot up perfect.

I followed this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q4gQq0nngQ

Regards,
    BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Nice to see you're getting it working. I tried a few years ago and it seems they've really polished the whole process. I tried when my board was relatively new and the guide basically said "now manually write out your own kext and reference all the 0x3748278 0x78423987423987423 4239847 23984723948723948723498273489" then I gave up for a while.

After getting it all working and sleep mode and all that finally working flash and my onboard audio just wouldn't work no matter what I did so I gave up and undid it all.

• Advertisement

now i'm getting Boot0 error!

Any ideas?

tried this,

Solution 1: Use UniBeast
    Pros: Easy- OS X Only
    Cons: Requires use of the Terminal and UniBeast drive.

How To Do it:
    1. Install using UniBeast
    2. Boot new installation using UniBeast created USB.
    3. Run MultiBeast and install as normal
    4. Reboot system back into OS X installer.
    5. Run Disk Utility and unmount the drive you installed OS X on. Right click on the volume and select Unmount.
    6. Launch Terminal and execute the following command:

Code:
    dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2
    7. Exit Terminal
    8. Reboot Normally

NOTE: The above instructions are based on OS X being installed to a hard drive connected to SATA port 0. If you are using a different port you will need to get the drive device name from Disk Utility by selecting the volume and clicking Info.

Still not working this is the screen i am seeing (see attched0

Nice to see you're getting it working. I tried a few years ago and it seems they've really polished the whole process. I tried when my board was relatively new and the guide basically said "now manually write out your own kext and reference all the 0x3748278 0x78423987423987423 4239847 23984723948723948723498273489" then I gave up for a while.

After getting it all working and sleep mode and all that finally working flash and my onboard audio just wouldn't work no matter what I did so I gave up and undid it all.

Process is an awful lot straight forward apart from the error i am getting!! :mad:

Just can't work it out!! Can boot into my Yoemite instal with -x on boot screen from USB but just can't do a normal reboot and boot from SSD I have Yosemite installed on!! Grrrrrr

I don't think I ever had that error. I removed all other drives bar the one I was installing on, mostly so I couldn't accidentally break my windows install. But it was basically a case of booting from the usb, installing osx to the ssd and booting with a flag that stopped it from freaking out at my gpu. when you boot up onto the ssd do you see the os selection thing? if not you probably didn't do the multibeast bit right and should try it again from that point

I don't think I ever had that error. I removed all other drives bar the one I was installing on, mostly so I couldn't accidentally break my windows install. But it was basically a case of booting from the usb, installing osx to the ssd and booting with a flag that stopped it from freaking out at my gpu. when you boot up onto the ssd do you see the os selection thing? if not you probably didn't do the multibeast bit right and should try it again from that point

I am at the point where I can only boot using USB. So when I boot up PC I see USB and SSD that I install Yosemite (Labelled Yosemite) I then have to press -x and select Yosemite install, this affectingly removes the multibeast options a selected previously and lets me start again.

hm ok I'm not really sure I could give good advice since I didn't run into an issue like that.

Maybe have a look at http://www.macbreaker.com/2014/11/how-to-use-multibeast-7-yosemite-guide.html if you haven't already

also go through http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/143976-unibeast-install-os-x-yosemite-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html again and make sure you've definitely done all of the steps just in case you might have messed up before

boot0 error page too (I know you linked from this earlier but just to have all the links in one place) http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/65706-boot0-error-official-guide.html

hm ok I'm not really sure I could give good advice since I didn't run into an issue like that.

Maybe have a look at http://www.macbreaker.com/2014/11/how-to-use-multibeast-7-yosemite-guide.html if you haven't already

also go through http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/143976-unibeast-install-os-x-yosemite-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html again and make sure you've definitely done all of the steps just in case you might have messed up before

boot0 error page too (I know you linked from this earlier but just to have all the links in one place) http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/65706-boot0-error-official-guide.html

Sorted!

This guide fixed my issue. ufi partition problem. Rebooted twice now with out an issue.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/115818-install-bootloader-extra-efi-partition.html

Now to optimizing OS X. Any tips?

Thanks agin guy's for all the support in this. All in all it wasn't that bad of a install. The boot0 had me for a while and was starting to get fustrated. Thank god I found this. Happened to come across the above link in this thread:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/65706-boot0-error-official-guide-34.html

Might be back on soon after I try to install drivers etc, whats the best way to do this?

Regards,
    BobbyT28

I never got to the stage you're at so can help even less than before, for optimising there's not much that needs doing other than just getting all the features working properly. did you get a kext that supports your motherboards sound and network interfaces? If not then that would be the place to start and get that fully functional

I never got to the stage you're at so can help even less than before, for optimising there's not much that needs doing other than just getting all the features working properly. did you get a kext that supports your motherboards sound and network interfaces? If not then that would be the place to start and get that fully functional

Not sure if I got Kext or not? Is that something I have to download separate?

• Advertisement

Not sure if I got Kext or not? Is that something I have to download separate?

kexts are just like config files for unibeat or multibeast can't remember which and they tell it what components your computer has so you can use them. just quickly looking at tonymac now though it looks like nobody uses them anymore so they may have been completely replaced with something else

Advertisement