Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you upgrade on my build??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

kexts are just like config files for unibeat or multibeast can't remember which and they tell it what components your computer has so you can use them. just quickly looking at tonymac now though it looks like nobody uses them anymore so they may have been completely replaced with something else

So I have been playing around with this for the last few days. No issues booting using Chimera.

The issues I have at the moment:

No audio (Installed ALC892) I can airplay to my surround sound in the room so thats ok for the time being!!

The resolution doesn't look amazing. I followed Tonymac's guide and didn't tick Intel HD grphics driver when setting it up. Can I just open Chimera and select audio and graphics and install them again without installing anything else? Don't wan to ruin setup.

iMessage not working, I have followed one guide but have been unable to get it working.

I heard that clover is much better at getting things working from the get go, so I was going to ,make a clover bootable USB and try it out? Is it striaght forward?

When I boot with Clover how the hell do I keep this as my boot loader and remove chimera? Is it just a case of removing boot file from EFI partition and copying all the files from Clover bootable USB drive to the EFI partition?

Thanks again for all the help guys,

BobbyT28

Hi,

Wanted to try out Clover bootloader as they say it is better for getting iMessage working etc.

Installed Clover on EFI partition Yosemite HDD along side boot folder which is Chemira (i believe).

How do I get clover to boot Yosemite instead of Chimera?

BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Very interesting thread. I just completed a build with windows as my OS. Why do you want 2 operating systems anyway? The only benefit I can think of for me trying this, is having Facetime installed (if it was possible) to have on the big screen.

Do your old files and systems work OK with the mac os, aside from the sound and visual issues you are currently having.

goz83 wrote: »
    Very interesting thread. I just completed a build with windows as my OS. Why do you want 2 operating systems anyway? The only benefit I can think of for me trying this, is having Facetime installed (if it was possible) to have on the big screen.

Do your old files and systems work OK with the mac os, aside from the sound and visual issues you are currently having.

Purely as a hobby! I wantd to see how it would run on my build. I have to say I am well impressed and if I can thinker out the little issues with imessage and graphcs card I can see myself using this as my daily driver.

My setup as of now is.

Setup
    1 x SSD for Windows 7 os
    1 x SSD with OS X Yosemite

1 x 1TB HDD for Windows
    1 x 2TB HDD for Yosemite (It's the only drive I had spare)

At the moment they are not dual boot per say. To switch in between Os's I just have to go into BIOS and change boot order (I have windows drives disconnected at the moment while I setup OS X)! nothing major. I am sure that there is a way to do this through Chimera that I haven't looked into.

If you are interested in doing this I would recommend it, a bit tidious at the start with errors and Kernal panics etc. but once you get booted with Chimera you are nearly home.

I am trying to switch from booting with Chimera to Clover (Hoping someone here can fingure out why the problem I am having). From reading the forums, Clover is better at setting it up from the get go and your imessage and facetime work with out having to tinker too much. Use clover if you decide to do a Hackintosh.

Regards,
    BobbyT28

Update:

I got Clover install on USB and can boot using this. But for some reason I am unable to boot from SSD. I followed all the guides but just can't figure it out!

This is the guide I followed:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/144426-how-install-os-x-yosemite-using-clover.html

I can boot from USB so I just copied the files from clover on US to EFI partition on my HDD where Yosemite is installed.

Still no luck!!

Any iDeas?

Thanks,
    BobbyT28

• Advertisement

Not sure if anyone is still reading this but anyway.

Got Clover installed and bootable from SSD. I think i messed up the EFI prtition on my SSD when trying to set it up. So this morning i did a fresh install using this guide:
    http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/144426-how-install-os-x-yosemite-using-clover.html

I installed the custom BIOS settings onto Clover EFi on SSD. I will sort out audio and what not later. I can now boot from SSD :-)

Setup Time Machine to backup to my Synology.

Hope this has helped someone.

Regards,
    BobbyT28

Sorry for dragging up an old thread.

So I installed OSX and enjoyed that for a while then got bored with it! So have windows 10 installed now.

I was looking to upgrade a few parts so I could game a bit but also be able to continue using the PC for what i've been using it for before i.e Photoshop etc.

Also want to change the case for something a little smaller

Could you recommend the following upgrades that would enable me to game also? I think I may just need to change Grahics card as the PC is a good spec (I think)

I would also be selling the upgraded parts so I would be able to put this to new upgrades

CPU (If needed)
    Graphics Card
    Mobo (If needed)
    RAM (Not sure I need to upgrade, could do it later)

Current setup:
    Acer S240HLBID 24-inch Monitor

16GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-12800U CL9

ASRock H87 Pro4, Sockel 1150, ATX

be quiet! SYSTEM POWER 7

RAIJINTEK Aidos Heat pipe

Samsung SSD 840 EVO Basic 120GB SATA

Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA

Corsair Carbide 500R Micro ATX Midi Tower €100

Intel Xeon E3-1230V3 4x3.30GHz So1150 Box Haswell

MSI R9 270X GAMING 2G graphics card - Radeon R9 270X - 2 GB

Thanks in advance
    BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You could game fine on a 270X

You could game fine on a 270X

Hi Thanks,

I probably wasn't clear, I was looking to future proof. I haven't gamed on PC in years so a buit out of my depth on this. Would this be able to run GTA, COD, Rainbow six etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

At 1080p on medium graphics settings I think the 270X should still be grand. For future proofing, you came back a few months early. AMD are releasing their new cards soon which should be around the spec you are looking for. So as long as you don't mind dialling a few settings back, you can play all those games right now. Keep an eye on news of AMD Polaris.

If you aren't attached to AMD, the nvidia GTX 1070 comes out in a few weeks which will blast through those games. You can also go looking second hand on adverts.ie for some GTX970. Lots of people are jumping on the new cards so there are a wealth of them available. Still a very good card that will run those games at High/Ultra at 1080p.

• Advertisement

Xenoronin wrote: »
    At 1080p on medium graphics settings I think the 270X should still be grand. For future proofing, you came back a few months early. AMD are releasing their new cards soon which should be around the spec you are looking for. So as long as you don't mind dialling a few settings back, you can play all those games right now. Keep an eye on news of AMD Polaris.

If you aren't attached to AMD, the nvidia GTX 1070 comes out in a few weeks which will blast through those games. You can also go looking second hand on adverts.ie for some GTX970. Lots of people are jumping on the new cards so there are a wealth of them available. Still a very good card that will run those games at High/Ultra at 1080p.

Cheers for all that info.

What about the the MSi 290x?

so...thinking of upgrading my 750ti, should I go for a 390x as I planned or a 1070? assuming prices will be similar enough? (roughly..) or I might just wait for the new AMD cards.
    Wait for new AMD cards, or go 1070.

1070 outperforms 390x by a large margin & sips >100W less power.

Directly from the 1080/1070 discussion thread. Hold the horses and you will get a much better card. Your PSU I can assume is probably a 500W. With the 390X (rebranded 290X) you will be really cutting it close on power requirements.

Ok,

So I think i'll leave upgrading GPU, MOBO and CPU until later in the year.

But I would like to get a case with a Glass window in the side but smaller than case I have already:

Corsair CC-9011012-WW Carbide Series 500R Windowed Mid-Tower ATX Performance Computer Case

Any suggestions?

Thanks again for all the help
    BobbyT28

With a full ATX board, you wouldn't be getting much space saving by swapping the case, but I'll let others throw a few suggestions out there for you. I don't know enough cases to help. Looking at the case itself, it looks like it's pretty long. You might get some space savings there.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1399285/smallest-atx-case-possible
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/363939-28-smallest-full-sized-case

These threads might point you in the right direction.

With a full ATX board, you wouldn't be getting much space saving by swapping the case, but I'll let others throw a few suggestions out there for you. I don't know enough cases to help. Looking at the case itself, it looks like it's pretty long. You might get some space savings there.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1399285/smallest-atx-case-possible
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/363939-28-smallest-full-sized-case

These threads might point you in the right direction.

Yeah it is very long. If I could make it short on height and lenght that would be great.

What about this?

NZXT S340 White Steel ATX Mid Tower Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146189

Seems failry small compared to my one.

Corsair 500r 58.8 x 52.1 x 20.6
    NZXT S340 17.51" x 7.87" x 17.00" (H x W x D)

IS that right? Would that fit a ATX board, it says it does!

Buy from amazon.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/NZXT-S340-White-Tower-Case/dp/B00NZI69JU

Saves about 3" off the height and depth. Ever so slightly thinner.

I would recommend a black case. White is so pretty, but so hard to keep clean.

Buy from amazon.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/NZXT-S340-White-Tower-Case/dp/B00NZI69JU

Saves about 3" off the height and depth. Ever so slightly thinner.

I would recommend a black case. White is so pretty, but so hard to keep clean.

Yeah, might bite the bullet and get that in black red.

Probably a stupid questions, but can I switch the window to the other side? I set my PC to the left of me beside a wall, so would be a shame not to be able to see the interior

Have a few components, that are red so could go nicely. Cheers.

Keep the suggestions coming

• Advertisement
Advertisement