Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock & Metal Mash Ups

Options
  • 05-07-2015 1:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭

We're all aware (no doubt) of mashed up tunes; songs blended together to form a new whole. Well, some people have been applying their "magic" to well known and well loved metal tunes. The results of some have been absolutely stunning and well worth a listen. Below are some I picked out that really stood out for me, for reasons I'll try to explain in a brief run through.

Feel free to comment and add more!

1. "The Final Teen Spirit"

A mash-up of probably the two most polar opposite bands ever: Europe and Nirvana (and both playing their signature songs).

Europe were the prettiest of the pretty boys of 80's glam metal; the poodle permed hair, the glammy get ups, the light-touch make up, the bombastic songs, the lot.

Nirvana were not the first grunge band, but they were the first one to break properly big and propelled grunge from clubs and garages to stadiums and the public consciousness in a huge way. The grimy, DIY nature of Nirvana and grunge stood in direct contrast to Europe and their ilk.

The combination of the two is a unique juxtaposition of both musical genres and, stunningly and surprisingly, it works. And it is actually quite brilliant as a rock/metal song.

2. "Enter You"

Again, two hugely popular musical acts but with very different ethos-es; Metallica and Bryan Adams could hardly be considered closely related at all.

I don't think Metallica need much of an intro here, do they? An incredible band that have inspired every single kid (either directly or indirectly) that picked up an electric guitar for the past 30 years or so.

Bryan Adams. Two words spring to mind whenever I think of Mr. Adams: Canadian Twigboy. Maybe that's a bit harsh on Mr. Adams, but he was never a musician I could warm to, but I did quite like a couple of his songs. But arguably the most deservingly successful musical act to come out of Canada (Justin Bieber might be successful, but hardly deservingly so).

Combining the pop fluff of Adams with the guttural growl of Hetfield yields a surprisingly good song that is also very funny (and the title is tongue-in-cheek dirty too).

3. "A Hard Girls' Night"

Two more giants of their respective eras, and also progenitors of countless imitators in their wake. The 1960's gave us The Beatles, the 1980's gave us Motley Crue.

Combining the (sometimes not so) clean cut image and sound of The Beatles with the grime and slime of The Crue is brilliant. And again, in a weird way, the bloody thing just works! It syncs up and works and is a pretty cracking song!

Anyone got any more?! I'm loving these things, I'm laughing and I'm loving it in equal measure!

Advertisement