Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online searchable database

Options
  • 05-07-2015 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

I want to put a simple database on a website that allows visitors search it for results but I don't want anyone to be able to copy the full database.

It's a list of about 20,000 pieces of information each associated with a name, there are about 4,000 names

I want the visitor to find all the results with the surname "murphy" for example but that they can't copy the full 20,000 entries.

At the moment I just have it in Microsoft Access and search it with a query but I don't believe that's a great online solution

Any advise would be welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Robus wrote: »
    I want to put a simple database on a website that allows visitors search it for results but I don't want anyone to be able to copy the full database.

It's a list of about 20,000 pieces of information each associated with a name, there are about 4,000 names

I want the visitor to find all the results with the surname "murphy" for example but that they can't copy the full 20,000 entries.

At the moment I just have it in Microsoft Access and search it with a query but I don't believe that's a great online solution

Any advise would be welcome

Basically you want to copy the database to something like SQL Server \MySQL and build a front end to interrogate it.

You planning to do this yourself? Is it a commercial venture or a personal project!?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Robus

TonyStark wrote: »
    Basically you want to copy the database to something like SQL Server \MySQL and build a front end to interrogate it.

You planning to do this yourself? Is it a commercial venture or a personal project!?

It’s personal (as in non-profit), but it could prove popular.
    My aim would be to do it myself but I’ve been technically beaten by SQL Server so far.
    Am I allowed to ask her for assistance and offer to pay someone to provide a guide to setting up SQL and getting it running?

If I'm not can Mods delete please.

Robus wrote: »
    It’s personal (as in non-profit), but it could prove popular.
    My aim would be to do it myself but I’ve been technically beaten by SQL Server so far.
    Am I allowed to ask her for assistance and offer to pay someone to provide a guide to setting up SQL and getting it running?

If I'm not can Mods delete please.

It's not that difficult really, since you are using access it will be relatively straight forward. It's just too find a web host that supports it.

You could do it locally by downloading SQL Express and having a play around. Happy to give you hand if you want to drop me a DM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

While the database itself cannot be copied if you have an interface that allows users to view the data then data could be copied.(This the same for any DB SQL Server/Oracle/MySql).

If you are presenting data to users there is nothing you can do to stop them copying your data. You could make them sign up and have T&Cs but you would them have to enforce them which is a civil matter.

post what you've tried and what issues you are having. You should be able to get some good help here.

I know that visitors will be able to copy results that is the service I what I want to provide.

What I want is if someone puts in “Murphy” they get the Murphy results, perhaps with the 40 results spread over 4 separate pages, (to make trying to copy the full list difficult)

What I don’t want is someone to put in a wild card of “?” for example and get a list of all 20,000 results on a page they can copy.

So with TonyShark’s advice I downloaded “My SQL Server 2014” which led me to (only) SQL Server 2014 import and export wizard, where I imported my database but I am stuck on “chose a destination”

My web site hosting company offers me “add a new database” (see attached), but I don’t know what options to choose.

• Advertisement

Since your website is using MySQL, the first task is to load your data from the MS Access to MySQL

Just to be clear on terminology "MySQL" is a database technology and should not be confused with the Microsoft Database Server "SQL Server". The SQL Server import wizard cannot be used to load MS Access into MySQL.

What would be more useful is to firstly determine the version of MySQL on your website hosting providers interface. The next would be to install something like MySQL Workbench which has a similar tool set to the wizard as displayed in your screenshot...only that it facilitates the importing of data into MySQL in a similar fashion.

https://www.mysql.com/products/workbench/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭kyote00

How about

a) nedb - store your stuff
    https://github.com/louischatriot/nedb

b) node.js/express
    webserver + nedb embedded

c) bootstrap
    build a funky UI

Host it all on heroku (for free)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

kyote00 wrote: »
    How about

b) node.js/express

c) bootstrap
    build a funky UI

OP is struggling with SQL, you reckon it's a good idea to throw a dozen new technologies into the mix?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭kyote00

Hardly a dozen new technologies ?

In fact, they are all javascript, all have one or two line install procedures, all have existing templates/examples to use ......

Lets him get going on his business idea without spending years figuring out SQL

Anyways, now he has a choice ...

Graham wrote: »
    throw a dozen new technologies into the mix?

TonyStark wrote: »

What would be more useful is to firstly determine the version of MySQL on your website hosting providers interface. The next would be to install something like MySQL Workbench

I use (am I allowed say?) to host my site who say in their Knowledgebase: Shared Windows Hosting
    When asked about what versions of PHP & MySQL do you provide? They answer
    The current version of PHP on our shared hosting platform is PHP 5.3.29
    The current version of MySQL on our production database servers is MySQL 5.1.70

I have downloaded MySQL Workbench
    kyote00 wrote: »
    How about

b) node.js/express
    c) bootstrap
    build a funky UI

I think Graham may be correct in one struggle at a time, thanks

Next i will contact my hosting service provider tomorrow to see if i have (paid for) MYSQL options on my site and any passwords / settings i may need

Thanks all
    This may be a long thread :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement