Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best course of action on this overgrown area?

Options
  • 05-07-2015 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    I was wondering what would be the best course of action to take.I have attached a picture to show the area, mix of grass,nettles, doc, etc.. .Basically I want to clear back a couple of feet in order to paint the fence. Do I just bite the bullet and strim it back or should I spray it with something, or.... ?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

I'd strim it. Wash (maybe even lightly powerhose) all the bits of nettles, dock pieces off and then paint it. You have it all done in a few days instead of waiting the weeks for weedkiller to kill everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

PeteFalk78 wrote: »
    I'd strim it. Wash (maybe even lightly powerhose) all the bits of nettles, dock pieces off and then paint it. You have it all done in a few days instead of waiting the weeks for weedkiller to kill everything.

Thanks for the reply.Would it be a good idea to spray it with something after it's been strimmed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

Depends whether you care about weeds being there after you paint it.
    After spraying it it will keep it weed free for around 4-6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'd urge caution spraying an area like this.. Often spraying will only have a real effect on the grass.. The grass will be permanently killed and stuff like docks and every other weed under the sun will return with vengeance and it will look even worse..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

gooner99 wrote: »
    ...Basically I want to clear back a couple of feet in order to paint the fence...

If that is all you want then a shuffle across it with size 10 or greater wellies will temporarily flatten 99% for the duration!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Thanks for the replies.the last solution sounds easier than strimming.will give it a shot first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Cover up well!
    Hope it woks for you.

Advertisement