Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trad session pubs

Options
  • 05-07-2015 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Hi all!

Looking for recommendations for a pub that has live traditional Irish music in Galway City Centre, or not too far out (Salthill or the like), on Friday nights (I'll be in Galway on the 24th of July)

Have found a couple of lists here: http://galwaycitypubguide.com/trad-music-galway.html

and here: http://www.galwaytourism.ie/ptop-5-traditionalmusicpubs.html but don't know which are any good.

I'm travelling with my OH's parents (in their late 60s) and two children (aged 9 and 11), so a few questions.

What are the rules about children in pubs in the evenings? Also what is general tolerated assuming the rules aren't strictly observed?

Which pubs would have a good chance of getting seats? And wouldn't have too many flights of stairs for the toilets?

Which pubs have craft beer? (Not a priority, just wondering)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The rules regarding children in pubs are the same here as where you're coming from. Alcohol and kids don't mix :)
    Crane, the most famous trad place have women's toilet upstairs where the music is. The men's is downstairs where you enter the pub.
    You have to be early to get seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

biko wrote: »
    The rules regarding children in pubs are the same here as where you're coming from. Alcohol and kids don't mix :).

Sorry Biko, but the official rule in Ireland is no kids in pubs after 9pm. Before that it's ok, no matter how much some of us think it's wrong.

Enforced in most places.

Trad sessions in Taffes, Coilis and Foxes in the early evening 5:30 ish each day
    day. Don't know what toilet access is like in Taffes, the others are down a flight of stairs.

Other places have sessions on specific days, but usually late, ie 9:30 or 10 start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

A place where there can be exceptions (or a bit of a stretch to the 9pm rule) is where there's session on in a hotel. Not sure what night but The Western does sessions, and during the summer perhaps a hotel or two in Salthill. Country pubs (sometimes) allow that rule to be stretched a bit, but it is the law.

Yeah, I just meant the rules are same here as in Waterford, Athlone, Cork or wherever OP is driving in from.
    Kids can attend during day and early evening but not late.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

How about the Trad on the Prom show? It's on in Salthill a few times a week during the summer. It's Irish music and dancing. It would be a better option for the kids, although obviously won't have the same feel as a genuine session. You are arriving at the end of the arts festival so there will be loads of extra music etc see galway arts festival website for info

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Muckracker

The Crane would be your best option I'd say. The only issue might be the stairs as the sessions are usually held upstairs. No craft beer or tvs thankfully. Good Guinness too.

The people who run it are sound so they'll probably let the kids stay as long as they behave. No problem having kids in the pub as long as the parents keep an eye on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Barr an Chaladh. Woodquay. Music every night. Not sure what night is solely trad. They have a Facebook page with upcoming events etc afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭ceatharloch

Yes, you could try the Western Hotel on a Thursday night (9.30pm), sometimes families with kids etc.
    stay and listen to the music session
    http://westernhotelgalway.ie/bar/traditional-music/

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

The Galway Arts Festival is on then. There's probably lunch time trads sessions on.

http://www.giaf.ie/events/day/24-july

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

I'd say the Crane is your best bet. I brought my parents to a session there a few years back and there was a child playing the fiddle as part of the group performing, and a few well behaved kids in the audience too. Get there early to get a seat, especially on a Friday night.

Some cleanup done. This is not a thread or forum to rack down on a mentioned establishment.
    As per usual, recommendations welcome but not anti-recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Just seen that Monroe's have lunchtime trad music on over the arts festival weeks. Not every day so check before you travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to answer. Unfortunately, I just couldn't work a trad session into the visit, as one pub had an early session (around 5:30 I think) that was too early as we were still enjoying the beauty of Connemara, and the later sessions were too late for young kids to be out.

I'll leave them all home the next time!

Advertisement