Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree as a baptism present.

Options
  • 05-07-2015 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

I'm looking for suggestions as I'm hoping to get my godson a tree for his baptism. I'd like to get a medium sized flowering tree. Price up to €70. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

where are you based?
    tully's nurseries in north county dublin would be one of the better stocked places.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Chickus

Tree Co sell gifts of trees on website. .It's very informative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Great idea. Both our children received trees as gifts when they were babies as well, it's lovely to see them grow along with the trees.
    The trees were a walnut, and a Cornus controversa variegata. We have a lot of space though, both of those trees are wide.

As for what would suit, depends on the garden really.

I love laburnums, but some families with children don't like them as the seeds are poisonous. My own children have never eaten them though, same as they don't eat holly berries.

Cherry blossoms are stunning, and there are some amazing japanese varieties. Speaking of japanese, the caramel tree is a lovely one. Cercidiphyllum japonicum, or the Katsura tree. http://www.barlownurseries.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/2013/10/Cercidiphyllum-japonicum-autumn-colours.jpg It smells like warm sugar in the autumn, and has the most stunning autumn colour you've ever seen.

Hawthorns are a great flowering tree as well. Crataegus paul's scarlet is very vivid.

When was the baby born? Maybe something that flowers around that time?

Advertisement