Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York and somewhere else?!

Options
  • 05-07-2015 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭

Hi, possible 9 day trip to NYC coming up. We've been before so would like to spend maybe 4 days there, going to family in Philadelphia for 2 nights. Had originally planned on coming back to NY for the last few nights but thinking now we could go somewhere else instead but unsure where. Possibly Atlantic City but as we've been to Vegas would it be a disappointment?! Have been to Washington & Boston before. Maybe Niagra & Toronto but it's very far for a few days I think.

Any insight? We like to see the touristy sights and history, not bothered about shopping. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

toadfly wrote: »
    Hi, possible 9 day trip to NYC coming up. We've been before so would like to spend maybe 4 days there, going to family in Philadelphia for 2 nights. Had originally planned on coming back to NY for the last few nights but thinking now we could go somewhere else instead but unsure where. Possibly Atlantic City but as we've been to Vegas would it be a disappointment?! Have been to Washington & Boston before. Maybe Niagra & Toronto but it's very far for a few days I think.

Any insight? We like to see the touristy sights and history, not bothered about shopping. Thanks.

Atlantic City is depressing. To me anyways. Just a bleak place. I'm not a gambler but still enjoy Vegas. Wouldn't have any interest in going back to Atlantic City.

I'd have suggested Boston but you've already been. Same with Washington. Toronto and Niagra would be too far if not flying. You could stay in New York and go somewhere upstate like Lake George. Couple of hours drive. Lots of cool towns in New York state.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

You could look at Chicago. About a 2 hour flight from Philadelphia and you can fly home to Ireland direct from Chicago.
    I was there a few years ago and liked it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If you're flying, Syracuse and/or Buffalo are quite nice in my experience - but really, it's so subjective to your personal interests. So get the map out, start Google-ing, and see what dings your bell

You could look at Chicago. About a 2 hour flight from Philadelphia and you can fly home to Ireland direct from Chicago.
    I was there a few years ago and liked it a lot.

I'll second this, if you're willing to go that far: getting flights from Philly to Chicago won't be an issue as they are both American Airlines hubs. It is a fantastic city (just avoid the height of summer and the depth of winter!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

We're looking at September dates so imagine quite a good time to travel over. Was thinking fly into one airport and out of another. Are one way car rentals easy to organize or would there be an extra one way fee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Hi, possible 9 day trip to NYC coming up. We've been before so would like to spend maybe 4 days there, going to family in Philadelphia for 2 nights.
    How much of historic Philadelphia have you seen? I often find that when you're visiting family, you don't visit the city as a tourist, so ou might want to look into that. If you're interested in American History, Valley Forge is 45 minutes outside the city - the locals use it as a large park but there are interesting monuments and a good museum. If you're more interested in the Civil War, Gettysburg is about 2.5 hours drive from Philly, and you pass through Amish country to get there.

Longwood Gardens is about an hour south of the city, and can easily take up most of a day - the DuPont home at Winterthur is a bit further out, and is also fascinating. If you do go down that way, you can see Eagles at the Conowingo Dam, but it's a bit out of the way.

If you're in the Philadelphia area over a weekend before the end of September, put the Cowtown Rodeo on your schedule. This is a real, working rodeo every Saturday night during the summer in South Jersey, about an hour from Philly. It's not just a show for the tourists, it's a key stop on the professional rodeo circuit - the participants compete for their prize money, and to get points in national rodeo championships. It's not what you expect when you come to the east coast, but it's a great experience!

Bayberry wrote: »
    How much of historic Philadelphia have you seen?

I haven't been to Philly before, have been to NY Boston & Washington.

Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

I haven't been to Philly before, have been to NY Boston & Washington.
    You should definitely consider spending your extra few days in Philly, then - it tends to get bypassed, but it's got plenty to see and do, and if it's history that your after, Philadelphia is as historic as American cities get.

We're looking at September dates so imagine quite a good time to travel over. Was thinking fly into one airport and out of another. Are one way car rentals easy to organize or would there be an extra one way fee?

One ways can sometimes cost more, but not always. Check out all the providers, and sites such as carrentals.com and autoeurope etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

florida is an easy combine with new york. orlando and miami are about a 2-2.5 hour flight away with spirit flying new york to fort lauderdale for $80-90 one way.

i wouldn't bother with atlantic city if you have been to vegas.

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »
    florida is an easy combine with new york. orlando and miami are about a 2-2.5 hour flight away with spirit flying new york to fort lauderdale for $80-90 one way.

i wouldn't bother with atlantic city if you have been to vegas.

Thanks Rossie, Florida doesnt really appeal to me. Think we are going to go for Toronto, Philly & NY. Fly into Toronto for a few nights, onto the falls on the drive to Philly. Then NYC and fly home from there. 9 nights, will be busy but we're ok with that. Prefer to see as much as we can while we are away.

Flights only €374 with Aer Lingus :D

Advertisement