Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selecting Replacement Ewe Lambs

Options
  • 05-07-2015 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

What do ye look for when selecting ewe lambs to keep?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

DJ98 wrote: »

What I do
    Select the nicest looking lambs
    Weigh em - make sure they meet your target weight
    Check their history - any reason not keep them, then don't (lameness, prolapse, poor milk, trouble lambing, wild, anything at all :) )

There is merit in keeping from doubles - but I want to keep a good few this year, so will be keeping and singles and doubles.

That's what I do anyways - more could be done to select from better ewes. But for me - as long as you are not keeping around bad traits, and breeding from your best performing ewes - that'll do me...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Would go along with UJ but keep the best ones and don't be tempted to get cash in on bigger ones and keep the smaller ones. Backwards step in the long run. Also if there bred from a terminal sire like a Charolais I wouldn't be inclined to breed from them as their generally poor milkers

I keep a few lanark/swale ewes here and run a blue Leicester with them and keep the best along with first crosses. Always try keep lambs from ewes that are trouble free and had twins every year and generally from the older ewes that are tried and tested

I'm very tempted to try a romney ram this year if I can manage to get one at reasonable money to run on first cross from mules

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Don't let ewe lambs to the ram,prefer to let them firm up for the yr and breed as Hoggets.
    As Username John said keep best looking lambs,prefer twin lambs if they are strong enough or better still triplets:).
    If can identify lambs from good breeders they are kept.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Don't let ewe lambs to the ram,prefer to let them firm up for the yr and breed as Hoggets.
    As Username John said keep best looking lambs,prefer twin lambs if they are strong enough or better still triplets:).
    If can identify lambs from good breeders they are kept.

IMO it's a waste not to lamb ewe lambs. Far better mothers the next year and if managed well it has no negative effect. I run the singles with the rest of the ewes and ones that have twins go on their own and the lambs are creeped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Cran

Keep Lleyn Rams here just to bred replacements, after that poor feet, poor mouths and poor thrives are sent to factory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭DJ98

razor8 wrote: »
    Would go along with UJ but keep the best ones and don't be tempted to get cash in on bigger ones and keep the smaller ones. Backwards step in the long run. Also if there bred from a terminal sire like a Charolais I wouldn't be inclined to breed from them as their generally poor milkers

I keep a few lanark/swale ewes here and run a blue Leicester with them and keep the best along with first crosses. Always try keep lambs from ewes that are trouble free and had twins every year and generally from the older ewes that are tried and tested

I'm very tempted to try a romney ram this year if I can manage to get one at reasonable money to run on first cross from mules

Bred from Belclare ram

What I do
    Select the nicest looking lambs
    Weigh em - make sure they meet your target weight
    Check their history - any reason not keep them, then don't (lameness, prolapse, poor milk, trouble lambing, wild, anything at all :) )

There is merit in keeping from doubles - but I want to keep a good few this year, so will be keeping and singles and doubles.

That's what I do anyways - more could be done to select from better ewes. But for me - as long as you are not keeping around bad traits, and breeding from your best performing ewes - that'll do me...

What should the target weight be?

What should the target weight be?

They say lambs should be at least 60% of their mature weight.

I wouldn't be putting anything to the ram under 50kg, and if I can, I might up that number. My ewes would be up to 80kg - so 60% would be 48kg.

I wouldn't know a whole pile about Belclare - but they wouldn't be too different weight wise I'd imagine?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I keep it simple here. I pick ewe lambs with slender feminine heads on them . After that just cull hard which eliminates the under performing or trouble ones after the first year. Life's too short to be putting up with any bad traits. Going to get an ear notcher to notch them at birth next year. I've a llyen ram whose daughters will form the backbone if the flock from now on. Worst mothers I've had here have been Charolais x ewe's.

Would these need to be fed meal cover the summer or would good grass just do so that they could go to the ram this year?

Would a belclare be ok for them or would you need to cross themwith another breed e.g. Suffolk, texal or charolais ?

• Advertisement

Would these need to be fed meal cover the summer or would good grass just do so that they could go to the ram this year?

Would a belclare be ok for them or would you need to cross themwith another breed e.g. Suffolk, texal or charolais ?

Fed meal - No, I wouldn't do this. Best to leave them come on on grass, and then see if they are good enough for breeding.

Belclare ram on belclare ewes - you are losing on hybrid vigour

What ram would you recommend?

ha ha - that is one I dont have an answer for - I have the same question myself for my own few ewes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

I use a beltex and have very little trouble with them

What are the advantages of a beltex over lets say a texal? Where would you pick up a beltex ram? (Is there special sales)

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

Beltex, charolais are known for having smaller lambs - so would suit when lambing from, ewe lambs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

I run into a lot of bother this year with toxo. Vaccination on cards this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Struck here a few years back. Nasty thing it is.

Willfarman wrote: »
    I run into a lot of bother this year with toxo. Vaccination on cards this year.
    What u mean by toxo?

I was thinking of using a Kerry Hill. Ram any one got any experience with them. I'm told they are easy to lamb and hardy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

What u mean by toxo?

Toxoplasmosis. A lot of my ewe lambs aborted, some went full term... They were the nastiest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

I was thinking of using a Kerry Hill. Ram any one got any experience with them. I'm told they are easy to lamb and hardy!

And stone mad,what about a dorset ram to breed ewe lambs for replacments,they will lamb 3 times in 2 years and are very milky sheep.

IH784man wrote: »
    And stone mad,what about a dorset ram to breed ewe lambs for replacments,they will lamb 3 times in 2 years and are very milky sheep.

Not a big fan of Dorset. Kerrys are mad but have great lambs, good and strong that's what ya need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Not a big fan of Dorset. Kerrys are mad but have great lambs, good and strong that's what ya need

What's wrong with the dorset

IH784man wrote: »
    What's wrong with the dorset
    Nothing, they sure are great looking sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

have used KH rams since '94 great on first timers esp.texels
    kept the females great mothers lamb themselves and feck of with their lambs
    they are lively but you don't have to catch them for much otherwise they are dead:D

kerry cross ewes with april born lleyn & hampshire lambs

They are lovely. Are there any special Kerry Hill sales in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

there are kerry hills sold at the rare breed sale in the north other wise contact a breeder usually found on donedeal.well worth taking the effort to get a good one (watch out for narrow sholders , top lines and long pasterns)
    very underrated breed

serfspup wrote: »
    there are kerry hills sold at the rare breed sale in the north other wise contact a breeder usually found on donedeal.well worth taking the effort to get a good one (watch out for narrow sholders , top lines and long pasterns)
    very underrated breed

How are they to put on meat serf?

(I know nothing about em, but the fact that they have hill in the name makes me think not meaty - but I could be totally wrong saying that) ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

How are they to put on meat serf?

(I know nothing about em, but the fact that they have hill in the name makes me think not meaty - but I could be totally wrong saying that) ;)

their name is misleading...they're not from co kerry ;)

Advertisement