Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where would the current best female players fit in the men's game?

• 05-07-2015 7:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭

I've been enjoying the world cup and have wondered where the best female player/s in the world could compete in the men's game? A premier league side? League one?

Answers on a postcard.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Neymar plays like a sally and the wind makes him fall over, so I'm going to say Barcelona as physical strength does not seem important at that team.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Oat23 wrote: »
    Neymar plays like a sally and the wind makes him fall over, so I'm going to say Barcelona as physical strength does not seem important at that team.

From my viewing of the world cup, most of them put the men to shame in terms of getting on with the game. Think it was one of the German women vs France who got a bloody nose and just went straight off to get it fixed up so she could get back playing, no rolling about on the ground.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Some of the worlds best womens football teams play practice matches against college boys under 15 sides. They lose the vast majority of these games.

Simple fact is that women cannot physically compete with men at any level, the differences in speed and strength are absolutely massive. There is not one woman playing in the womens world cup who would be able to survive at any level of mens competition. And I'm not talking division 3 or 4, I am talking the very lowest levels of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

IMO they wouldn't even get near the worst league of Ireland teams.

Not even close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Simple fact of the matter is if they were good enough there would be some sort of integration in the professional game if it benefited clubs.

Money talks in football more-so than sexism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

They'd not be good enough for the lowest part time division- too small too slow too weak. Just the fact of the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I've been enjoying the world cup and have wondered where the best female player/s in the world could compete in the men's game? A premier league side? League one?

Answers on a postcard.
    Are you serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

blueser wrote: »
    Are you serious?

Are you?

The only reason I think the womens World Cup is so popular is its being promoted way more than it should to combat sexism or something. Like look at majority of the games and the stadiums weren't even half full, could you imagine that in the mens World cup?

Womens football is terrible skill wise and the best team wouldn't even be able to compete in League 1 in Ireland imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I quite like watching women's football, there is a refreshing honesty about it, effort and commitment by the shed load and technically there are some very good players but really aren't even close to English teams way way down the pyramid, deep into the non leagues.

I don't think the comparison does the women's game any favours, and women sports people should be compared to other women sports people, not men.

• Advertisement

I quite like watching women's football, there is a refreshing honesty about it, effort and commitment by the shed load and technically there are some very good players but really aren't even close to English teams way way down the pyramid, deep into the non leagues.

I don't think the comparison does the women's game any favours, and women sports people should be compared to other women sports people, not men.

I agree totally but a lot of womens sports try and piggy back off the popularity of the mens sports. If a womans match in any sport can attract big crowds and sponsorships then fair play and they deserve the money but they have no right that male competitors get paid more when they draw in bigger sponsorship deals.

Just to give an example isn't womens tennis same prize money now? Yet it doesn't have as much interest as the mens and has less sets in grand slams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

They wouldn't but that shouldn't lessen their sporting merits, just like tennis.

CSF wrote: »
    They wouldn't but that shouldn't lessen their sporting merits, just like tennis.

Womens tennis definitely has an interest for sure but not nearly in anyway the same interest as the mens game attracts, they aren't as good as the men and they play less sets. With all that in mind why should the women get paid the same as the men?

This isn't sexism its just realism. If there was a sport/whatever where women attracted more interest than the men and brought more sponsorship/interest in I would think they should get paid more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Womens tennis definitely has an interest for sure but not nearly in anyway the same interest as the mens game attracts, they aren't as good as the men and they play less sets. With all that in mind why should the women get paid the same as the men?

This isn't sexism its just realism. If there was a sport/whatever where women attracted more interest than the men and brought more sponsorship/interest in I would think they should get paid more.
    I haven't claimed women footballers should get paid as much as men. Human beings of any description should be able to negotiate a contract with their employer based on their value to the company and the money they can create for the company, not based on gender, colour, sexuality or anything like that. That doesn't really belong here because I don't think many people would claim that the best woman footballer should earn as much as Messi and Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I like the way they play the game. None of the playacting and absurd theatrics of the modern men's game. Lots of hard physical challenges and players getting right back up and getting on with it. How it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

No-one in any sport should earn the type of insane money any of the best paid sports person does, male or female. It's obscene.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    No-one in any sport should earn the type of insane money any of the best paid sports person does, male or female. It's obscene.

If there is that much money going around football with television rights, merchandise sales, tickets etc then they should get a portion of that revenue. Should just the rich people who own the clubs make money?

If you think the money is insane is the money actors/singers make ridiculous? Its not insane what the men earn. End of the day football is like any other job you are worth what someone else is willing to pay for your services.

If there is that much money going around football with television rights, merchandise sales, tickets etc then they should get a portion of that revenue. Should just the rich people who own the clubs make money?

If you think the money is insane is the money actors/singers make ridiculous? Its not insane what the men earn. End of the day football is like any other job you are worth what someone else is willing to pay for your services.

Yes the money that actors and singers get is insane too.

The amount the employers are willing to pay their employees for their services is bonkers IMO.

Anyway, I've brought this off topic!

Yes the money that actors and singers get is insane too.

The amount the employers are willing to pay their employees for their services is bonkers IMO.

Anyway, I've brought this off topic!

To be fair to the womens game though it is watchable. I'll watch the final tonight and caught one or two games during the world cup. Was kind of hoping the Lionesses would win it. Am I right in saying that level was the US players are professional?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

CSF wrote: »

In tennis, the womens game is not as big a draw as the mens game and yet recently we have seen parity in the prizemoney. Thats not equal treatment, thats special treatment. Most people are for equality but equality does not mean ignoring merit.

The simple fact of the matter is, the men deserve to be paid more because they bring in more the same way the better ranked men earn more than the lower ranked men......because thats business. And yet they arent.

• Advertisement

To be fair to the womens game though it is watchable. I'll watch the final tonight and caught one or two games during the world cup. Was kind of hoping the Lionesses would win it. Am I right in saying that level was the US players are professional?

There is truly some fantastic football on show in the women's game, it just moves at a slower pace. I can tell you as a 5ft female that the 11 a side pitch is huge! Most of us don't have the physical attribute to ping from left to right to change the intensity or direction of the play all that well that you would be used to seeing in the men's game.

Well the league is professional from what I know and has failed twice and is still regarded as the strongest and best women's league. Just goes to show how far away women's football is in terms of stability at the top level.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

This thread has nothing to do with pay. It's about skill. Why must it always come down to pay...

Women's football is fine. It's not the same standard so I won't compare it. If it was on I'd give it a glance, like I have on a couple of occasions this tournament, but generally speaking I wouldn't watch it because I find the men's better/more entertaining. Same with tennis.

There is truly some fantastic football on show in the women's game, it just moves at a slower pace. I can tell you as a 5ft female that the 11 a side pitch is huge!!

Well the league is professional from what I know and has failed twice and is still regarded as the strongest and best women's league. Just goes to show how far away women's football is in terms of stability at the top level.

I dont rate the womens game football wise good at all to be honest but the pure competitiveness in it makes it kind of enjoyable. Hoping Japan win tonight just to route for an underdog but I have the littlest bit of excitment and I'll watch any kind of football from league 2 English/Championship/Irish/German/Italian/English whatever and this is the womens world cup final and I barely care. So most casual fans probably give no cares.

Just to compare do you think that the womens final will sell out?

This thread has nothing to do with pay. It's about skill. Why must it always come down to pay...

Women's football is fine. It's not the same standard so I won't compare it. If it was on I'd give it a glance, like I have on a couple of occasions this tournament, but generally speaking I wouldn't watch it because I find the men's better/more entertaining. Same with tennis.

Yeah exactly this forum for example just shows you how little anyone really cares. This is the world cup final tonight of the womens game and all the English club superthreads are getting more posts than the final. I don't even think there is a thread on here for the womens world cup final. Could you imagine that compared to the mens world cup final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Some of the worlds best womens football teams play practice matches against college boys under 15 sides. They lose the vast majority of these games.
    Which colleges have under 15s teams?

I dont rate the womens game football wise good at all to be honest but the pure competitiveness in it makes it kind of enjoyable. Hoping Japan win tonight just to route for an underdog but I have the littlest bit of excitment and I'll watch any kind of football from league 2 English/Championship/Irish/German/Italian/English whatever and this is the womens world cup final and I barely care. So most casual fans probably give no cares.

Just to compare do you think that the womens final will sell out?

I think it will get close just like it was in the Olympics. Huge numbers will come across from the north of the U.S. Canadians follow women's football more than their men's football as the women have been more successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

That is a very capitalist type of mindset, but then again so is this: if they don't pay them, those players will go elsewhere and earn the money there. Funny though how John Marc Bosman has become one of the most important players in the history of the game. :p

Billy86 wrote: »

In some countries Secondary schools are called colleges maybe that is what he was talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

blueser wrote: »
    Are you serious?

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its an American thing, and I'm not bothered to look up the correct terminology because the point still remains. Womens international sides regularly lose to kids teams.

That keeper playing for japan wouldn't get a game on the local sunday league game to be fair and I'm not over exaggerating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

http://www.herald.ie/sport/schools/u15-boys-metro-final-dylan-reilly-has-final-say-31244691.html

Templeogue College apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Sheriff from the aul put 6 or 7 past the USA I reckon.

Same argument in another thread re tennis. Venus Williams and Serena Williams both play a set each against a male player ranked 203 in the world in 2004. He beat Serena 6-1 and then Venus 6-2.

They never had a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Trilla wrote: »
    +1

- ∞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

The men could learn a thing or two from the women about respect. You don't see them diving/complaining/faking injuries and actually respect their opponents and officials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Womens tennis definitely has an interest for sure but not nearly in anyway the same interest as the mens game attracts, they aren't as good as the men and they play less sets.

I actually prefer womens tennis to mens. Men's tennis actually nearly has too much power - so hard to break, so most games are totally one sided to whoever is serving. Break serve in one game and you'll probably win the set.

Women's tennis is much more balanced, so you actually get to see them play tennis - break's are good quality rallies are more common. The skill level is still super high.

More engaging to watch imo. That Heather Watson Serena Williams match the other day was unreal.

The same doesn't apply to football, but have still found the tournament very watchable. No point comparing to the mens game really, its better looking at it on its own merits. I'll watch it ahead of some sports, and behind others. To be honest i'd probably watch it over anything but the highest level of rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I actually prefer womens tennis to mens. Men's tennis actually nearly has too much power - so hard to break, so most games are totally one sided to whoever is serving. Break serve in one game and you'll probably win the set.

Women's tennis is much more balanced, so you actually get to see them play tennis - break's are good quality rallies are more common. The skill level is still super high.

More engaging to watch imo. That Heather Watson Serena Williams match the other day was unreal.

The same doesn't apply to football, but have still found the tournament very watchable. No point comparing to the mens game really, its better looking at it on its own merits. I'll watch it ahead of some sports, and behind others. To be honest i'd probably watch it over anything but the highest level of rugby.

A few years ago in the era of the big serving male players you might have had a point but if anything men's tennis is more entertaining than women's the past few years imho. Bizarre that there was such nonsense to get equal prizemoney at Wimbledon given the difference in the amount of sets played.

Women's soccer is entertaining in and of itself but the interest drummed up for the women's world cup is mostly artificial and won't reflect actual public interest. Physical differences mean its probably at about under 16 male level, possibly somewhere between that and U21. No shame in that, its just biology and with equally matched teams doesn't detract from the contest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I've said this when talking about Stephanie Roche's goal being nominated in the Puskas award. The women have seperate awards for Player of the Year and Coach of the Year, logic dictates that they should have their own Goal of the Year too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I think the lack of diving, playacting etc may be due to the game being relatively "new" in popularity.

As the game becomes more popular the stakes become higher. i.e. better rewards for winning, then you may see more of the cyncimism

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I think the lack of diving, playacting etc may be due to the game being relatively "new" in popularity.

As the game becomes more popular the stakes become higher. i.e. better rewards for winning, then you may see more of the cyncimism

The USA's influence on the women's game may play a part as well, their men's team tends to be quite good in the respect too.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The USA's influence on the women's game may play a part as well, their men's team tends to be quite good in the respect too.

That's very true.

You see none of the playacting in the big 4 US sports that you see in European soccer.

And it's usually a stick that non soccer liking US media use to beat soccer with.

That's very true.

You see none of the playacting in the big 4 US sports that you see in European soccer.

And it's usually a stick that non soccer liking US media use to beat soccer with.

And they're dead right to beat soccer with that stick!!

Some basketball players engage in it and get crucified in the US media for "flopping". Rolling around feigning injury is very negatively perceived over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

My football clubs female side are a bunch of lunatics, i wouldnt fancy a game off them. Some tough tough women out there playing the game, could show a lot of lads out there a thing or two when it comes to playing the game properly.

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Majority of people prefer mens tennis over womens. Maybe in Wimbledon on grass the mens is very fast but look at the French open played on clay and there is way more rallies in the mens game.

Look at the quality of the mens shots and rallies compared to the womens in fairness the mens game is in a different world altogether.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

My football clubs female side are a bunch of lunatics, i wouldnt fancy a game off them. Some tough tough women out there playing the game, could show a lot of lads out there a thing or two when it comes to playing the game properly.

Yeah so it's not in their best interests to play that way so much as it's still very much a growing sport over there and they want more people to watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah so it's not in their best interests to play that way so much as it's still very much a growing sport over there and they want more people to watch it.

I doubt a 20 something year old young one from Ballyer really cares about the publicity of the game.

Mickeroo wrote: »

Huh? You're saying they should dive more and be less physical to assist the image of the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

The only reason I think the womens World Cup is so popular is its being promoted way more than it should to combat sexism or something. Like look at majority of the games and the stadiums weren't even half full, could you imagine that in the mens World cup?

Womens football is terrible skill wise and the best team wouldn't even be able to compete in League 1 in Ireland imo.
    Wouldn't agree with that. I think there skill levels are very very good.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I doubt a 20 something year old young one from Ballyer really cares about the publicity of the game.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Huh? You're saying they should dive more and be less physical to assist the image of the game?

I actually quoted the wrong post there, couldn't understand why ye were reacting like that at first :o Meant to quote your post Lloyd not Sir gallagher's, I was agreeing with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

They wouldnt fit in anywhere purely because of physicality alone.

As someone who goes to PL and Championships games on a regular basis- women would just be physically too small.

• Advertisement
Advertisement