Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orlando theme park advice

Options
  • 05-07-2015 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi all,
    My wife and I are heading to Orlando for four days while in America. We are leaving in two weeks time. Can anyone advise me on the best place to buy tickets to get into the theme parks. Should we buy them at the gate or online before hand? Where is the best place to get deals.
    We would like to do a couple of the Disney parks and both Universal Parks.
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

I always use www.attractionticketsdirect.ie - great service. It's much cheaper to buy here. We were there recently and paid approx €180 each for 14 day entry to both Universal Parks plus Wet 'n Wild. A one day/one park pass for Universal was $119.

TBH you're being a bit ambitious with all the parks you plan to do over 4 days. The heat there at the moment is intense - late 30's and the queues will be long. If there are no kids with you I would suggest sticking to the Universal Parks. If you stay in a hotel on-site you will get early entry to the parks and express passes for the rides.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭JK82

I always use www.attractionticketsdirect.ie - great service. It's much cheaper to buy here. We were there recently and paid approx €180 each for 14 day entry to both Universal Parks plus Wet 'n Wild. A one day/one park pass for Universal was $119.

TBH you're being a bit ambitious with all the parks you plan to do over 4 days. The heat there at the moment is intense - late 30's and the queues will be long. If there are no kids with you I would suggest sticking to the Universal Parks. If you stay in a hotel on-site you will get early entry to the parks and express passes for the rides.

Thanks for the reply. Any other tips for when we are over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭TingTong

I wonder has anyone who have bought these 14 day universal tickets, have actually used all 14 days. I doubt it. In all likelyhood you will probably only use 4 days of these tickets, 2 days in each park at a leisurely pace. BTW wet and wild is closing down shortly, if not already closed down. Try this crowd www.officialticketcenter.com or you can buy your tickets in Wal-Mart on highway 192 or 535.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

JK82 wrote: »

few tips of mine here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94161873&postcount=3

tips for disney http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95083620&postcount=4

just to add you are going at the height of summer so bring hats/sunscreen and plenty of water in a small backpack (which you can store for free in most parks for a short period like an hour or two at or near alot of the rides). walgreens, which are everywhere provides all those kinds of supplies you need for less than you will pay here for them.

first thing when gates open early morning and late evening is the best time to visit parks as most of the kids and families are gone by then

parks are huge especially the disney ones and the amount of walking you will do in the hot humid weather is beyond tiring. if you have time try to time your schedule so that you visit every second day if you can, there are plenty of water parks in the orlando area if your hotel doesn't have a good pool

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

We're here now, skip Disney and look forward to it with the kids, book a Universal hotel for early entry and faster queuing, Pacific Royal is cheapest and short walk to both parks, heat not an issue, just pace yourself and keep water intake up. ATD are as good as any for tickets, enjoy

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

TingTong wrote: »
    BTW wet and wild is closing down shortly, if not already closed down..

Its closing on 31st Dec 2016. No mad rush :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Its closing on 31st Dec 2016. No mad rush :)

So is Disneys Worldwide Sports racing track (more car park space for MK) and Disney Quest (NBA attraction)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

TingTong wrote: »
    I wonder has anyone who have bought these 14 day universal tickets, have actually used all 14 days. I doubt it. In all likelyhood you will probably only use 4 days of these tickets, 2 days in each park at a leisurely pace. BTW wet and wild is closing down shortly, if not already closed down. Try this crowd www.officialticketcenter.com or you can buy your tickets in Wal-Mart on highway 192 or 535.

We used them on 7 or 8 days out of 14. Wet & Wild won't be closing until the end of next year. It's owned by Universal who are currently building a new water park.

With regard to buying tickets in Orlando, you simply won't get the same value if you intend spending more than one day at either Disney or Universal.

ATD also give a few freebies with tickets bought. This year we got a $10 voucher towards Planet Hollywood, free entry to Wondeworks or a dinner show and a coupon book for Florida Mall. Also, you get real tickets from ATD not vouchers which other companies provide.

JK82 wrote: »
    Be prepared for heavy thunderstorms - purchase a lightweight poncho (cheaper outside the parks).
    Make sure you wear comfy shoes - you'll be doing a LOT of walking! :-)
    If you're Harry Potter fans, get to Universal early and head straight to the HP area coz the queues get crazy for the rides.
    Tell your wife not to wear a white top/shorts if doing the water rides in IOA. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭poeticmakaveli

I have been to Orlando a lot of times and each time I just bought them at reception desk of my hotel as they usually do deals,that's how I always done it! 4 days is pretty short as there is so much to see, in actual fact,2 weeks is not enough even!
    If you are going to the parks, I recommend universal and busch gardens, Busch gardens is in Tampa but it won't be a bother getting a shuttle to there, it is super there!
    I presume you will be staying along international drive so make sure and go to the premium and prime malls,amazing shopping to be done at cheap prices, also if you have an hour or 2 ,go to the titanic experience,I quite enjoyed it and its on the strip there on international drive! Have a great time, such a lovely place to be!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Gatorland is always on my list when I visit Orlando!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

I will me moving to SW Florida in a few weeks but plan on going to Disney at Christmas with my 5 year old daughter. Should I book tickets over there with residents discount to get the best deal? I'm looking to buy a two day ticket for the magic kingdom. Hotel suggestions? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭TingTong

I will me moving to SW Florida in a few weeks but plan on going to Disney at Christmas with my 5 year old daughter. Should I book tickets over there with residents discount to get the best deal? I'm looking to buy a two day ticket for the magic kingdom. Hotel suggestions? Thanks

Being a Florida resident, you will be able to purchase FL resident tickets at a discounted price......BUT you will not be able to use them at Christmas like you are planning on doing. We bought our's a couple of weeks ago for our trip over in a few weeks time but can only start using them from August 14th on-wards. These tickets have a load of block-out dates on them, Christmas, Easter, when the children are off school, July and August and every weekend. You can basically only use them Monday to Friday at off-peak times of the year. But they suit us as our place is only ten minutes to Disney.

Maybe an annual pass might be worth looking into.

Advertisement