Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free range chicken fillets in Blackrock/stillorgan

Options
  • 05-07-2015 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    I have been trying to find free range chicken fillets around the blackrock / stillorgan area with no luck. In fact, I am finding it hard to get decent chicken breasts full stop. I have tried Fenelons, Nyhan Bros (used to be Doyles the Butchers - I got Clonakilty free range fillets here but they are no longer available), Donnybrook Fair and Dublin Meat Co. None of these had them in stock.
    The only ones I can find are in Supervalu (own brand or Farmers to Market range) - would rather get them from a butcher if possible.
    Wondering why it is so difficult to find them??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

when it comes to chicken, especially fillets, there's been a race to the bottom over the last decade.
    less and less people care about where the chicken is from, or the quality, as long as it's cheap.
    and this demand has meant that butchers can make more money from Dutch chicken fillets and/or ones inject with water and god knows what else, so they're less likely to supply organic or free range.

btw, I don't get this thing about not buying from a supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭caviardreams

when it comes to chicken, especially fillets, there's been a race to the bottom over the last decade.
    less and less people care about where the chicken is from, or the quality, as long as it's cheap.
    and this demand has meant that butchers can make more money from Dutch chicken fillets and/or ones inject with water and god knows what else, so they're less likely to supply organic or free range.

btw, I don't get this thing about not buying from a supermarket.

Thanks, it's unfortunate that more people don't seem to care :( I know it is much more expensive but it's worth it in my opinion. I have seen more and more Dutch chicken breasts in shops like Dublin Meat Co & even Donnybrook Fair - I couldn't believe it when I saw the NL producer code. I am sure these are absolutely fine quality etc., but I just prefer buying Irish when it comes to meat and spending the extra for the sake of better welfare conditions, traceability and quality.

Re the supermarkets thing - I do actually buy a lot of meat in SuperValu and supermarkets (most people would be shocked!) but I prefer buying from the counter and picking out the pieces I want when it comes to steak, chops etc. In the smaller branches you only get pre-packed stuff. I personally think it is more likely in a supermarket that it is actually what it claims it is, as the risk for a supermarket would be massive if it was found out they were selling Dutch chicken as Irish etc. I do like supporting local business though, even if it's a bit more expensive as it's what supports competition, choice and a better deal for the consumer at the end of the day, but I tend to shop around. Hence looking for other sources as while the chicken is grand in SV, it's not out of this world, and I wouldn't even mind paying extra gain for organic or whatever chicken (in a supermarket or butcher or whatever).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Go up to the country market in kilternian on a Saturday morning, there's a fellow who sells while free range organic chickens

http://www.kilternancountrymarket.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Is Glasthule too far to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

+1 was wondering why that option wasn't mentioned yet :confused:

• Advertisement

A bit (I have no car :( ) but would be worth an occasional trip - whereabouts is it?

A bit (I have no car :( ) but would be worth an occasional trip - whereabouts is it?

It's the next Dart stop south of Dun Laoghaire - the railway station is called Sandycove & Glasthule. On the main street there is a famous food emporium called Cavistons. If you're interested in free-range, organic poultry then you should check it out.

Don't expect any bargains, it's an upmarket shop catering to people who are prepared to pay for a quality product.

Come out of the Dart station, turn right and walk down the main street, it's about 300m down the road on the left, roughly opposite a pub on a corner called the Eagle House.

http://cavistons.com/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Do Cavistons do Chicken?

Fish yeah, but I didn't know they did plain chicken breasts.

Their pate though......ummmmmmmmmmmm

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Do Cavistons do Chicken?

Fish yeah, but I didn't know they did plain chicken breasts.

Haven't been there in a while, they may only sell the whole bird (their website says they sell organic, free-range chicken) but Cavistons came to mind when the OP said this ..
    I do like supporting local business though, even if it's a bit more expensive ...

.. and I wouldn't even mind paying extra gain for organic or whatever chicken (in a supermarket or butcher or whatever).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

You're right they do do Chicken, they sell these guys stuff

http://carlowfreerange.ie/

Competitive price too. I got a pack of 2 breasts for 5.49 which weighed 250grms, which is the same as the ones in Tesco but I think these ones are fed corn or maize.

• Advertisement

Thanks CatfromHue, I have also see those Carlow ones in SuperValu very occasionally. They are great but hard to track down, so great to have another source!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

O'Reilly Butchers Mount Merrion, opposite pub, Deer park Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Elliottsmum79

You might not like the overall supermarket vibe but TESCO, yes, your local megamarket stock free range chicken fillets for years. I buy them there weekly. M&S also free range/organic and their general chicken range ( not free range) is a higher welfare standard than than required in the UK, and doubtless a bit more expensive! I hate battery chicken.......

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

just noticed this thread - if you are heading out to Glasthule, call into Tom O'Connor - he's the first shop in the village as you come down from the DART station. Fully organic meat. Very knowledgeable guy as well, loves his work.

You might not like the overall supermarket vibe but TESCO, yes, your local megamarket stock free range chicken fillets for years. I buy them there weekly. M&S also free range/organic and their general chicken range ( not free range) is a higher welfare standard than than required in the UK, and doubtless a bit more expensive! I hate battery chicken.......

Thanks guys - yes Elliottsmum, I noticed Breffni free range chicken fillets in Tesco recently and have been buying them since. Very competitively priced and it lists the name of the specific farm/source on the pack which I always find reassuring for some reason lol :D Taste great too.

They often are out of stock I find though so that's why I might have missed them previously (I tend to go shopping very early morning or very late in the evening)

Advertisement