Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best tofu

• 05-07-2015 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

What's the best tofu available in Ireland? (Having finally cracked the science of frying it crispy, I want to add it as a regular item in the diet.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I think the large packs in the Asian foodstores are the best - they're really cheap, but no different (in my opinion) to the more expensive brands you get in healthfood stores or the likes of Donnybrook Fair.

My preferred way of preparing it is patting it very dry, lightly coating it with a mix of soy sauce, sweet chilli sauce and sesame seeds, and baking it in the oven on a baking tray, 200 degrees for 20 mins.

I'd love to hear your crispy fried method though, Qualitymark, if you have a minute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Ooooh, sesame seeds! Must try that!

Mine's to gently pat the tofu dry, then chop it in cubes (as far as possible) and toss these in a plastic bag with a mix of cornflour, cornmeal and cayenne, then slide them into a bowl and thence to a sizzling pan, and dose in a bit of soy sauce and sweet chilli sauce. I couldn't find the cornflour last time so used gram flour and cornmeal, and it worked well.

Oho, you use a baking tray? I use a frying pan - a wok or a flat Teflon pan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Dunnes do good tofu.In all their stores it's usually beside the veg section with the salad leaves/ fruit in little pots.

The tofu Supervalu have is yuck -it's wibbly and doesn't go crispy 😛 😀

Advertisement