Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negative Experience Rathsallagh House MOD WARNING POST 19 & 63

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

LorMal wrote: »
    I have spotted this kind of response from him before on Trip Advisor. It completely put me off ever going to his hotel.
    As a method of marketing, it is on par with the best of Basil Fawlty.

Basil Fawlty: [going to window, indicating] Well, that is Torquay, ma'am.
    Mrs. Richards: Well, it's not good enough.
    Basil Fawlty: Well, may I ask what you were expecting to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House, perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeasts swinging majestically...
    Mrs. Richards: Don't be silly. I expect to be able to see the sea.
    Basil Fawlty: You CAN see the sea. It's over there, between the land and the sky.
    Mrs. Richards: I'd need a telescope to see that!
    Basil Fawlty: Well, may I suggest that you move to a hotel closer to the sea...
    Basil Fawlty: [sotto] ... or preferably in it?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,914 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'VE ALREADY ISSUED AN ON-THREAD WARNING ABOUT NAMING INDIVIDUAL STAFF/OWNERS/MANAGEMENT OF THE HOTEL. Anyone who continues to post names will be infracted or banned from the forum.

Also I've had to delete posts that were making various allegations about the how the hotel is run/staff are hired/food etc. Unless you can link to a verifiable source (ie a newspaper article not a post on another message board website) then do not post this sort of thing. If you are unsure if something you want to post is allowed, then please send me a PM to check before you post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

Some of those reviews and responses are priceless. There's one girl who said she got locked in the bathroom when the door handle came off, and the response was that the bathroom door didn't lock from the inside and that her boyfriend must had locked her in there for the laugh! :pac:

Another one was that the tv had turned on during the night, along with other electrical faults, and the explanation was that the girl must have rolled over the remote control in her sleep.

Maybe they're both right, but, in line with the rest of the responses, they're hilarious!!

Edit - in fairness to the guy - he also does reply to all the positive reviews with his thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

LorMal wrote: »
    I have spotted this kind of response from him before on Trip Advisor. It completely put me off ever going to his hotel.
    As a method of marketing, it is on par with the best of Basil Fawlty.

I think it's pure genius.

He's got people talking about the place here, and it's by no means all bad.

I'd love to go to a place where people told truth instead of the usual passive-aggressive nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I think you can tell who has worked in a customer facing job and who hasn't by the replies here. I think the owner of the hotel is an absolute hero for calling out some of the whingers for what they are and putting them back in their box in such an eloquent manner. I'm somewhat envious of him but I guess he is his own boss.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,914 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

There is always the possibility that a junior member of staff (or family) posts "on behalf" of `[SNIP] on the Trip Advisor site .... seeing as, by all accounts, he seems perfectly friendly and welcoming by most that have dealt with him personally ...
    TBH if that's the case then that's not very responsible as a business owner. I have my own business and at the end of the day when it comes down to customer service the buck stops with me. Those Tripadvisor responses come off as a bit vindictive and don't give a very good impression. They would be very offputting to some people who were reading the reviews before deciding whether or not to make a booking. Personally I feel that responding to complaints on a public forum should not be delegated to a junior staff member, and if it is, then the owner should be approving the responses before they're published.

I always remember being told that one negative review carries the same weight as 10 positive ones, and I'll admit when I'm looking at hotels/products/anything online I'll usually read a lot of the negative reviews to see if one particular issue keeps coming up. That being said, I'd always take into account that people have a tendancy to exaggerate, particularly when they're anonymous. I wouldn't be surprised if the OP's Tripadvisor review gets reported and taken down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Based on his responses, I'd actually go there, he seems to have spent time reviewing the negative feedback and apologised when necessary and aggressively defended the place as well. Some he mentioned have refused to respond to his calls. I think it's very easy for people to complain after their visit anonymously on the net and some complaints are ridiculous,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

I think it's pure genius.

He's got people talking about the place here, and it's by no means all bad.

I'd love to go to a place where people told truth instead of the usual passive-aggressive nonsense.

Judge Randolph: *Consider yourself in Contempt!*
    Kaffee: *Colonel Jessep, did you order the Code Red?*
    Judge Randolph: You *don't* have to answer that question!
    Col. Jessep: I'll answer the question!
    [to Kaffee]
    Col. Jessep: You want answers?
    Kaffee: I think I'm entitled to.
    Col. Jessep: *You want answers?*
    Kaffee: *I want the truth!*
    Col. Jessep: *You can't handle the truth!*
    [pauses]
    Col. Jessep: Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Toots wrote: »
    TBH if that's the case then that's not very responsible as a business owner. I have my own business and at the end of the day when it comes down to customer service the buck stops with me.

It's a two-way street, though.

Mr OBumble also has his own business. It horrified me when I found out that there are a number of former customers who he will not even take calls from any more.

But I've come around to his way of thinking. A bad customer just isn't worth having, especially when you're a small business so cannot just absorb them into the overhead. Ones who don't pay, who whinge and want to haggle on everything, who cannot make up their mind so jobs take 2-3 times longer than they should - but not willing to pay 2-3 times the regular price, etc just aren't worth the grief. His bank account and his mental health are both better off when it's less busy but working for reasonable people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Gmol wrote: »
    Based on his responses, I'd actually go there, he seems to have spent time reviewing the negative feedback and apologised when necessary and aggressively defended the place as well. Some he mentioned have refused to respond to his calls. I think it's very easy for people to complain after their visit anonymously on the net and some complaints are ridiculous,

Although a small few of his responses may be a little strong, they are nowhere near over-the-top as I expected them to be based on the feedback here. He spends most of the time apologizing for mistakes but wont take unfair reviews lying down. I found nothing particularly rude or disturbing in what I read anyway.

He seems to be very passionate about providing the best service he can and that to me is a very positive thing.

On the occasions I met him (I must stress, very briefly), I got the impression of someone who cared a lot about his hotel and his guests. His responses on those reviews just strengthen my initial impressions. He is most certainly no Basil Faulty and if you saw the place and how it is run, you would not think that!

Kodus to him, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

It's a two-way street, though.

Mr OBumble also has his own business. It horrified me when I found out that there are a number of former customers who he will not even take calls from any more.

But I've come around to his way of thinking. A bad customer just isn't worth having, especially when you're a small business so cannot just absorb them into the overhead. Ones who don't pay, who whinge and want to haggle on everything, who cannot make up their mind so jobs take 2-3 times longer than they should - but not willing to pay 2-3 times the regular price, etc just aren't worth the grief. His bank account and his mental health are both better off when it's less busy but working for reasonable people.

This is all very, very true. Mr. O'Bumble is a wise bee indeed!

Talking about people liking to complain, a few years ago we were checking into a very nice hotel in Portugal when another couple were checking out. The Receptionist asked them if everything was ok during their stay. "No" says Mrs Holidaymaker "The sunloungers were too hard"!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Just read the OP's "review"

I find it a bit telling that she uses the term "tragic circumstances". Tragic circumstances would widely be known to mean a death, unless Im misreading the OP it wasn't a death.

Used to garner sympathy / blacken the Hotels name further, I certainly think so.

Ive no qualms with people leaving negative reviews when warranted, that post just reads as spiteful and childish.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭castle

I feel you should have also made a phone call TBH, and after checking out trip advisor I think I will stay there some time as I never seem a place get as many 5 stars, and the theme of the complaints was the typical Irish trait everything is fine food super etc then they bitch to everyone after,
    I know you Uncle in hospital and hope he ok but I bet you still had time to check your facebook, chat with your mates etc so a 30 second phone call should have been made,
    also we all have a bad day once in a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I dunno...

I've worked in the wedding industry, and I've worked in event management. Personally, I think it's been badly handled at BOTH ends. What is it with people these days that they can't pick up a phone, but seem to mail/text instead??

OP - As soon as you realised you couldn't make the appointment, why didn't you call? If you can't get through to the manager, then leave a message at the front desk. Follow it up with another call later in the morning. You weren't at your uncle's bedside all day, so you could easily step out to make a quick call. Clearly you didn't think the appointment was such a big deal, if you took the time to mail, but couldn't be arsed to call which would be quicker!!

You have to realise this is the height of the wedding season, and the manager may not necessarily be 'on tap' to answer calls and e-mails quickly. There are other customers other than you!
    Then - I think you were being a little dramatic in the review to be honest. You don't want to book the venue? Fine. Move on - There's loads of others.

OTOH - I do think the manager was rude in his responses to you and others. A little PR goes a long way. I think he's extremely unprofessional in his approach too. I certainly wouldn't book that venue, no matter how nice it was, if he can't treat customers in a professional manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭orthsquel

tbh I'd agree with everyone about follow up; But I think you're wrong in taking what can be sorted out privately between the business and yourself to public forums, especially naming the staff member (as their role/position is unclear - unless you read other reviews - and where there may be more than one person with the same name, although in a different role) that you had emailed on trip advisor. I don't think that is right or fair, I think you're pointing the blame on that staff member and involving them by name, people could think they are incompetent or to blame for your email not getting passed on (and could effect future employment prospects, given that they probably don't have the right to remove their name, or the post, which could be googled, from TA save through EU rules on Right to be forgotten) when they are an innocent party in this spat.
    If you have a gripe with the country house, you really ought to address them directly in following the complaints procedure and getting in direct contact with them.

I can understand that during what is probably a stressful time with family members, all the driving, etc this could be seen as an oversight and the response you received hurtful. While what he said was wrong - and I have considered that maybe he thought it was a fake booking, or someone who just couldn't be bothered and went with a competitor and wasting his time - I don't think you are going to feel much better about it going about it this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

I just read a few more comments on Tripadvisor, they're hilarious!! My favourite is the other one star review when she complains about the drawing room not being a drawing room & he replies with the definition of what a drawing room actually is, and "I'm sorry if you were expecting easels and nudes"- I nearly spat out my tea!! I'm dying to meet this guy now haha, legend ;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

His response to the guy who couldn't get using the jacuzzi was really catty.

"You need to book the Jacuzzi room as its available for private use, however if you like to share with strangers I am sure we could oblige"

Meow!

Part of me suspects he likes this snobby image, in that it keeps the riffraff away.

Whatever about the lack of communication with the OP, there is no justification for talking to someone like that. I see it more and more in this country, people thinking it's acceptable to talk to someone like they're the sh!t on their shoe.

"It is a wise thing to be polite; consequently, it is a stupid thing to be rude. To make enemies by unnecessary and willful incivility, is just as insane a proceeding as to set your house on fire. For politeness is like a counter - an avowedly false coin, with which it is foolish to be stingy." - Schopenhauer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

People's reviews on TripAdvisor can be coloured by a lot of things, and there's no way to know whether or not someone is genuine or simply out for revenge or looking for a freebie. However, the responses of the property's management are the one thing you can be certain of, which is why I'm so surprised that any owner would reply with such cattiness. It makes the place look terrible.

If I'd just read the reviews themselves, I'd probably have thought it was a decent venue with the usual smattering of issues you expect from any business. It wouldn't have put me off. The responses, though... Those would put me off considering ever setting foot in the place. As others have said, pleasantness and professionalism is easy when things are running smoothly, but it's when you have a problem that they're harder, and also when you really need them.

With this place, it seems to be the case that if you have a problem, they're going to assume the problem is you. We all have to deal with condescending attitudes from time to time, be it from clients, bosses, in-laws, etc... but I'll be damned if I have to deal with that while also paying for the privilege.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I just read those responses on trip advisor. I frikken LOVE this character!

The one about with the drinks added up is hilarious, and the one with the tile being smashed by someone with a heavy bottle of champagne in the bath.

Hahaha. Check this one out
    Kedgeree ( that was the smoked fish and rice dish on the side board you may not have known what it was as it would be unlikely to be a breakfast menu item at the Premier Inn

He's a riot!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

While they may be slightly amusing, is it really acceptable to speak to paying customers that way? I noticed he really digs out the ones who stay with pigs back vouchers. If he has something against them then why does he let his business be put up for offer on pigs back? :/ I'd be appalled if I was spoken to like that TBH funny or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What's even funnier, is that you have no right of reply on trip advisor... so people get his reviews zapped instead for being rude. And then he opens with that 'this is my second response' craic.

He misspells stuff all over the place, like "stake" instead of "steak", and yet makes out like he is the poshest yoke going. Everything he says smacks of notions. I'm actually tempted to go there and write a semi-snotty review myself to see what he'd say.

Characters like that are being watered down these days to meet what's Acceptable. He's a rare breed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭newport2

akamossy wrote: »
    While they may be slightly amusing, is it really acceptable to speak to paying customers that way? I noticed he really digs out the ones who stay with pigs back vouchers. If he has something against them then why does he let his business be put up for offer on pigs back? :/ I'd be appalled if I was spoken to like that TBH funny or not.

Agreed, he has a real "you're only a Pigs Back customer" tone about a lot of his responses, as if they were second grade and less worthy of an opinion. I can't imagine they'd be too happy about that.

Part of me suspects he likes this snobby image, in that it keeps the riffraff away.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. In a lot of his negative comments, he brings up the fact that the people who are complaining were there on some kind of deal and really gives the impression he thinks they should just suck it up!

While I do think that the "right of reply" is very important for a business owner, especially in this day and age of social media etc., announcing on Tripadvisor the fact that a customer is pregnant, itemising people's bills, criticising the food choices they make (!) and basically calling paying customers liars is way over the top. He even argues minor points with people who give the hotel a good review.

And whingeing because people are surprised that you have to book the Jacuzzi is just petty ... especially when they inquire about it, are told there is one, but aren't told they need to book it.

Having said all that, I hope the OPs "review" is deleted as soon as possible. Between submitting it there and complaining here also, it is now rated the "most helpful" review which is terribly unfair. This is exactly the kind of abuse of review sites like Tripadvisor which render them less useful and make businesses defensive.

I would complain about it but I don't have a Tripadvisor account ... actually, I might set one up specifically for this, just as the OP (from Bangkok?!) has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭newport2

pwurple wrote: »
    What's even funnier, is that you have no right of reply on trip advisor... so people get his reviews zapped instead for being rude. And then he opens with that 'this is my second response' craic.

He misspells stuff all over the place, like "stake" instead of "steak", and yet makes out like he is the poshest yoke going. Everything he says smacks of notions. I'm actually tempted to go there and write a semi-snotty review myself to see what he'd say.

Characters like that are being watered down these days to meet what's Acceptable. He's a rare breed now.

Just email the link to this thread to him at Rathsallagh. I expect he'd be on to talk to us shortly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Having said all that, I hope the OPs "review" is deleted as soon as possible. Between submitting it there and complaining here also, it is now rated the "most helpful" review which is terribly unfair.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've found all this extremely helpful. Knowing what kind of attitude I would face as a customer if I were to complain is something very much worth knowing, in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

newport2 wrote: »
    Agreed, he has a real "you're only a Pigs Back customer" tone about a lot of his responses, as if they were second grade and less worthy of an opinion. I can't imagine they'd be too happy about that.

Yeah, that really stood out to me. We love a certain pricey enough restaurant in Dublin, and it occasionally offers deals on those kind of websites, which we've often bought and used, and the service was no different to when we paid full price with no deal voucher at all. Surely you'd hope that the experience would be good enough to entice people to pay full price on another date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

newport2 wrote: »
    Just email the link to this thread to him at Rathsallagh. I expect he'd be on to talk to us shortly!

There's a new (positive) review on TA. It'll be interesting to see if there's a response to that.

It must be a real pain, all the same, running country house accommodation to keep your home, farm etc solvent. I can empathise with him while being alternately entertained and horrified by his TA responses. It's great that they're running a viable business to keep their heads above water.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

This thread once again proves that the weddings forum will always provide some level of entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Having said all that, I hope the OPs "review" is deleted as soon as possible. Between submitting it there and complaining here also, it is now rated the "most helpful" review which is terribly unfair. This is exactly the kind of abuse of review sites like Tripadvisor which render them less useful and make businesses defensive.

I accidentally clicked the "helpful" button because I thought it was a link to other peoples comments on the review. :( It looked like that on my phone, I'm sure I'm not to only one to have accidentally done so! (I don't often use Tripadvisor so didn't know you can't comment on reviews.) And you can't unclick it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement