Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary schools

Options
  • 05-07-2015 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Have 3 kids (2 boys, 1 girl) and trying to decide on best secondary school to send them to.
    We have sort of narrowed it down to St. Andrews but worried about the fees and the possibility of creating over-privileged kids or Newpark School but worried they won't push the kids enough (the boys will need pushing).
    And in general we are just worried about bullying everywhere.
    Advice? Personal experience? Other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Have you checked the enrollment policies to see what category they would get in on? That might make your decision for you! Are they in feeder schools? Or are they CofI?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 chriski

They are (or will be) in a feeder school for either of the two options above. They are C of I.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

chriski wrote: »
    They are (or will be) in a feeder school for either of the two options above. They are C of I.

Perfect well then apply to both and decide nearer the time. Look at both the subject choices and extra curricular offered in both schools. Ask about class sizes. When I was enquiring about a nearby boys school I found out they had 30 in alot of classes and the fees were €7k!!

Will 3 be in school at the same time? If so that is a lot to spend on fees! I would say over €20k! And also all the other costs that go with school ;)
    I am a firm believer that no one school suits all, it really comes down to the child. I have friends where they send their two boys to two schools. Both are good all round schools. Newpark would be a lot more inclusive though.
    Unfortunately bullying is in all schools but it is how the school deals with it. Look at both of their websites and look for their anti bullying policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

The kids may like to go to different schools. I have two brothers, the three of us went to different secondary schools, albeit they were all 10 minutes max away from our house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Lord Arsraptor

If you're looking at St Andrews or Newpark, then another excellent option for a mixed secondary school is The High School in Rathgar. Their traditional catchment area has students coming from Rathgar, Rathmines, Terenure, Kilmainham and Rathfarnham, so its definitely quite inclusive. I know certainly that the kids I know who went there were definitely encouraged a lot academically, and the school takes an extremely hard line against bullying.
    I would find that whether kids act "over privileged" depends a lot more on their families. Certainly, by going to any private school, its likely that kids from a lower socio-economic background may feel the gulf more. Also its worth noting that St Andrews is one of the most expensive schools in Dublin ( however it's also second to none in terms of facilities!)
    Also it's worth saying that mixed schools work very well for boys, as there's a much more relaxed atmosphere, and a much greater diversity. Another school you could look at is Sandford Park, though I don't know a huge amount about it as its rather small.
    Best of Luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Are you specifically looking for a protestant ethos? If so Wesley is your other option. I believe it has a better academic record and doesnt select on the basis of ability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

What about Clonkeen College or Oatlands both very good schools and well served by buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Also its worth noting that St Andrews is one of the most expensive schools in Dublin ( however it's also second to none in terms of facilities!)

I wouldn't agree with that statement. Plenty of other schools have better facilities , they don't even have an onsite swimming pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Obelisk29

If you're looking at St Andrews or Newpark, then another excellent option for a mixed secondary school is The High School in Rathgar. Their traditional catchment area has students coming from Rathgar, Rathmines, Terenure, Kilmainham and Rathfarnham, so its definitely quite inclusive. I know certainly that the kids I know who went there were definitely encouraged a lot academically, and the school takes an extremely hard line against bullying.

I live in Blackrock and have had 1 kid go through High School and another about to go in to 4th year.

It is a great school but you'll end up doing a lot of driving if you send them there as public transport isn't great.

Remember most of their school friends will live in Rathgar/Rathfarnham/Terenure so you'll end up having to play dads taxi rather a lot and if they play rugby or hockey they'll be there Saturday mornings as well.

I know I will be glad when the younger one finishes - if I never see the Dundrum Luas bridge never again it will be too soon.

The school does have a collection service from Milltown Luas stop in the mornings so if you're on or near the Luas might work.

ted1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree with that statement. Plenty of other schools have better facilities , they don't even have an onsite swimming pool.

No swimming pool, but excellent sports facilities, gym, teachers, all round fantastic school. I have 2 sons attending and cannot speak highly enough of St Andrews.

Yes its expensive, but you get what you pay for. You only get one chance at your education.

Kids overall are polite , well rounded, and while most are from a privileged background there are a lot of middle class people scraping together the fees because they think its worth it...

The fact that they have had a constant wait list (even during the recession when Blackrock kept advertising open days) speaks for itself.

• Advertisement

No swimming pool, but excellent sports facilities, gym, teachers, all round fantastic school. I have 2 sons attending and cannot speak highly enough of St Andrews.

Yes its expensive, but you get what you pay for. You only get one chance at your education.

Kids overall are polite , well rounded, and while most are from a privileged background there are a lot of middle class people scraping together the fees because they think its worth it...

The fact that they have had a constant wait list (even during the recession when Blackrock kept advertising open days) speaks for itself.
    So really there are other places with Better facilities.

Most private schools will have a 25m pool, 10+ full size pitches, gym, weights area, AstroTurf , tennis courts , concert hall , etc
    I went to a private school and the facilities would be much better than Andrews, not saying it's a better or worse just simply picking you up on your claim that the facilities are second to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ACA2015

Most private schools will have a 25m pool, 10+ full size pitches, gym, weights area, AstroTurf , tennis courts , concert hall , etc
    I went to a private school and the facilities would be much better than Andrews, not saying it's a better or worse just simply picking you up on your claim that the facilities are second to none.

No they wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Sounds more like a five star hotel. What private school has all that?

Sounds more like a five star hotel. What private school has all that?

Terenure, blackrock, clongowes, and several others

Nice. I didnt realise they had such good sporting facilities.

What are their science labs like? Andrews apparently has an amazing science block.

Nice. I didnt realise they had such good sporting facilities.

What are their science labs like? Andrews apparently has an amazing science block.
    I know Terenure has 3 science labs, woodwork room, home Ec kitchen, computer room and that was 20 years ago. They have built new facilities since then

Edit : there listed here. http://www.terenurecollege.ie/index.php/about-the-college/facilities

You said "most private schools". There are 56 private schools, most do not have that.

I've been to Clongwes, it had good facilities but the swimming pool was about 60 years old and was more like a tub. The dorms were infested with mice and the showering facilities, whilst clean were hardly the ritz. The assembly hall was a bog standard hall you'd see in a national school. The Tennis courts were tarmac.

In Blackrock the two pools were both very old. There is no astro/all weather pitch.

Andrews has excellent facilities. You don't need 1o rugby pitches when you have just 300 boys playing the sport.

You said "most private schools". There are 56 private schools, most do not have that.

I've been to Clongwes, it had good facilities but the swimming pool was about 60 years old and was more like a tub. The dorms were infested with mice and the showering facilities, whilst clean were hardly the ritz. The assembly hall was a bog standard hall you'd see in a national school. The Tennis courts were tarmac.

In Blackrock the two pools were both very old. There is no astro/all weather pitch.

Andrews has excellent facilities. You don't need 10 rugby pitches when you have just 300 boys playing the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

ACA2015 wrote: »

I've been to Clongwes, it had good facilities but the swimming pool was about 60 years old and was more like a tub. The dorms were infested with mice and the showering facilities, whilst clean were hardly the ritz. The assembly hall was a bog standard hall you'd see in a national school. The Tennis courts were tarmac..
    If you are still alive, pray tell us what century were you studied there? Have you ever been back? :rolleyes:

OP - take the DART at around 0800 towards Blackrock during term-time, look at the behaviour of the students and you would cross Andrews and Newpark off the list. Consider Wesley or High School. Or Sandford Park. It's a tough call if you want a non-RC education, Newpark is free so you could save the cash and send the kid to the Institute of Education for 6th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Speaking as local parent and veteran of parent-y gossip about schools:

Newpark has a very good reputation locally, for a broad, inclusive general education that has many options available for all ranges of ability and aptitude.

(Oatlands, by the way, does not.)

St Andrews really does have amazing up-to-date facilities. But the teaching quality may be no better than at any school.

Sandford Pk well spoken of.

Couple of my sons went to Benildus in Dundrum, large school with diverse intake, very satisfied with results, no complaints. (famous for chess club)

Retrospective wisdom:
    in the long term, the parents, family, and home environment have more effect on the final outcome for your child than any amount or type of formal schooling.
    Just saying!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 betty2007

We are moving back to Ireland with 15 yrs old and 12 yrs old boys. St Andrew was our first choice of school because it is academically strong(we thought) and a mixed school(we prefer mixed to boys) and more international. but reading all the comments in the thread, it seems St Andrews might not be the best???

betty2007 wrote: »
    We are moving back to Ireland with 15 yrs old and 12 yrs old boys. St Andrew was our first choice of school because it is academically strong(we thought) and a mixed school(we prefer mixed to boys) and more international. but reading all the comments in the thread, it seems St Andrews might not be the best???

We have a lot of friends with kids in Andrews. I would have no hesitation in sending my child there.

Thank you Fratton Fred.  I am looking for school with strong academic records. Would you have more opinion on this? Wesley vs St Andrew / St Andrew vs Gonzaga?

Thank you Fratton Fred.  I am looking for school with strong academic records. Would you have more opinion on this? Wesley vs St Andrew / St Andrew vs Gonzaga?

I don't know much about Gonzaga, but I would put Andrews and Wesley on par with each other.

The Irish times publishes a ranking if schools, but this is only based on the number of school leavers that go on to tertiary education in Ireland and if a child goes in to Cambridge or Harvard, they are not recognised.

Our friends son is currently at Trinity studying law and their daughter is likely to follow suit, both ex Andrews children. We have another friend who has children in there and they are planning on doing a science based course at Trinity as well

That said, I have a niece who got over 600 points in her leaving and is doing science at UCD, she went to Newpark.

If you base a school on academic records see here:
    http://www.familyfriendlyhq.ie/family-blog/top-secondary-schools-in-ireland-for-2016-have-been-revealed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

Stephen15 wrote: »
    What about Clonkeen College or Oatlands both very good schools and well served by buses.

There was a bit of bullying in Oatlands from my friends who went there...And AFAIK, wasn't there an incident involving an expulsion of students over Facebook comments a few years ago?

Just curious OP, why do you dislike Newpark? It's not that bad now that they have the new facilities. Pretty great IMO when I went there apart from the building, especially with the mixed environment.

We are currently living abroad and we visited St Andrews, Wesley and St Columba's last winter. Location wise, St Columba's was the worst as there is no public transportation near by and we prefer to live not too rural. But in the end we chose St. Columba's. the school had an amazing science lab and library. Great atmosphere and very private setting was also different from other schools. Also they have an excellent leaving cert result and the information was available for us to see it whilst Wesley and St Andrew's managed to talk about it vaguely.

We are currently living abroad and we visited St Andrews, Wesley and St Columba's last winter. Location wise, St Columba's was the worst as there is no public transportation near by and we prefer to live not too rural. But in the end we chose St. Columba's. the school had an amazing science lab and library. Great atmosphere and very private setting was also different from other schools. Also they have an excellent leaving cert result and the information was available for us to see it whilst Wesley and St Andrew's managed to talk about it vaguely.

do they not have their own bus service?

I was sure I heard about a bus from Dalkey provided by the school

yes school bus pick up from Dalkey and Killiney Dart stations. that limits our choice of home in Dublin down to Dalkey and Killiney!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

yes school bus pick up from Dalkey and Killiney Dart stations. that limits our choice of home in Dublin down to Dalkey and Killiney!

Or anywhere along the dart line

Advertisement