Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on handing out leaflets to tourists?

Options
  • 05-07-2015 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi guys looking for advice on approaching businesses and seeing if they would like to pay me to hand out leaflets around the areas where tourists would be frequently around .

I would like to also be informational about helping tourists find the best places to visits and hand out maps with places to visit etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Not sure how I would feel if someone approached us to do it. Why would someone pay you to do it instead of one of their staff who are going to know a lot more about the business if someone has a question. Are you planning on handing out multiple flyers so you can reduce the €/hour charge per business?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

jimmii wrote:
    Not sure how I would feel if someone approached us to do it. Why would someone pay you to do it instead of one of their staff who are going to know a lot more about the business if someone has a question. Are you planning on handing out multiple flyers so you can reduce the €/hour charge per business?

jimmii wrote:

Yes exactly , and recommending that business to tourists if they are looking for a place to eat , or go for a drink etc... I would be looking to charge €4- €5 per hour . I would be hoping to do this every day outside the main tourist area

Not sure whats going on with the formatting there is that €4/€5 an hour? That would make it more appealing but only if it were probably two flyers max that you were giving each person the more flyers the less likely yours is to be seen and therefor reducing the value. I think you might get some you might be interested in having you do it but only if they are limited on staff I would much prefer to have flyers being handed out by someone in a branded top or uniform who are going to know a lot about the business.

You could combine it with doing flyers drops to houses as well possibly. Maybe offer to do 1k drops to houses and 1k at a location or locations of their choosing.

Ya sorry my phone doesn't show the currency properly. But I was just hoping to target tourists and even get a map printed off to hand it to tourists with maybe coupons attached to it if business are willing so do offers . Like get them to pay to be advertised on my little map it's just I run into so many tourists asking where is this , where is nice place to drink .

I would even get a shirt printed with " if you need help ask me!"

The map idea is something there is a bit of already we tried it didn't really work for us but from talking to the guys who run it there is really big demand for it how believable that is though i'm not sure they are normally distributed via hotels you pay a good bit to get in them. Tourists might be interested in a retail map with spots to buy Irish products locally. You would have to put a bit of money up first to get sample maps printed before expecting to sign up any businesses they will normally want to see something ahead of time.

• Advertisement

That's it, I ll have to get a few printed off this week from vistaprint and start making appointments once it's done. It's just so not tourist friendly here it really needs more help for tourists to find the cool irish goods

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

jimmii wrote: »
    You could combine it with doing flyers drops to houses as well possibly. Maybe offer to do 1k drops to houses and 1k at a location or locations of their choosing.

If this is aimed at tourists then flyer drops to houses would be a waste of time. Focusing on the main tourist areas and handling out flyers would be the only way to go about it.

What city or area are we talking about here OP? You have to consider as a tourist I wouldnt want you approaching me with a handful of leaflets, one leaflet as a trifold would be enough. In Dublin there is already free tours that start off around Dublin Castle and some of the other main tourist spots, if its Dublin then you have to compete with those and some of them seem to have deals where they bring the tour to a certain coffee shop etc so they probably get some sort of kick back for that too.

What sort of charge are you looking at for a business and what do they get for that money, then whats your costs for printing (bare in mind the flyer would have to be of decent quality for a business to put themselves on there) and after all that how much do you make?

Axwell wrote: »
    If this is aimed at tourists then flyer drops to houses would be a waste of time. Focusing on the main tourist areas and handling out flyers would be the only way to go about it.

Lol yeh good point! I guess you can go for businesses targeting both like a lot of retail would be. Think the map is the thing he wants to focus on anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Beer Assistant

Don't waste you're money on this venture most of the tourist shops already have there own staff handing out maps to tourist's, plus it's only a six month window March to the end of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Check the council bylaws.

I've heard whispers about laws re handing out material in the street, due to the littering issues it causes. I know that people do it occasionally (have done it myself to promote specific events), but if you were full time every day the council would look harder at you, I think, and you may find yourself moved on. And Failté won't like an unaccredited person handing out stuff outside their official offices.

On a practical level: if you want people to look at what you hand them, stand beside a rubbish bin. If you stand a few metres down the road from one, then most of what you hand out goes straight in to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

There's already services that do that via hotel and attraction brochure displays.

One I use costs €1000 for a year to give you positioning in all hotels in a certain area - far better response from people who choose to select your brochure from a display.

Also, as above, it is against bylaws to hand out leaflets in the street and the place named on the leaflet gets fined (about €800) - that's why you don't see anyone doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Maybe its just me, and I travel a lot, but if anyone approaches me in a tourist area I'm instantly on guard for a scam especially if they are not dressed officially or dressed like they are promoting something.

Advertisement