Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish ID

Options
  • 05-07-2015 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

Hoping ye can help me ID this fish because the food forum are no help :p best guess so far is sea bream. It has yellowish scales on its belly and looks very sad about something. Sorry for the very poor quality picture.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I think Sea Bream are silver with a blue tinge - But maybe come in various colours.

I dont know what it is by the way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

It's a very sad fish by the look on it's face :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Definitely not a sea bream, no doubt about that.

Not the best picture for I.d. But a couple of possibilities; could be a meagre from the med, could also be an African or Asian species, I've seen a few like it.
    Where did it come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I got it in the Asia market on Drury St, from a box marked turbot

It's a very sad fish by the look on it's face :)

Wouldn't you be if you were him? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

That is the saddest fish I have ever seen :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Looks a bit like a Gilthead Bream - definitely not a Turbot, regardless of what it said on the box!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Looks a bit like a Gilthead Bream - definitely not a Turbot, regardless of what it said on the box!

No, nothing like a gilt head bream.

Definitely not a gilt head bream.

I'll just label it as an Atlantic Sad Fish so. It wasn't particularly tasty, but enough garlic and butter can cure anything :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

Looks like dorado to me - sea bream, except for the mouth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Looks very similar to a North American Shad, although I don't know why it would be on this side of the Atlantic

Advertisement