Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭DopeTech

What are the biggest flaws with this phone?
    Processor camera....

I'd say the camera is the only let down. Couldn't really fault it otherwise. The camera is not terrible but in bad light/places with flashing lights it can be very slow to take a picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭gazump123

FrostyJim wrote: »
    A restart, just a power off and on again.

Didn't work, factory reset did though.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

What are the biggest flaws with this phone?
    Processor camera....

My arse literally, I sat on mine and cracked the screen.
    Hoping to get it fixed soon, as said by others the camera in low light isn't great but that's true for most phones.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭alanowx

The new update I find is possibly a little heavier on system resources but not by much.

Bought a second SU6 last week (£100) and is still on 5.0.2 (UK03c build). My first is shop bought here (now MR02b build). A quick comparison between the two looking at System-Apps-Running setting with the exact same apps installed and only essential ones allowed to auto-start i find the following on startup, (Unfortunately cannot post screenshots as I am a "new" user.)

SU6 5.0.2..UK..System ...about 290 to 315 of Ram, Apps...160 of Ram, Free...1.4GB of Ram.

SU6 5.1.1..IRL..System...about 450 to 432 of Ram, Apps..145 of Ram, Free...1.3GB of Ram.

I know this is totally unscientific and the ROMS are different but what i thought was interesting was that while the update does appear to use more system ram the figure dropped from the initial 450 to 432 after a minute or two and stayed there. The opposite was true of 5.0.2 - it began to rise over time with no user inputs.

Perhaps the update has better memory management but in either case these figures are a lot better than my previous phone, a Samsung S5 which I sold, have never regretted doing so and I'm still in profit.

BTW this SU6 makes a brilliant phone for mobile hotspot with an appropriate "all you can eat" sim. It has never dropped a 3G connection yet and with up to 10 hrs continuous use. Now who needs a MiFi with rip-off broadband prices and limits. And you can even use your SU6 to make the odd phone call !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

I'm getting way better battery life since updating, usually had to charge it every night but I've 4 hours screen on time and its 28hrs standby with 30% battery still left in it.. Now I'm really happy with this phone :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Annoynig Data roaming notification gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Anyone have any issues using this in the US?

I cant register on any network with it. Also only seeing T-Mobile available.

no one else has seen this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

signostic wrote: »
    Also ordered on the 24th (see my previous posts) and they said it was posted on the 25th. Rang on Post this morning and the person I spoke to said there was a backlog of packages from Amazon.co.uk.
    The An Post number is 1850 57 58 59 you will need your tracking number.

Refunded £102.50 today by Amazon.co.uk, doubt if they had the phone in stock at all. Cheapest I see now is still Amazon.co.uk but now £115 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭kissmequick

I updated this callplus shoyte and now there's some sort of a pattern on the texting screen it's like the pattern of the inside of a ladies Handbag?!? :o And now it's proving difficult to see text conversations. :/ Plus I sent a text there but it says sms not available yet? What does that mean? Why invent these shyte features if I can't avail of them yet. Can I not just have normal texts without call plus and message+ crap. :/ There is a green tick on the text. Does that mean that it is actually sent from my phone?

I havn't done any rooting stuff, had thought to myself that Battery life wasn't great but I didn't really have anything to compare it to so I didn't know yes or no or in-different, anyways apparently right now, there is another 5 hours 49 minutes of Battery Power left in it if I'm reading it right, which would be like up to nearly 4am, I can't believe that!!! I had a Blockia N8 before this and Battery most definitely lasted through an over-night, since I've got this phone, most days would be needing to plug it in by I think Midnight or so or maybe earlier. I can't believe this.

anyone have an issue using this phone in the states?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

New update allows you to turn on airplane mode and restart by holding the power button too.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

anyone have an issue using this phone in the states?

It doesn't work with American carriers as they use frequencies which this phone doesn't support unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

ComfortKid wrote: »
    New update allows you to turn on airplane mode and restart by holding the power button too.

You could do that before ;)

You could do that before

You sure? I don't think it was working for me, as soon as I touched the power button the phone would go to sleep. Only started working after update for me

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭alanowx

@Kissmequick

I'd say most if not all users of the SU6 have uninstalled those VF pre-installed apps. For texting a much better alternative is Handcent Next SMS with various skins available to customize every aspect including colours and fonts. Combine that with the SwiftKey Keyboard app and your good to go.

The "green tick" may indicate that text is either sent or perhaps delivered at the other end depending on how its setup. The battery life is probably the phones best feature so I'd advise you to check what's going on by way of background activity if you find it poor.

Snowc wrote: »
    It doesn't work with American carriers as they use frequencies which this phone doesn't support unfortunately.

Oh, thats disappointing, i thought since it supported GSM 850 it would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Since I updated to latest android my data has improved from h to h+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

J o e wrote: »
    Are there any good premium back covers or slimline cases available for this? Specs look great for the price but it's a damn ugly device!

This is a slim cover, adding no bulk on what is already a big phone.

The Silver/White version isn't ugly in comparison to the Black/Antracite version all said, but this cover does a good cover up job nonetheless with no extra size issues.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/381427947836?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=650586280469&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Snowc wrote: »

I assume one could still use it via wifi for whatapp and viber etc in America?

This is a slim cover, adding no bulk on what is already a big phone.

Thank you. Just purchased that. A bit late through, I already got a big scratch or crack down the whole screen.

• Advertisement

ComfortKid wrote: »
    You sure? I don't think it was working for me, as soon as I touched the power button the phone would go to sleep. Only started working after update for me

Was working for me in 5.0.2. Think there was something wrong with your phone or you were tapping it instead of holding it.

I updated this callplus shoyte and now there's some sort of a pattern on the texting screen it's like the pattern of the inside of a ladies Handbag?!? :o And now it's proving difficult to see text conversations. :/ Plus I sent a text there but it says sms not available yet? What does that mean? Why invent these shyte features if I can't avail of them yet. Can I not just have normal texts without call plus and message+ crap. :/ There is a green tick on the text. Does that mean that it is actually sent from my phone?

I havn't done any rooting stuff, had thought to myself that Battery life wasn't great but I didn't really have anything to compare it to so I didn't know yes or no or in-different, anyways apparently right now, there is another 5 hours 49 minutes of Battery Power left in it if I'm reading it right, which would be like up to nearly 4am, I can't believe that!!! I had a Blockia N8 before this and Battery most definitely lasted through an over-night, since I've got this phone, most days would be needing to plug it in by I think Midnight or so or maybe earlier. I can't believe this.

You just need to uninstall and or disable message+, not sure about the dialer. I don't recall having a Vodafone branded one but it may be something that will go away when you remove message+. Have we not been through this before? If you have nobody to help you. Send me a pm and i could remotely setup your phone using the teamviewer host beta app if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Tbh it seems like you don't really know how to set up the phone or change small things to your personal tastes.

Have you not got a friend/family member that would sit down with you to adjust or delete what you don't need on the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

Just an fyi, I tried to get the screen replaced on my phone in Dublin last night, I tried Talbot Street, Henry Street, Moore Street and Liffey street but no joy. This is a side effect of a non branded phone. Off I go to search for another solution as the phone is great and I don't want to change.

C

Cionn wrote:
    Just an fyi, I tried to get the screen replaced on my phone in Dublin last night, I tried Talbot Street, Henry Street, Moore Street and Liffey street but no joy. This is a side effect of a non branded phone. Off I go to search for another solution as the phone is great and I don't want to change.

Will Vodafone not help out here? Surely if it broke from just being in your pocket it's not your fault but a fault of the phones construction/build quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭smilgy

I bought one of these last night along with a 64GB SDXC card. Can anyone confirm that SDXC works with this phone? I haven't opened the packaging to the card so should be no problem returning it if it does not work.

EDIT: I guess I should have googled more Link. It does !

DanC90 wrote: »
    Will Vodafone not help out here? Surely if it broke from just being in your pocket it's not your fault but a fault of the phones construction/build quality?

They won't usually entertain smashed screens unless the cracks are on the inside of the glass. Had a quick search and the zte blade s6 screen can be got from china for about €35. Presume that would work as the su6 is just rebadged. That's if your feeling confident enough to replace it yourself. I know I tried before on an old htc and made a mess of it. Sometimes its not as easy as the videos!

smilgy wrote: »
    I bought one of these last night along with a 64GB SDXC card. Can anyone confirm that SDXC works with this phone? I haven't opened the packaging to the card so should be no problem returning it if it does not work.

EDIT: I guess I should have googled more Link. It does !

Yeah that should work no problem.

^^
    I have that Micro SD reserved myself so I'm curious to know if it works well too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Vodafone will replace the screen themselves for €90.

Advertisement