Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭JustMac

signostic wrote: »
    On my original order the phone was£102.50 and free p&p.
    Since then the price has jumped to £115 and they want postage of about £20...No Thanks..

I had meant to add that I got it for £102.50, ordered on the 4th December which is why I was surprised that people who ordered earlier at the same price didn't have their orders honoured while I got mine for that price at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

signostic wrote: »
    On my original order the phone was£102.50 and free p&p.
    Since then the price has jumped to £115 and they want postage of about £20...No Thanks..

Because Amazon is out of stock and you're buying from 3rd party...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bbito3

FrostyJim wrote: »
    When you uodated did you do a factory reset? Is your WiFi working? You won't need APN settings until you have inserted a sim. You'll only need them if they don't automatically download. They are in settings-more-mobile networks-access point names.
    I haven't actually updated yet because I keep getting the network error thing when I try to update it and yeah my WiFi is working as I can use YouTube and download apps etc

Edit: There was a problem with my WiFi weirdly but I have the update now thanks for the help guys appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 43,888 ✭✭✭✭Basq

grogi wrote: »
    Because Amazon is out of stock and you're buying from 3rd party...
    Black is still being sold by Amazon, just the silver is third-party..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Picked up this yesterday as a pressie,got unlock code thanks to the links here,all done in a minute after I got the code.
    Was tempted to keep it for myself.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,752 ✭✭✭✭dahat

zerks wrote: »
    Picked up this yesterday as a pressie,got unlock code thanks to the links here,all done in a minute after I got the code.
    Was tempted to keep it for myself.:D

Decent phone, nothing but impressed by it plus my wife and son have gotten one since.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just FYI to those who have this, updating to 5.1 changed my ringtone, was wondering what the hell the noise was, until I realised it was me!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭alanowx

Anyone have any issues using this in the US?

I cant register on any network with it. Also only seeing T-Mobile available.

I don't see a reply to your question so i'll attempt to do so from here in the Green Isle.

The SU6 is just a Tribander working at 900/1800/1900 mhz on GSM Band, targeted at EU networks. US networks operate GSM at 850 and 1900mhz. So you can see that 850 is sadly lacking and common to all Quad-band phones. However it appears that some networks like AT&T, T-Mobile and US-Mobile operate at 1900mhz in some locations so may be available to you.

As regards LTE in USA you are out of luck where Bands 2,4,5,12 and 17 are the order of the day and lacking from our band3(1800), B7(2600), B8(900) and B20 (800) phone.

For UTMS (3G) the situation is no better. It appears none of the major networks use 900 / 2100 mhz of the SU6 either. Checkout site willmyphonework.net for more info.

Note that Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 is not listed on that site but its often compared to ZTE Blade S6 Plus which according to site ztedevices.com has similar frequencies but with the addition of 850mhz at GSM and Band 1(2100) on LTE.

So in summary if you want a cheap phone for global travel you will have to look elsewhere.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

In the US this connected to AT&T (only network it would connect to on Meteor). But as said above it was very intermittent and a lot of the time it wouldn't connect at all.

I paid Meteor €20 for a USA Roaming package but wasn't really able to use it, only went through about 50MB of 200MB. There were loads of free Wifi spots though so wasn't too bad as I could use Whatsapp for texts etc.

If you need to make and receive a lot of calls though its probably best to get another phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,013 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Just FYI to those who have this, updating to 5.1 changed my ringtone, was wondering what the hell the noise was, until I realised it was me!
    my ringtone stayed ok after the update,

double tap on the home button to wake up the phone is a bit hit and miss

• Advertisement

alanowx wrote: »
    Note that Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 is not listed on that site but its often compared to ZTE Blade S6 Plus which according to site ztedevices.com has similar frequencies but with the addition of 850mhz at GSM and Band 1(2100) on LTE.

Correction - The Smart Ultra 6 is actually listed at willmyphonework.net under brand Vodafone Mobile... D'oh!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

I am having no luck at all with rooting my VF SU6 :( I have tried kingroot that rooted it ... until I restarted the phone then it lost root, then tonight I factory reset my phone and rooted it successfully with Wondershare mobilego one click ... and that rooted it, bingo I thought at last its rooted ... but it wasnt to be because again after reboot it was unrooted again!! :mad:

Think I will have to resign fact that Im never gonna get this phone rooted, well not yet anyway. its doing my head in - I know others have permanently rooted this phone but I dunno why mine is not conforming

Hi Andy,

Once you have (temporarily) rooted with King Root I think you need to replace King User with SuperSU, see http://androidmtk.com/replace-kinguser-with-supersu. You can then use Root Checker https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joeykrim.rootcheck to see if you are permanently rooted or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Double tap to wake is hit on miss on any device i've ever used, Windows and Android

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Any battery saving tips? I'm struggling to get 3 hours on-screen time with brightness almost down to minimum and using 3G (4G disabled).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭DopeTech

GvidoR wrote: »
    Any battery saving tips? I'm struggling to get 3 hours on-screen time with brightness almost down to minimum and using 3G (4G disabled).

Has your battery life took a hit since the update? Think mine has.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

FrostyJim wrote:
    Has your battery life took a hit since the update? Think mine has.

Don't think so, it was about the same before too.

EDIT: It might had something to do with the fact that I had a million apps in the background. Cleared them all and will see if there's any change.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Quick one about this phone
    on mine when reading say a page. The screen goes dark- bright-dark-bright. Never stays at a constant brightness.
    I know this is probably a simple thing to sort.
    Any help?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

vectra wrote: »
    on mine when reading say a page. The screen goes dark- bright-dark-bright. Never stays at a constant brightness.
    Any help?
    Cheers

Check is autobrightness enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

It appears the 5.1.1 update has not activated quick charge technology. Bought an Aukey PA-T1 Qualcomm 2.0 compatible charger last w/end and was hoping this would work with the update.

In 1 hr it went from 1% to 33% so I guess Vodafone/ZTE haven't switched it on despite advertising this feature on the Box. A shame. No other issues to report with update apart from Google Play Services initially notifying that it had stopped on phone startup. That appears to have corrected itself.

is it anything to do with the uspdates at all - i mean as far as I can see it, its the amperage of the plug in wall charger that speeds up charging. My wife has a Doogee (funny name but good phone) and the charger that came with her phone I think is 5v 1.5a output whereby other chargers could be 500ma or 1a (1000ma) so I think that maybe would faster charge the battery .. although I am not 100% sure thats what it is , maybe I am wrong and maybe it is done by software. - im sure someone will put me right if i have got it wrong.

is it anything to do with the uspdates at all - i mean as far as I can see it, its the amperage of the plug in wall charger that speeds up charging. My wife has a Doogee (funny name but good phone) and the charger that came with her phone I think is 5v 1.5a output whereby other chargers could be 500ma or 1a (1000ma) so I think that maybe would faster charge the battery .. although I am not 100% sure thats what it is , maybe I am wrong and maybe it is done by software. - im sure someone will put me right if i have got it wrong.

The actual SoC dictates whether the device is compatible with quick charging (which the SnapDragon 615 is), and it's a higher voltage that is used in quick chargers.

If someone is rooted, there are probably a few xmls you could play around with you try to get quick charge working.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

vectra wrote: »
    Any help?
    Cheers

If you have a case on it it might be partially obscuring the light sensor or you might be covering it with your finger

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Was working for me in 5.0.2. Think there was something wrong with your phone or you were tapping it instead of holding it.

yeah thats right its always worked like this : a quick tap , phone goes into standby, long'ish hold the menu comes uo with restart plane mode etc ... a really long hold, the phone will shut down or shut down and reboot - always worked like that for me even on the previous rom

Hi Andy,

Once you have (temporarily) rooted with King Root I think you need to replace King User with SuperSU, see http://androidmtk.com/replace-kinguser-with-supersu. You can then use Root Checker https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joeykrim.rootcheck to see if you are permanently rooted or not.

Thanks, the way I had to do it is push Team win recovery through terminal app and then replace supersu and then phone kept root after restarts

so here is where I am at, at the moment. I downloaded the Turkish Rom the other week and I am getting on with it fine and have the phone working how I like it .... so I am just wondering now shall I update it with the Ireland rom now its available or leave it Turkey ROM - if there is nothing to achieve I'd rather leave it as it is.

Andy I believe there more to it than just the output ampage. I have a charger here that can output 5V @ 2400mA and it charges the SU6 no faster than the 1500mA charger that comes with the phone.

I believe the trick with fast chargers is that it can apply more voltage once both the phone's hardware chip and charger are Qualcomm Quick Charge compatable. Well we know that the Snapdragon 615 has the technology so there must be some trigger either software/hardware that's not switched on.

My Charger's quick charge port can output 5V @ 2A, 9v @ 2A and 12V @ 1.5A. Fantastic charger in my opinion for £16.99 search Amazon UK for Aukey PA-T1 (Sorry no link)

OH I see that Basil3 beat me to it

I downloaded a keyboard app called emoji keyboard plus from wavestudio from the play store the other day and then downloaded the emoji keyboard os9 white theme for it from waterwavecenter - am liking it tons better that the default keyboard app on the SU6

Andy I believe there more to it than just the output ampage. I have a charger here that can output 5V @ 2400mA and it charges the SU6 no faster than the 1500mA charger that comes with the phone.

I believe the trick with fast chargers is that it can apply more voltage once both the phone's hardware chip and charger are Qualcomm Quick Charge compatable. Well we know that the Snapdragon 615 has the technology so there must be some trigger either software/hardware that's not switched on.

My Charger's quick charge port can output 5V @ 2A, 9v @ 2A and 12V @ 1.5A. Fantastic charger in my opinion for £16.99 search Amazon UK for Aukey PA-T1 (Sorry no link)

OH I see that Basil3 beat me to it

I stand corrected then - i dont mind at all, i was just thinking that maybe the higher amperage caused it to charge quicker.

I downloaded a keyboard app called emoji keyboard plus from wavestudio from the play store the other day and then downloaded the emoji keyboard os9 white theme for it from waterwavecenter - am liking it tons better that the default keyboard app on the SU6

Has anyone else changed their keyboard app or just using the stock one that came with the SU6?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Has anyone else changed their keyboard app or just using the stock one that came with the SU6?

Is it possible to get bigger letters on the keyboard? I find it hard enough to text on it, I'm constantly making typos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Swiftkey seems to be the most popular.

I wanted to download the Xmas theme but I have to use a Google+ account :mad:

Advertisement