Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

Can anyone confirm if the Snapchat / Facebook photo bug is addressed with the latest update?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Doodlebug wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if the Snapchat / Facebook photo bug is addressed with the latest update?

I don't use it myself but someone else here on boards said problem is still there after update.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 kinanoman

The snapchat Filter bug is still present after update.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

GvidoR wrote: »
    Any battery saving tips? I'm struggling to get 3 hours on-screen time with brightness almost down to minimum and using 3G (4G disabled).

I easily get twice what you get, and have since the start. You'll have to look at your settings->battery, and see what is eating your battery. I would bet there's a rogue app in there that's sucking your battery dry.

Current battery 64%, screen on time, 2 hours. Just to give you an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

Hi,

My computer refuses to recognise the Phone.
    Connecting via a usb.
    Nothing.

Am I missing something ??

Thanks

Jay

• Advertisement

Jay Dee wrote: »
    Hi,

Connecting via a usb.
    Nothing.

Thanks

Jay

Turn on MTP.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭patrickLouth1

What is a good case for this phone was looking on amazon at a shock proof one but would this be to big?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Turn on MTP.

Settings-> storage -> USB computer connection (top right corner, there's 3 dots) enable "media device" option (MTP).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

Anyone know is there a cable u can get to connect the phone to a hdmi tv so I can watch stuff off Kodi app on my phone on my TV?

robwen wrote: »
    Anyone know is there a cable u can get to connect the phone to a hdmi tv so I can watch stuff off Kodi app on my phone on my TV?

99% certain this phone doesn't support mhl. You can get a first gen Chromecast on adverts for €20, that's probably your best bet. Then there is apps that allow you to cast kodi to Chromecast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

so pleased with the battery stamina in the VFSU6 - when you think how they have made the battery last so long much longer than on my galaxy note and galaxy S3 which I was lucky if it coluld last til end of day - with my SU6 some nights I go to bed and its still on 86% .. thats mad! - but in a good way! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Mine has been unlocked and upgraded to 5.1.

Seems to have developed a problem however... vibrates but does not ring for an incoming call. However.. if its in the car connected the Bluetooth and receives an incoming call the phone itself does actually both ring and vibrate.

Bizzare one. Any ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,752 ✭✭✭✭dahat

so pleased with the battery stamina in the VFSU6 - when you think how they have made the battery last so long much longer than on my galaxy note and galaxy S3 which I was lucky if it coluld last til end of day - with my SU6 some nights I go to bed and its still on 86% .. thats mad! - but in a good way! :)

Love the phone but I'm a battery killer user, often need a second charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

Anybody recommend an app for when opening / closing cover the screen auto turns on/off? The ones I've found via google wont work. I have a leather cover that I bought in the Vodafone store so I guess its an official cover. Thanks

Just got the phone, this thread is prohibitively long so apologies if answered

FrostyJim wrote: »
    99% certain this phone doesn't support mhl. You can get a first gen Chromecast on adverts for €20, that's probably your best bet. Then there is apps that allow you to cast kodi to Chromecast.

Even better option is to buy a cheap Android box for 20-25, run kodi or showbox on that and still have your phone free to browse boards :p

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

Quigs Snr wrote:
    Seems to have developed a problem however... vibrates but does not ring for an incoming call. However.. if its in the car connected the Bluetooth and receives an incoming call the phone itself does actually both ring and vibrate.

Mine has been unlocked and upgraded to 5.1.

Bizzare one. Any ideas ?

I had the same issue but a reboot & reselect ringtone sorted mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Morning all.

Time for me to get the finger out.

Would this be a good upgrade from a Galaxy S4 for Mrs. S?
    Is it easy to swap everything over from the S4?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Soarer wrote: »
    Morning all.

Time for me to get the finger out.

Would this be a good upgrade from a Galaxy S4 for Mrs. S?
    Is it easy to swap everything over from the S4?

Thanks.

The GS4 is still a pretty powerful device, so I don't think it will be totally blown away by the Ultra6, but it would still be a nice change as the screen of Ultra is bigger and the Android interface is much more like that of a Google Nexus.

It should be pretty straightforward to switch.
    Anything she has bought from Play Store on GS4 will still be available through the Play Store on new phone.
    If she has her contacts backed up to Google's servers, they will automatically sync into the contacts app on new phone.

I think that because the VSU6 has Android Lollipop on it, the initial setup process will probably ask if you want to use a previous phone's settings to setup the new one, if the old one has been synching the apps and data to Google.
    At least that was how it worked on my Motorola last time I had to set it up. And like the Moto, the Ultra6 has a very similar, "stock" form of Android, so I'd think the same type of set up runs initially on first boot up. This practically completely automates the setup. Just enter your Wi-Fi and Gmail details and let it off to do it's thing.

valor wrote: »
    Anybody recommend an app for when opening / closing cover the screen auto turns on/off? The ones I've found via google wont work. I have a leather cover that I bought in the Vodafone store so I guess its an official cover. Thanks

Just got the phone, this thread is prohibitively long so apologies if answered

I think the mrs uses Pocket screen Lock from the play store on her android phone - choose the one by Golden Pie Devs - Ive just downloaded it to my SU6 now and it seems to work OK whereas the other pocket locks would just turn off the phone but not turn it on when i moved my hand away from the sensor. Before using it properly go to the settings of pocket screen lock and choose 'Always' where it says Works:

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

I think the mrs uses Pocket screen Lock from the play store on her android phone - choose the one by Golden Pie Devs - Ive just downloaded it to my SU6 now and it seems to work OK whereas the other pocket locks would just turn off the phone but not turn it on when i moved my hand away from the sensor. Before using it properly go to the settings of pocket screen lock and choose 'Always' where it says Works:

HTH

thanks but doesnt work for me, when I close the cover it doesnt lock / when I open the cover doesnt turn on the screen ;/ kind of annoying cant get that to work on this phone

• Advertisement

thanks but doesnt work for me, when I close the cover it doesnt lock / when I open the cover doesnt turn on the screen ;/ kind of annoying cant get that to work on this phone

Is the proximity sensor working properly? Try calling somebody. Does the screen switch off when its up to tour face? Or you could cover it with your finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Jay Dee wrote: »
    Hi,

Connecting via a usb.
    Nothing.

Thanks

Jay

I presume its to transfer files?

Download Android File Transfer?
    https://www.android.com/filetransfer/

thats very strange - as frosty jim says check the proximity sensor is working fine

Now, I cannot find it but I am pretty sure there has got to be , but a secret code for this Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 for testing things like the proximity sensor along with checking other hardware such as lcd screen and function buttons - but i cannot find the proper secret code, well not yet - I have even tried to find some ZTE Blade 6 plus secret codes that can test hardware of the SU6 but no joy yet

try this - when you have Pocket screen Lock installed and running on the phone, wake the phone up so its in lockscreen walpaper - then cover the top of your phone with the palm of your hand, screen should go off and then take your hand away from top of phone, lockscreen should show. If you manually use the right power button to put the phone to sleep from the lockscreen then pocketscreen lock wont work (maybe manually putting phone into standby turns off the proximity sensor on this SU6 phone)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

thats very strange - as frosty jim says check the proximity sensor is working fine

Now, I cannot find it but I am pretty sure there has got to be , but a secret code for this Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 for testing things like the proximity sensor along with checking other hardware such as lcd screen and function buttons - but i cannot find the proper secret code, well not yet - I have even tried to find some ZTE Blade 6 plus secret codes that can test hardware of the SU6 but no joy yet

This was posted here by ExcaliberRisen in Aug in this thread - " I was experiencing an issue with the phone where holding the phone to my ear causes the speaker mode to engage. Plus the screen remains blank after the call has ended. I read a couple of posts in the other smart ultra thread over in BA of people experiencing similar issues.

Anyway I did some googling and found a code to access the service menu. It's a code for the XTE Blade but I gave it a shot and it worked for me. The below code gives you access to 20 different tests you can do on the phone. The one I wanted was the Sensor option (scroll down the list).
    The sensors in the phone are 'Accelerometer', 'Magnetic', 'Light' and 'Proximity'. Proximity was the one that interested me and there's a Proximity Calibrate button which I clicked and I get the message that the calibration is ok. However under the Proximity section I see the following:

Feature_Sensor: F:trued/S:true CTS success
    X: no Fail!

I have no idea what this means. But I've dialed a couple of numbers since doing the calibration and initial impressions are that the speaker mode is not getting enabled by my ear any more and the screen comes back on when I take the phone from my ear. So it appears to have fixed the issue.

Service Menu code:
    *983*0#

Disclaimer: This worked for me but I take no responsbility if you bork your phone. :-) - "

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

Hi,

Alanstrainor,
    Thanks for the advice.
    Worked first time...
    Would never have worked it out...
    Although it seems simple now...

Thanks

Jay

jgbyr wrote: »
    This was posted here by ExcaliberRisen in Aug in this thread - " I was experiencing an issue with the phone where holding the phone to my ear causes the speaker mode to engage. Plus the screen remains blank after the call has ended. I read a couple of posts in the other smart ultra thread over in BA of people experiencing similar issues.

Anyway I did some googling and found a code to access the service menu. It's a code for the XTE Blade but I gave it a shot and it worked for me. The below code gives you access to 20 different tests you can do on the phone. The one I wanted was the Sensor option (scroll down the list).
    The sensors in the phone are 'Accelerometer', 'Magnetic', 'Light' and 'Proximity'. Proximity was the one that interested me and there's a Proximity Calibrate button which I clicked and I get the message that the calibration is ok. However under the Proximity section I see the following:

Feature_Sensor: F:trued/S:true CTS success
    X: no Fail!

I have no idea what this means. But I've dialed a couple of numbers since doing the calibration and initial impressions are that the speaker mode is not getting enabled by my ear any more and the screen comes back on when I take the phone from my ear. So it appears to have fixed the issue.

Service Menu code:
    *983*0#

Disclaimer: This worked for me but I take no responsbility if you bork your phone. :-) - "

ah what a shame - I got all excited then ... but put *983*0# into my VFSU6 and nothing happened :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,013 ✭✭✭Hitchens

bidiots wrote: »
    Double tap to wake is hit on miss on any device i've ever used, Windows and Android
    try a quadruple tap, seems to a good success rate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

ah what a shame - I got all excited then ... but put *983*0# into my VFSU6 and nothing happened :(

It works on mine

• Advertisement

jgbyr wrote: »
    It works on mine

This is why im sort of like convinced now that there are variations of VFSU6's out there on the market because there is another issue where some people have rooted their SU6 with no problems whatsoever but with some SU6 owners (including me) where it stayed rooted until the phone rebooted and then lost root. I have sorted it now and pushed TWRP to the phone and updated supersu but some people have managed to root their SU6 permanently only with using wondershare mobilego. Thats why I think there are different version SU6's - but logically *983* stands for *ZTE* and then 673636# meaning OPENEM (open Engineering Mode) - but no, none of those codes work on mu VFSU6 phone

Advertisement