Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,013 ✭✭✭Hitchens

what exactly is gained by rooting the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolliedog

Can I connect this phone to my TV via a cable. Is this function supported?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

Hitchens wrote: »

Removal of vodafone or stock apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Hitchens wrote: »

Removal of Boards adverts, major plus. (still can't root mine)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭super_freddie

GeneralC wrote: »
    Anyone come across any decent covers for it yet? I was in the Vodafone store and they wanted 25e - thought it was a bit steep

If you're prepared to wait a couple of weeks for delivery, AliExpress has lots of them. I got an excellent quality cover for Vodafone Smart Mini equivalent a couple of weeks ago. Cost me about €2.50. Double that to €5 and you'll get pretty much any cover you want I reckon. Loads there, just checked now.

super_freddie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭DopeTech

lolliedog wrote: »
    Can I connect this phone to my TV via a cable. Is this function supported?

No, its not. Chromecast is the way forward.

FrostyJim wrote: »
    No, its not. Chromecast is the way forward.

Thanks frostyjim

Would this approach give good results?

lolliedog wrote: »
    Thanks frostyjim

Would this approach give good results?

What would you be trying to watch? If you can "cast" the app then it'll work brilliantly. Mirroring your phone screen to the TV works fine for looking at menus etc but video would not be great. Have a look at it in action on YouTube. Plenty of videos of it in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭mjp

FrostyJim wrote:
    What would you be trying to watch? If you can "cast" the app then it'll work brilliantly. Mirroring your phone screen to the TV works fine for looking at menus etc but video would not be great. Have a look at it in action on YouTube. Plenty of videos of it in action.

Have cast screen of videos to TV but not the best with delay in image and freezing quite often. Would I experience same with Chromecast or is that to do with capability if cast screen option.

mjp wrote: »
    Have cast screen of videos to TV but not the best with delay in image and freezing quite often. Would I experience same with Chromecast or is that to do with capability if cast screen option.

This is how it works

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MTjomX2U0eU

Basically if you use any app to cast your content it'll look/perform just like it should a be excellent quality. Its only if you cast/mirror the actually phone screen to the TV that is not great quality sometimes.

/OT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

mjp wrote: »

Apps with proper chromecast support work well as the content is loaded directly by the chromecast itself and the device is just instructing it.

Direct casting, mirroring quality would depend on the quality/contention/interference of your network even with excellent network I find the chromecast juddery with dropped frames even without any obvious gliotches it was uncomfortable to watch due to the framerate jitter.

I just sold my chromecast as when amazon added mirroring in an update the Fire TV Stick basically made it redundant, for the extra fiver you get that lovely wireless remote, and can have prime content, iplayer, tv player, kodi, netflix, zattoo, spotify connect, sh*wbox, p*pcorntime, plex , now tv etc. etc. plus a limited amount of games. The only apps it doesn't support that we use are All4 and ITV which you can have by mirroring

Re: backing stuff up.

All of your contacts should be Google contacts.

All of your photos and videos should be automatically backed up to google photos (there are other options, but google have free unlimited storage for photos and videos).

My phone could be lost/stolen/wiped at any minute, and I know I won't lose anything important. It blows my mind how many Android users still keep their contacts as SIM contacts, or don't back up photos and videos.

Apps with proper chromecast support work well as the content is loaded directly by the chromecast itself and the device is just instructing it.

Direct casting, mirroring quality would depend on the quality/contention/interference of your network even with excellent network I find the chromecast juddery with dropped frames even without any obvious gliotches it was uncomfortable to watch due to the framerate jitter.

I just sold my chromecast as when amazon added mirroring in an update the Fire TV Stick basically made it redundant, for the extra fiver you get that lovely wireless remote, and can have prime content, iplayer, tv player, kodi, netflix, zattoo, spotify connect, sh*wbox, p*pcorntime, plex , now tv etc. etc. plus a limited amount of games. The only apps it doesn't support that we use are All4 and ITV which you can have by mirroring

Where is the best place to buy fire TV stick if you have a pm account?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

Anyone finding it impossible to update their phone? I'm using an unlocked phone (Tesco Mobile) so I have to select "roaming". The online update therefore does not work (not allowed to update when roaming). I've tried downloading the update manually but it is not being picked up. V frustrating.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Thinking about buying this as a present, is it worth the money? Main thing I want is a phone to be fast no lagging.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Pangea wrote: »
    Thinking about buying this as a present, is it worth the money? Main thing I want is a phone to be fast no lagging.

One of the best value phones out there, especially if you're buying from a store.

It's pretty fast for most things.

Anyone finding it impossible to update their phone? I'm using an unlocked phone (Tesco Mobile) so I have to select "roaming". The online update therefore does not work (not allowed to update when roaming). I've tried downloading the update manually but it is not being picked up. V frustrating.

Any ideas?

Switch off roaming temporarily and download on wifi?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Since the 5.1 update I'm getting apps closing in the background a lot. They didn't do that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭kyeev

Upgraded to 5.1.1
    First impressions: marginally slower, double tap to wake doesn't work any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

kyeev wrote: »
    Upgraded to 5.1.1

Give it a reboot? Double tap working here. No speed loss for me either, at least nothing noticeable.

• Advertisement

kyeev wrote: »
    Upgraded to 5.1.1
    Double tap gets switched off by the update. May just need to be switched on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Double-tap to wake didn't get switched off for me after the update. Don't find it slower either.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭kyeev

Double tap working after reboot. Phew.

Have switched animation from 1x to off, seems to have speeded things up again...

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭clickhere

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Double tap gets switched off by the update. May just need to be switched on again.

Thanks for that Frosty Jim,my double tap was switched off as well.It was really annoying me.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

GvidoR wrote: »
    One of the best value phones out there, especially if you're buying from a store.

It's pretty fast for most things.

Thanks sounds good

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Since the 5.1 update I'm getting apps closing in the background a lot. They didn't do that before.

I thought I noticed Facebook dropping out since my update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

corwill wrote: »
    The M4 Aqua has a lot going for it, but out of the box there's less than 2 gigs of the 8 gigs internal memory left after firmware and Sony's bloat. Seen lots of complaints about it. Pity, because reviews were positive about everything else.

cheers, yeah specs wise it doesnt compare, i reckon the vodafone one is the no brainer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

madma wrote: »
    cheers, yeah specs wise it doesnt compare, i reckon the vodafone one is the no brainer

Super spec alright one thing I missed in the specs is no 5ghz wifi, 2.4ghz in our house is useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

have this phone now about a month, love it so far:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Having trouble with Malware. Winning iPhones and something called S-lite? Can't clear or x/exit out of the stupid things when they come up, have to just close whatever I was doing and go in again. Total waste of feicing time of me having Malwarebytes, Avira, AVG, and feicing Adblock downloaded. :/

Advertisement