Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭DopeTech

madma wrote: »
    Hi,

im abroad and and signed up to virgin and have everything else working (data) but i cant make or recieve calls. head is wrecked trying to fix it, its definately a problem with the phone as sim works in other phone. does anyone know what i can do or will i just contact vodaphone?

cheers

i gave this into the phoneshop here and they checked everything from their end and couldnt fix, have checked all the ual things on the phone also and cant ge tit working:(

You need to call VM and see what roaming partner they have in the uk (presumably VM UK) and then try to select that as a network. Also make sure data roaming is on. Are you sure its mobile data that is working or are you connected to WiFi? A finally, I presume you have checked the charges for international data roaming beforehand? Its 24c per MB.

Zebbedee wrote: »
    I have it working now through messenger.
    I've never used hangouts.
    Any advantage in using that?

None unless you already use Google hangouts. If you want a messaging app just for SMS then stick with google messenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭WolfSpinach

I seem to have fixed mine by putting a few layers of sticky tape on the sim card. My South African sim was a micro that I cut down to nano so maybe it was a little thicker and bent the pins or something. Might be something to bear in mind for anybody who chopped down their sim and passes the phone on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭.red.

I picked up my one yesterday and have had a good play with it. First impressions are its effing huge. It'll take a bit of getting used to but so far I like it.
    Few quick questions tho. These might be answered already so apologies if they are. Its a big thread to read thru.
    1. What do ye recommend for a case? I'd rather something that can take a knock. The shop had none and there's too many to choose from on eBay.
    2. Is there any way of hiding apps or can i somehow put them in folders? All my previous fones I've put all the bloatware in a folder on their own so I don't see them but can't figure out how to on this. Even if I could move them around into an order that suited me I'd be happy. For now the bloatware and my own apps are all mixed in together.
    Thanks a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

sorry for the off topicness - but the wife went over to Tesco Mobile yesterday and got a mid-high budget Huawei P8 phone free on a €30euro a month bill pay plan which includes 15gb of data and some free minutes and free texts. The phone would have cost over 400€uro on prepay. 5" excellent camera Nice phone, nice and responsive. I was even thinking of ditching my Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 and going over to tesco mobile because I am paying 20eur a month for 7.5gb data and no free minutes or free texts (apart from webtexts) but I find the writing on the P8 a bit too small for my eyes, and not too keen on the metal back and 'squareness' of the phone - still a good phone though if someone looking for a cheap plan with Data and a free mid-top range phone bunged in for free!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blueskys

Hi I got one of these for my partner and got it unlocked. however it will not work on three mobile network, just wondering is there any setting in the phone i have to change to get it to work on three? According to three it is the phone itself that is the issue not their sim. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Did you try any other sim in it to check if its unlocked to others than 3?

bidiots wrote: »
    Did you try any other sim in it to check if its unlocked to others than 3?

No will do that now cheers got the unlock code off eBay and just assumed that it had unlocked

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

blueskys wrote: »
    Hi I got one of these for my partner and got it unlocked. however it will not work on three mobile network, just wondering is there any setting in the phone i have to change to get it to work on three? According to three it is the phone itself that is the issue not their sim. thanks

You need to tell us more i think. What do you mean "it doesn't work", can you make calls? Texts? Or can you just not get online? I'm on 3 with a Su6 here... no issues, and never had to do anything to configure it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭misstearheus

.red. wrote: »
    I picked up my one yesterday and have had a good play with it. First impressions are its effing huge. It'll take a bit of getting used to but so far I like it.
    Few quick questions tho. These might be answered already so apologies if they are. Its a big thread to read thru.
    1. What do ye recommend for a case? I'd rather something that can take a knock. The shop had none and there's too many to choose from on eBay.
    2. Is there any way of hiding apps or can i somehow put them in folders? All my previous fones I've put all the bloatware in a folder on their own so I don't see them but can't figure out how to on this. Even if I could move them around into an order that suited me I'd be happy. For now the bloatware and my own apps are all mixed in together.
    Thanks a mill.

Grrrrrrr this phone is driving me effing bonkers, I can't go to top of quote to reply 'cos some copy and paste shoyte keeps coming up and won't p1ss off. Anyway go to post #657 for lovely Gel Case Cover I got with few other bits thrown in too. It looks and feels like part of the phone. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

FrostyJim wrote: »
    You need to call VM and see what roaming partner they have in the uk (presumably VM UK) and then try to select that as a network. Also make sure data roaming is on. Are you sure its mobile data that is working or are you connected to WiFi? A finally, I presume you have checked the charges for international data roaming beforehand? Its 24c per MB.

data works as normal, txt and internet its just calls. i left in with phoneshop and the rang everyone they could think of all IT phone support etc and said its something to do with the phone. i tried sim in another phone and calls were working so it's definately something with the phone.

brought this phone to canada but have given up on it working. calls just wont work even though txts and internet do. just off the phone from vodaphone tech and they went through all the checks, i handed it into the phoneshop over here they tried everything also, the sim works on a diffrent phone so its a really strange issue that cant find a fix for.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cawleyp2

Thanks for all the help on this thread folks. Went from iP5 to SU6 and can't believe the difference and price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

madma wrote:
    brought this phone to canada but have given up on it working. calls just wont work even though txts and internet do. just off the phone from vodaphone tech and they went through all the checks, i handed it into the phoneshop over here they tried everything also, the sim works on a diffrent phone so its a really strange issue that cant find a fix for.

Don't they use a different frequency in U.S & Canada than Europe so most phones from here won't work there and vice versa?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭vectra

madma wrote: »

Somewhere back along this thread a mamber pointed out these will not work in America.
    I yoo was recently in Toronto and could not use it.
    I did viber calls and messaging.

You need to tell us more i think. What do you mean "it doesn't work", can you make calls? Texts? Or can you just not get online? I'm on 3 with a Su6 here... no issues, and never had to do anything to configure it.

Hi well it says "no sim card " when there is a sim card in it. i have tried my own sim card which unfortunately is 02/three as well and it doesnt recognise that either, i am just wondering is there something in settings which is not letting it recognise network thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Hi well it says "no sim card " when there is a sim card in it. i have tried my own sim card which unfortunately is 02/three as well and it doesnt recognise that either, i am just wondering is there something in settings which is not letting it recognise network thanks

I know I maybe am stating the obvious but ye have the sim card in it the proper way up (although I would imagine it wouldnt slide in if sim card up wrong way) also, it is proper size nano sim and not one you have cut down?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I know I maybe am stating the obvious but ye have the sim card in it the proper way up (although I would imagine it wouldnt slide in if sim card up wrong way) also, it is proper size nano sim and not one you have cut down?

If you go back to the start of this thread, loads of users, myself included had similar issues with putting the card in the wrong way. Easy mistake to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

.red. wrote: »
    Thanks a mill.

1. I used a silicone gel case that I bought for a fiver on ebay from a guy in Cork. It fits close to it so doesn't add bulk and creates a lip around the screen edge so it takes the hit before the screen will. I've dropped it a few times and it has saved the phone. I also bought a tempered glass screen protector and much prefer it to the plastic things I used to have. Again, it too has saved the screen more than once.

2.You can press and hold the app in the app drawer and drag it to the uninstall or app info option at the top of the screen. If app info is the only option, you can disable it there.

Some ones can be deleted, some only disabled.
    I updated with the Turkish 5.1.1 update to get the improved audio (well worth it btw: its like chalk and cheese when compared to what it was before) and I think it had 15 apps I deleted/disabled. I have even disabled the camera app in place of Open Camera that was recommended earlier. Just remember to backup everything (I forgot my texts) before you update.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,012 ✭✭✭Hitchens

1. I used a silicone gel case that I bought for a fiver on ebay from a guy in Cork. It fits close to it so doesn't add bulk and creates a lip around the screen edge so it takes the hit before the screen will. I've dropped it a few times and it has saved the phone. I also bought a tempered glass screen protector and much prefer it to the plastic things I used to have. Again, it too has saved the screen more than once.

2.You can press and hold the app in the app drawer and drag it to the uninstall or app info option at the top of the screen. If app info is the only option, you can disable it there.

Some ones can be deleted, some only disabled.
    I updated with the Turkish 5.1.1 update to get the improved audio (well worth it btw: its like chalk and cheese when compared to what it was before) and I think it had 15 apps I deleted/disabled. I have even disabled the camera app in place of Open Camera that was recommended earlier. Just remember to backup everything (I forgot my texts) before you update.
    Can you explain a bit more about the improved audio?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭steve_r

Thanks for the advice folks.

The only issue I'm having is with my SD card, which is either giving me notifications for "SD Card removed unexpectadly"

I've taken it out a few times and tried again but the same errors continue.
    It's an old 32gb micro sd card that worked perfectly in my now broken m8.

steve_r wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice folks.

The only issue I'm having is with my SD card, which is either giving me notifications for "SD Card removed unexpectadly"

I've taken it out a few times and tried again but the same errors continue.
    It's an old 32gb micro sd card that worked perfectly in my now broken m8.
    Only way to test is to put another SD card in and see if you get the same error.

If you go back to the start of this thread, loads of users, myself included had similar issues with putting the card in the wrong way. Easy mistake to make.

Ya its definitely in the right way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Have to agree with the others, sounds like you are putting the card in the wrong way. Do you have the proper nano sim?

Ya its definitely in the right way!
    I had the same issue before, had to get the logicboard replaced. It just stopped reading all sims.

New imei after they replaced the logicboard too as its the brain of the phone so another unlock code will need to be bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

How does this compare to the oneplus X?

https://oneplus.net/x

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

Hitchens wrote: »
    Can you explain a bit more about the improved audio?
    Yes.

The phone has settings to enable a Dolby app hidden away that is revealed when you update the phone with the Turkish 5.1.1 Vodafone software. It is on the other roms but can't be activated for some reason (it can be found in settings but nothing can be done with it).

You'll have to put up with lots of bloat but it's worth it as even the sound from the headphones are improved.

Yes.

The phone has settings to enable a Dolby app hidden away that is revealed when you update the phone with the Turkish 5.1.1 Vodafone software. It is on the other roms but can't be activated for some reason (it can be found in settings but nothing can be done with it).

You'll have to put up with lots of bloat but it's worth it as even the sound from the headphones are improved.
    All that bloat can be removed. You can install the Dolby apk either on any rom. On the phone now but I found it on modaco.com before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,012 ✭✭✭Hitchens

the audio volume is not great on the VSU6, it's a pity because it's such a good phone otherwise (for the price)

I've tried plenty of those so-called sound boost apks and none of them are any good, no discernible sound volume gain at all, with any of them :(

• Advertisement

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Don't they use a different frequency in U.S & Canada than Europe so most phones from here won't work there and vice versa?
    vectra wrote: »
    Somewhere back along this thread a mamber pointed out these will not work in America.
    I yoo was recently in Toronto and could not use it.
    I did viber calls and messaging.
    FrostyJim wrote: »

thanks for the replies i finally got this sorted and im delighted as was close to getting a new phone as no fixes worked!
    my last shot was to go back to phoneshop and get them to try every provider they had to see what worked.
    turns out there is one called Fido that does! virgin mobile didnt at all and no others as far as im aware. so now ive calls and texts and only thing is my internet is barely working and very slow so ill get that checked another time im just relieved i get to use this phone! i also had to switch to 3g/2g instead of 4g as 4g didnt work!

Advertisement