Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Umpalumpa wrote: »
    Ye I had that done already,I did notice before that it would switch between 3 and O2 before it lost connection until inturned off and on again

Could be a problem with the phone/sim then not trying to revert back to the 3g network quick enough. I did read about something similar on here before. Not sure there's much you can do then

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

This phone un-locks so fricking easy. I'd say it'd nearly un-lock if ya had it in pocket or bag. Is there any way around that? And then it's difficult to un-lock the bloody thing when ya actually need to un-lock it to go to use it! Typical. :/

see how you get on with a free app from google play called pocket screen lock by golden pie devs - it should stop it turning on in bag or pocket by using the proximity sensors

personally wish they would have put volume switch on left of phone and the power switch up higher on the right/or top of phone or volume switch where it is and power switch on left top of phone

I wish all these manufactures would put the Ringer/speaker on the bottom edge of the phone and not on the back - stupidest design ever, when you have phone lying flat on surface it covers the speaker

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

Basil3 wrote: »
    Unlocking the bootloader would 'supposedly' void warranty in most cases, but there's no way sim unlocking would void warranty.

I know plenty of occasions where people have still had warranty repairs or replacements with unlocked bootloader/rooted devices. Not this particular device, but other androids in general.

Also, with Vodafone, you can request 2 sim unlocking codes a year through their website (something like that anyway). It's an automated process for most devices, and there's no chance doing this would affect warranty.

Thanks for the info, I found this posted by a member of the Vodafone staff in the Vodafone section here on Boards so I'll get it done that way:
    Vodafone wrote:
    If you have a friend or family member with Vodafone who meets the requirements and gives their permission, you can ask them to contact us with their details and your IMEI number and we'll put a request through. (Once a code is requested, it can take anywhere up to 10 working days to retrieve, depending on the handset you wish to unlock.)

A few more questions about this phone:

Can it be used as a USB storage device ?

Is it possible to turn off the shutter sound when taking pictures ?

• Advertisement

Alfie1 wrote: »
    A few more questions about this phone:
    Can it be used as a USB storage device ?
    Yes.

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,012 ✭✭✭Hitchens

if you use a third party app you can

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Yes.

No.

Hitchens wrote: »
    if you use a third party app you can

Thanks for the info.

Post 1000 :D

To celebrate I think I'll order the phone next week :pac:

.....Is it possible to turn off the shutter sound when taking pictures ?

Try out CameraFV5 Lite (free app limited) - or Camera FV5 (full app paid) and in setting menus you should be able to turn off shutter sound (if phone/firmware allows it) amongst a plethora of other 'SLR like' settings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭.red.

Shutter sound can be turned off in camera settings....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭.red.

.red. wrote: »

oh i didnt realise it was in the stock camera app either - cheers

.red. wrote: »

Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

I've got hold of a new meteor sim with a view to getting €20 off the price of this. It seems that you need to top up the meteor sim before its activated as such. Anyone know if I can use an unactivated sim to get the discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

I've almost bought this phone a few times, but can't help the feeling that I've missed the boat. The original post was in July last year, so surely it's likely that there's something around the corner that'll offer even better performance for a similar price, right?

Bawnmore wrote: »
    I've almost bought this phone a few times, but can't help the feeling that I've missed the boat. The original post was in July last year, so surely it's likely that there's something around the corner that'll offer even better performance for a similar price, right?

Based on the rumours, the new one will have a much better chip, not the equivalent of last year's one....so I'm expecting it to be more expensive. There may be another model in the same price bracket though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Umpalumpa wrote: »
    I keep getting emergency calls only.my sim card is in and I have to turn off and on just to get a reception,I'm with 3

Anyone have the same problem?

I am using a z3 compact and that is happening to me randomly with ID so possible your network is having issues too? If not the network having issues it may be the bands that are on the phone compared to your network?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭otterj

Can you take a picture using the sidebuttons? Also how do you get pictures to automatically save to the sd card rather than internal memory

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It's still a great phone, it doesn't really matter if a new one comes out in the next 6 months. I've had mine 6 months or so, and it's still great. I'll wait til I have it a year before I decide whether to move to something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

To be perfectly honest, I'm underwhelmed by this phone for 2 reasons:
    1: build quality isn't great. I've had screen issues and a bit of flex in the handset when using, and I'm not convinced the proximity sensor is working properly.
    2: The lack of custom roms - ZTE have locked the boot loader making it difficult for people to customise the phone, resulting in little to no interest being had in building the likes of CM/etc, which is a shame.

Having said that, for the price you pay you won't get better without going the China route...

dulpit wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest, I'm underwhelmed by this phone for 2 reasons:
    1: build quality isn't great. I've had screen issues and a bit of flex in the handset when using, and I'm not convinced the proximity sensor is working properly.
    2: The lack of custom roms - ZTE have locked the boot loader making it difficult for people to customise the phone, resulting in little to no interest being had in building the likes of CM/etc, which is a shame.

Having said that, for the price you pay you won't get better without going the China route...
    Wouldn't say I'm underwhelmed with the phone but I'm kind of getting bored of it. Would have liked to see a custom ROM to keep it fresh. Bar the build quality (cracks on both sides of casing at bottom) and the sheer size of this phone you can't fault it, battery is excellent and it doesn't seem to miss a beat but I get bored easily! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bigmick1

Phone keeps changing song while exercising, any idea how to stop this? Tried locking the phone to no avail

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

homer911 wrote:
    I've got hold of a new meteor sim with a view to getting €20 off the price of this. It seems that you need to top up the meteor sim before its activated as such. Anyone know if I can use an unactivated sim to get the discount?

As far as I know, they'll ring your number to make sure it's active & that you own it before they can port it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Anyone got a recent link to a reliable unlock source on eBay? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭robo

jgbyr wrote: »
    Anyone got a recent link to a reliable unlock source on eBay? Thanks.

I used this one back in the end of December http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vodafone-UK-only-Smart-Ultra-6-Unlock-Codes-16-Digit-codes-Vodafone-UK-/252106469826?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123
    No issues and quick enough. Used it twice and worked both times

robo wrote: »
    I used this one back in the end of December http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vodafone-UK-only-Smart-Ultra-6-Unlock-Codes-16-Digit-codes-Vodafone-UK-/252106469826?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123
    No issues and quick enough. Used it twice and worked both times

Thanks for that. It says it's for UK only though. Did you get the phones there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭robo

jgbyr wrote: »
    Thanks for that. It says it's for UK only though. Did you get the phones there?

Nope I got it here. Just see that now, it wasn't UK only before. Maybe send him a message as I got 2 codes for 2 Irish Vodafone Smart Ultra phones

robo wrote: »
    Nope I got it here. Just see that now, it wasn't UK only before. Maybe send him a message as I got 2 codes for 2 Irish Vodafone Smart Ultra phones

Will do. Thanks again for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mr170

Any sign of android marshmallow for the smart ultra 6

Advertisement