Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

Alfie1 wrote:
    Anyway quick question, the battery life was great for the first week, but over the last day or two since a shutdown, which is probably only a coincidence, I've noticed it being a bit more power hungry. I checked the battery monitor this morning & it had dropped about >25% in 8 hours, the email app had used 13% of that.

Have you updated the software to the latest release? Mine used to behave similar to yours but an update fixed it.

Also try disabling the email app and use another like Gmail and see if that helps if you are on latest firmware.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Alfie1 wrote: »
    I got a Smart Ultra 6 last week, liking it a lot so far, a big upgrade from my old Lumia 800 :D

Anyway quick question, the battery life was great for the first week, but over the last day or two since a shutdown, which is probably only a coincidence, I've noticed it being a bit more power hungry.
    I checked the battery monitor this morning & it had dropped about >25% in 8 hours, the email app had used 13% of that.

I clicked the "Force Stop" button to see if that would help but it seems to have stopped the email app from working properly, emails are waiting in the outbox to be sent, & the wheel keeps spinning when I request an update/refresh.
    A restart & shutdown hasn't helped & neither has clearing the cache (the warning about apps not functioning correctly doesn't appear unless you go into the app :o )

Any help appreciated.

Remove and readd the mailbox. Had the same issue before, if an email account fails to connect to the email server it keeps trying and causes serious battery drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

DanC90 wrote: »
    Have you updated the software to the latest release? Mine used to behave similar to yours but an update fixed it.

Also try disabling the email app and use another like Gmail and see if that helps if you are on latest firmware.
    Hope this helps.

I updated the software last week.

It was just my Yahoo mail which was affected, my other account is working fine on the app.

I've just tried using the Gmail app & that's working with my Yahoo mail.

Thanks.

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Remove and readd the mailbox. Had the same issue before, if an email account fails to connect to the email server it keeps trying and causes serious battery drain.

I'll try that now.

Thanks.

Everything back to normal now, I decided to use the email app for one account & the Gmail app for another though to keep them separate. If battery life isn't increased much I'll let it let that, if it is I'll use one app for both accounts.

Another question, I've an old Nokia Bluetooth headset (HS-56W) which allowed me to voice dial on my old phone, the SU6 doesn't work with it. Does the SU6 have this function, I'm guessing it's possibly a compatibility issue with the ancient headset & a new one will give me this function ?

• Advertisement

Alfie1 wrote:
    Another question, I've an old Nokia Bluetooth headset (HS-56W) which allowed me to voice dial on my old phone, the SU6 doesn't work with it. Does the SU6 have this function, I'm guessing it's possibly a compatibility issue with the ancient headset & a new one will give me this function ?

Do you mean you say a name into the headset and it dials that person? If so I think you have to use google search app for that by saying "ok google, call john doe" and it will the call that person. To make this feature easier I set up nicknames for contacts that have the same first name to avoid it calling the wrong person :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I seen in Vodafone store the new smart prime 7 so I guess the smart ultra 7 is very close now... The prime 7 is actually a lower spec snap 210 chipset compared to the prime 6's 410 setup...
    I wonder will they downgrade the ultra 7 also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

there wasn't a short time between the SP6 and the SU6 was there? Thought it was long enough.

Alfie1 wrote: »

Do you mean you say a name into the headset and it dials that person? If so I think you have to use google search app for that by saying "ok google, call john doe" and it will the call that person. To make this feature easier I set up nicknames for contacts that have the same first name to avoid it calling the wrong person :P

Yes, previously I could just press a button on the headset & say "Call John" & the phone would then dial, I could also send texts.

I was hoping I could do the same with this phone, I don't want to have to pick up the phone & unlock to use Google when driving ;)

Alfie1 wrote:
    I was hoping I could do the same with this phone, I don't want to have to pick up the phone & unlock to use Google when driving

Alfie1 wrote:
    Yes, previously I could just press a button on the headset & say "Call John" & the phone would then dial, I could also send texts.

Sorry I didn't clarify what I meant, when I have my Bluetooth headphones in I can press a button on the headphones that activates Google Search and then I say "Call John" or "Text John" and it will then call or text John, AFAIK you have to enable this in the search app settings but again I don't know if your headset will support it if it has an older version of Bluetooth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭.red.

Is there any way of blocking numbers from ringing/texting? Some clown keeps ringing and texting me at all hours. I could do it on all my old galaxies but cant find function for it on the SU6.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mcennis

Hey im trying to set up internet on the 48 network. I know there has been a few post on this thread already but they didn't work for me and any information on the 48 website isn't either.

I can send and recieve texts fine.
    Under available networks my phone defaults to O2-IRL

I have an APN set up:

APN settings are:- (without "")

APN: "48months.liffeytelecom.com"
    MCC: "272"
    MNC: "11"
    Authentication type: "PAP"
    APN type: "default,supl"

Sorry I didn't clarify what I meant, when I have my Bluetooth headphones in I can press a button on the headphones that activates Google Search and then I say "Call John" or "Text John" and it will then call or text John, AFAIK you have to enable this in the search app settings but again I don't know if your headset will support it if it has an older version of Bluetooth.

I've that enabled now on the phone but my it still won't work with my Bluetooth headset, I guess it's too old. I'll drop into a Vodafone store during the week & see what they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

My phone has habit lately of turning volume to about 25% by itself automatically . Anyone encounter this ? How fix please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Ash_

Amazon have reduced the price of black version to 99.99£
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013F8UJRM

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

sugarman wrote: »
    Having an issue since the last update that my phone won't switch from WiFi to mobile data when I go out of range automatically.

I'll be on WiFi and when I leave the house it normally switches over straight away, the last 2 weeks, every morning without fail, I have had to restart the phone.

The WiFi will switch off, the icon will disappear and the 4g icon will show up, along with an exclamation mark beside it.

Frustrating.

Is cyanogen any closer to being released for this phone?

Could it be worth doing a fresh install of the phone? Mine is running the latest update and does not have this issue, I've had niggles arise with mine which I eventually fixed when I just reset the device to factor settings. It's a pretty smooth process to get back to where you were before so long as you have a micro SD card for your data.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Its been a long long time since I've posted on this tread (I bought the ultra for my daughter last year)
    Now a colleague of mine wants to upgrade from her iPhone 4.
    She has a relatively good deal with Vodafone €30/month unlimited calls etc and if she upgrades they want her to move to a €55/month package for 24 months.
    So the ultra 6 (or maybe even prime) looks like a good choice (imo)
    Any other recommendations (or warnings)???
    Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

mcennis wrote: »
    Hey im trying to set up internet on the 48 network. I know there has been a few post on this thread already but they didn't work for me and any information on the 48 website isn't either.

I can send and recieve texts fine.
    Under available networks my phone defaults to O2-IRL

I have an APN set up:

APN settings are:- (without "")

APN: "48months.liffeytelecom.com"
    MCC: "272"
    MNC: "11"
    Authentication type: "PAP"
    APN type: "default,supl"

Worked fine for me in the past, using the info on the 48 website.

Just curious - does anyone know what liffeytelecom.com is, or what their role in setting up APNs is?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'd say the Prime isn't the best choice, the SU6 is still the one to go for if they are okay with the large size.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Bravobabe wrote: »
    Its been a long long time since I've posted on this tread (I bought the ultra for my daughter last year)
    She has a relatively good deal with Vodafone €30/month unlimited calls etc and if she upgrades they want her to move to a €55/month package for 24 months.
    Thanks

The ultra is till the pick of the bunch for me especially at the price and no long contract. The prime isnt great but then its only €90....

Could she hang on a couple of months? A lot of people expect the next version for the VSU6 to be announced soon...(although i think it will be longer)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 drarevel

Have a SU6, When I hit the power button nothing happens, if I plug in the charger and hit the power button the phone goes to start-up and displays 'Powered by Android' and reboots and continues to loop until I disconnect the charger.

Tried holding down the power button, power + volume down, power + volume up but the phone continues to loop. Just wondering if anyone has come across this before or if anyone has a solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

drarevel wrote:
    Tried holding down the power button, power + volume down, power + volume up but the phone continues to loop. Just wondering if anyone has come across this before or if anyone has a solution?

I held down the power button for 20 seconds, that fixed it for me and I've had this issue since

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

.red. wrote: »
    Is there any way of blocking numbers from ringing/texting? Some clown keeps ringing and texting me at all hours. I could do it on all my old galaxies but cant find function for it on the SU6.

i downloaded a good dialer app called true phone dialer & contacts by hamster beat on google play and you can block numbers in that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

[aside]
    Virgin Media mobile for €25 pm gives you
      unlimited minutes
      unlimited texts
      unlimited data

[url] https://www.virginmedia.ie/mobile/[/url]

Aside from phone, does the €55 plan give you similar deals - if not, then add that to the cost of the phone!
    [/aside]

• Registered Users Posts: 15,545 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Thanks

You mean she has an iphone 4 and wants tpo upgrade to an SU6, and by doing so VF want her to change her plan?
    Why not just buy an SU6 and put her sim card in it and sat on the €30 plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Hi guys,

I'm having some trouble with my phone. I cant make any calls, its saying no service and when i try ring someone it says my phone is in airplane mode but its not?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

lolli wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm having some trouble with my phone. I cant make any calls, its saying no service and when i try ring someone it says my phone is in airplane mode but its not?

Thanks

"have you tried turning on and off again"?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 15,545 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    "have you tried turning on and off again"?

Or even OFF and ON again :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

yup, have turned it off and on about ten times and took out the sim and put it back in.

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

lolli wrote: »
    yup, have turned it off and on about ten times and took out the sim and put it back in.

:confused:

Have you checked with your network? Could possibly be down

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement