Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I just discovered that the update changed my APN settings and I was subsequently charged for data when I should not have been. Vodafone hadn't a clue when I contacted them when I noticed the charge and just told me I was charged for 'tethering'. I explained that I do not tether and it was only then I realised I installed the update on the day I was charged.
    So,be careful and get on to Vodafone for a refund if necessary .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

I just discovered that the update changed my APN settings and I was subsequently charged for data when I should not have been. Vodafone hadn't a clue when I contacted them when I noticed the charge and just told me I was charged for 'tethering'. I explained that I do not tether and it was only then I realised I installed the update on the day I was charged.
    So,be careful and get on to Vodafone for a refund if necessary .

I unlocked phone and I'am with three, everything seems to be working the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I'm surprised to see this got updated to marshmallow. I had the Ultra 6 and it was one of the best phones I ever had. Sold it recently though.

I wonder will the Ultra 7 get nougat?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

Any idea what the disk space requirements are for the Marshmallow update?
    I'm short on space and am getting a negative figure in bytes!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Every time I try and go in to check software update I get a message saying unfortunately, setting has stopped. Anybody else getting this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

long_b wrote: »
    Any idea what the disk space requirements are for the Marshmallow update?
    I'm short on space and am getting a negative figure in bytes!

The download itself was 820mb, dunno how much it takes up when installed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

I found a really annoying game by going into settings, then about phone & then clicking on android version really quick a few times & finally clicking (long press) on the the round image that comes up on screen, works similar on another android phone I have aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

I updated my phone a few hours ago. As I had some of my apps saved to a SD card, they all disappeared. I couldn't get them to re appear. I ended up wiping the SD card. (The apps wouldn't reinstall from the app store).

Even now (despite just reinstalling them), some of of the apps keep crashing repeatedly, even the ones I haven't opened! (Especially castbox and Netflix).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Anyone know how to delete the hs.vodafone.ie apn permanently? Vodafone have removed it from my profile previously but it becomes active again. When I tether it switches from the live apn to the hs one, costing me money!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,969 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

My update to marshmallow took something like 5 hours, is that normal?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    My update to marshmallow took something like 5 hours, is that normal?

My download was painfully slow but the upgrade itself took less than an hour.
    Do you maybe have disk encryption turned on?

long_b wrote: »
    My download was painfully slow but the upgrade itself took less than an hour.
    Do you maybe have disk encryption turned on?

Yeah I meant update as in the entire process both downloading and installing.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Seems to be an error between nova launcher and marshmallow with regards animation.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

I installed the update this morning and now my standard home screen won't work anymore which means I can do almost nothing with my phone. Anyone else get this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭touts

Upgraded the phone. Seems OK in general BUT the phone won't play music/podcasts via the Aux cable in the car. Worked fine on commute in the morning. Upgraded to marshmallow during the day. When I sat into the car the phone won't recognise the Aux cable. It does detect and play over headphones without a problem. Tried a few headphones and they all work but a couple of Aux cables dont so I suspect it is a software issue. The little headphone icon appears on headphones but not on the Aux cable. Does Marshmallow change the way the phone detects the headphones which means Aux cables won't wotk? Has anyone else found this to be a problem? Anyone know of a solution?

Camera app won't open for me. Might have to download a new one.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

touts wrote: »
    Upgraded the phone. Seems OK in general BUT the phone won't play music/podcasts via the Aux cable in the car. Worked fine on commute in the morning. Upgraded to marshmallow during the day. When I sat into the car the phone won't recognise the Aux cable. It does detect and play over headphones without a problem. Tried a few headphones and they all work but a couple of Aux cables dont so I suspect it is a software issue. The little headphone icon appears on headphones but not on the Aux cable. Does Marshmallow change the way the phone detects the headphones which means Aux cables won't wotk? Has anyone else found this to be a problem? Anyone know of a solution?

YES! The same happened to me. Headphones are fine but AUX cable no longer works. I've been trying to get a solution, but no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 flipsky

touts wrote: »

Yes, same for me also. I use a headphone amp with the phone which now won't work. Tried a couple of other cables and external speakers but none work. Headphones direct in are the only things working ok.

Looked around online for solution but couldn't seem to find anyone who even had the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭.red.

For anyone who has gotten the update check your settings.
    Settings- more- mobile networks- access point names
    You should be using Vodafone live with the address "live.vodafone.com"
    If its got the address .hs then Vodafone thing your tethering and will wipe your credit.
    This happened me when I got the phone first and again when I got the update the other day.
    €25/30 gone each time in a day.

.red. wrote: »
    If its got the address .hs then Vodafone thing your tethering and will wipe your credit.
    This happened me when I got the phone first and again when I got the update the other day.

Yeah,same happened to me. I posted about it a few pages back. I contacted Vodafone who after some reluctance, refunded me. Don't let them fob you off. They should have notified users of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

Thanks mate. Just checked and was on hs. Cheers!

dedaw wrote: »
    Thanks mate. Just checked and was on hs. Cheers!

I asked Vodafone to disable the hs apn, but it keeps reactivating which is a pain. Can't delete it on this phone. They refunded me when I was charged also.

jgbyr wrote: »
    I asked Vodafone to disable the hs apn, but it keeps reactivating which is a pain. Can't delete it on this phone. They refunded me when I was charged also.

When it happened the last time they told me to delete the .hs but the phone wouldn't allow it.
    Ive deleted it now tho so hopefully it doesn't reappear!
    Got my money back before, I presume I will this time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Same thing happened to me with credit disappearing had a weeks credit left when I updated that went so I added another 20 yesterday and am now out of credit again.

dinorebel wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me with credit disappearing had a weeks credit left when I updated that went so I added another 20 yesterday and am now out of credit again.

I just got €21 back off them. Contact them on the boards site, look for my post and follow on from there. It probably happened a lot of people.

When it happened the last time they told me to delete the .hs but the phone wouldn't allow it.
    Ive deleted it now tho so hopefully it doesn't reappear!
    Got my money back before, I presume I will this time too.

How did you delete the hs apn. Can't seem to do it myself.

jgbyr wrote: »
    How did you delete the hs apn. Can't seem to do it myself.

Click on the APN and you'll see 3 dots on the top right hand corner. Click that and hit discard.
    I couldn't delete it on android 5 tho, when I hit discard nothing happened which seemed to confuse the Vodafone rep.

Click on the APN and you'll see 3 dots on the top right hand corner. Click that and hit discard.
    I couldn't delete it on android 5 tho, when I hit discard nothing happened which seemed to confuse the Vodafone rep.

Yea, I'm on 5 so can't delete & Vodafone can't seem to either. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭kyeev

Any consensus on whether to install the marshmallow upgrade?

Its supposed to improve battery performance with "doze" function.
    And allow users to custom choose App permissions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Didn't get the update automatically, but ran a manual "check for update", had to free up a ton of space, bout an 880mb download.

"Android is upgrading..."

"optimising apps 54 of 93" at the moment..

Should be grand though! Hopefully! Nice surprise though!

Advertisement