Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

kyeev wrote: »
    Any consensus on whether to install the marshmallow upgrade?

Its supposed to improve battery performance with "doze" function.
    And allow users to custom choose App permissions.

Seems like a few people on here have had issues with headphones and APN settings, doesn't look there's any other major complaints.

I updated two days ago and it seems to be fairly stable so far. Slight increase in battery performance alright, no negatives from what I can see on my side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Seems grand so far, changed APN settings immediately as I'm fairly sure I was stung with that twice since I got the phone! (once when I bought it, and the second time after the facebook update that broke it.) but both times Vodafone reimbursed the ate credit.

Will check the aux cable when I get to the car but I figure its fine.

Using Nova launcher all the time, so no glitches to note yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

How does if differentiate between headphones and aux cables? Is it 3 vs 2 connectors on the 3.5mm jack?

Can confirm it doesn't work with my aux cable but it's upgraded my Bluetooth and now my car radio displays full track info from Spotify something it didn't do before the update ☺.. I'm happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭airmech

I did the upgrade but my tethering keeps cutting out, im with three. Any clues?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭touts

long_b wrote: »
    How does if differentiate between headphones and aux cables? Is it 3 vs 2 connectors on the 3.5mm jack?

I've been looking into this and yes all the AUX cables I have are 2 ring and all the headphones are 3 ring (third ring for a mic apparently). I'm searching the net for a solution but haven't found one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,962 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Camera app won't open for me. Might have to download a new one.

It's working fine for me, and, the huge benefit of the upgrade is that now, the icon for the camera app is - wait for it - a camera - and not some blob that was there before.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

airmech wrote: »
    I did the upgrade but my tethering keeps cutting out, im with three. Any clues?

Now that you say it, I've noticed it's happening on mine too. Also with Three.

No idea why though.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Lazybones

One strange thing that happened when I upgraded was that some of my pictures ended up with a .tmp at the end of the file name and would not display. They were coming up as .jpg.tmp and would not display in the picture gallery. Has to go into each file manually and delete the .tmp then all was fine. Strange one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭.red.

Lazybones wrote: »
    One strange thing that happened when I upgraded was that some of my pictures ended up with a .tmp at the end of the file name and would not display. They were coming up as .jpg.tmp and would not display in the picture gallery. Has to go into each file manually and delete the .tmp then all was fine. Strange one.

I had 2 of each album up after the upgrade, I deleted one of each but noticed when I click on a pic it wouldn't open. There was only a few pics I actually wanted so just did a screen shot and cropped the image.
    I'll give your way a go tho

• Advertisement

This may have been mentioned here before, but I've recently got a 32gb SD which the phone recognizes.

Now I can't tell if it's my SD Card of a SU6 issue, but I'm unable to move apps to the SD card. I got the SD card from Amazon Warehouse...but it seems perfect.

It only lets me format it as portable storage for media and photos? I don't have the option to move any of my apps...so it's currently sitting there wasted as my photos are backed up to Google Photos & I've no real media with Spotify!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

My sd card has been ****ed for weeks now, can't write to it it seems, looks like all apps are moved back to the phone now, about all I can do is mount and unmount it.

kerryked wrote: »
    Now that you say it, I've noticed it's happening on mine too. Also with Three.

No idea why though.

Iv tried to use a few tethering apps but they also cut off after 15 minutes. Iv restarted the phone, nothing.

touts wrote: »
    I've been looking into this and yes all the AUX cables I have are 2 ring and all the headphones are 3 ring (third ring for a mic apparently). I'm searching the net for a solution but haven't found one yet.

OK. I eventually tracked down an aux cable with three rings (I think that means they have 4 contacts or something but let's just go with this type of connector has 3 black rings). And it works. It takes a couple of seconds to detect the cable and for the headphone symbol to appear but it does work. I got the cable in Tesco. €9.99. Other shops (carphone warehouse, DID Harvey Norman, Argos, local gadget shops) had Aux cables but they were two ring not three ring. Had almost given up when I found one in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

touts wrote: »
    OK. I eventually tracked down an aux cable with three rings (I think that means they have 4 contacts or something but let's just go with this type of connector has 3 black rings). And it works. It takes a couple of seconds to detect the cable and for the headphone symbol to appear but it does work. I got the cable in Tesco. €9.99. Other shops (carphone warehouse, DID Harvey Norman, Argos, local gadget shops) had Aux cables but they were two ring not three ring. Had almost given up when I found one in Tesco.
    Fair play to you touts. I'll pick one up In Tesco hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭PatM65

Downloaded and installed update (after spending ages trying to make space)

A load of my apps were still on my home screen but saying app not installed when I tried to open them. Downloaded the apps again and loads of them are either closing themselves or coming up "app has stopped"

Also noticed that a lot of my photo albums are now duplicated.

I now notice that like some others I can't save apps to my sd card which means I am almost out of space on my phone.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

What's the benefit of this update to Marshmallow. I know the notice mentions "essential improvements & enhancements" but in reality has anyone who has installed the update noticed any benefits ?

At the moment my phone is working fine & I'm thinking of letting it as it is, especially after reading about some of the issues mentioned above.

Alfie1 wrote: »
    What's the benefit of this update to Marshmallow. I know the notice mentions "essential improvements & enhancements" but in reality has anyone who has installed the update noticed any benefits ?

At the moment my phone is working fine & I'm thinking of letting it as it is, especially after reading about some of the issues mentioned above.

I wouldn't be in a mad rush to upgrade. I've noticed sometimes mine is a bit reluctant to wake up.

It'll always be there for you if you decide you want to later

Haven't noticed any benefit. There are some differences. The font seems slightly different. The folder of apps scrolls vertically rather than left to right. Some icons like the camera change. Other than that not much meaningfully noticeable. Some reviews say improved battery life but I haven't seen anything one way or the other. The old style 2 ring Aux cable not working was a big pain in the ass. I don't think you'll miss anything if you don't upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Any way of manually initialising the update?

Hotspot cutting out issue is annoying.
    I'm guessing it's to do with the battery optimisation settings. Anyone have an idea on which app needs to be changed?

Hotspot cutting out issue is annoying.
    I'm guessing it's to do with the battery optimisation settings. Anyone have an idea on which app needs to be changed?

Are you with three?

airmech wrote: »
    Are you with three?

No, Meteor. It's pretty much like clockwork

No, Meteor. It's pretty much like clockwork
    Ya mine goes off every 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Improved idle mode to increase battery life or something. I don't think it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,012 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Anyone managed to root yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 inishowen78

Hi folks, is there any way to uninstall the update? It took whatever credit I had left, won't recognise the music on my SD card and when I go into settings - apps and notifications I get an error message telling me "settings has stopped". On the plus side, my location services seem to be working properly now - it doesn't think I'm 3 miles away from home when I'm sitting on my couch now :P

Hi folks, is there any way to uninstall the update? It took whatever credit I had left, won't recognise the music on my SD card and when I go into settings - apps and notifications I get an error message telling me "settings has stopped". On the plus side, my location services seem to be working properly now - it doesn't think I'm 3 miles away from home when I'm sitting on my couch now :P

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102640471&postcount=4873

Hey there, see the post above. Lot of us had this issue, contact Vodafone and let them know the update change access point on your phone and ate your credit, they should refund you if you're lucky!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Shlippery wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102640471&postcount=4873

Hey there, see the post above. Lot of us had this issue, contact Vodafone and let them know the update change access point on your phone and ate your credit, they should refund you if you're lucky!

I'm on Vodafone bill pay. It's supposed to be 25 euro a month. They want 56 euro this time around! I'll be getting onto them.

Advertisement