Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Interesting hearing about your battery troubles. My SU6 is now over 2 years and I am still getting great all day battery out of mine. And it's a device I've used continuously for that time. A year ago or so I had to do a system reset to get the battery back on track as it had gotten bogged down. That being said, I am still running Android 5.1, and will not be upgrading to 6... security issues be damned!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,969 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The upgrade killed the Ultra 6, I've switched to a one plus 3T on 7.1 and the battery isn't much better.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Anyone replace their battery? I'm picking one up today from Parcelmotel. Looking forward to a full days charge again. And delighted to have found out that it COULD be replaced.

Does the battery change involve soldering components?

sealgaire wrote: »
    Does the battery change involve soldering components?

I found a few videos online and it actually looks very simple. No soldering, an easy to access connector is all that needs to be removed. The most difficult part seems to be prying open the case of the phone, but even this doesn't seem too bad. I would consider replacing my battery in the future tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Apologies,

I posted replies re videos but for some reason it didn't post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Hey all - my SU6 has just stopped taking charges. Has this happened to any of ye and if so did you get it fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

Does anyone know of any repair shops in Dublin that would have a look at the SU6? I've went into 2 who said they don't fix this phone. I'm having issues with the headphone jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

ciara1052 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any repair shops in Dublin that would have a look at the SU6? I've went into 2 who said they don't fix this phone. I'm having issues with the headphone jack.

I have the same problem with the headphone jack. Vodafone repaired it the first time. Now It's out of warranty.
    Same thing happened a previous phone. I just use bluetooth earphones now as I can't be arsed getting it fixed.
    I'll probably change phones soon anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

I have the same problem with the headphone jack. Vodafone repaired it the first time. Now It's out of warranty.
    Same thing happened a previous phone. I just use bluetooth earphones now as I can't be arsed getting it fixed.
    I'll probably change phones soon anyway

Exact same as me! Out of warrenty this time round :/ I actually got Bluetooth headphones as a work around but they were so bad, the quality was awful...I presumed I'd need to fork out on an expensive pair if I wanted ones that were even half decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭.red.

Exact same as me! Out of warrenty this time round :/ I actually got Bluetooth headphones as a work around but they were so bad, the quality was awful...I presumed I'd need to fork out on an expensive pair if I wanted ones that were even half decent.

You can buy Bluetooth adaptors on eBay or amazon, they range from €10-€50. Might be worth it if there's still life in the phone and you already have a quality set of headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Yeah. I spent a fair bit on these but they're pretty good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brainwavz-BLU-100-Sport-Bluetooth-Headphones-Black/dp/B00YDVY34Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1505934388&sr=8-1&keywords=brainwavz+blu100

I always have problems earphone jacks, either phones or mp3 players etc. They always break on me!
    Bluetooth has eliminated that and I reckon manufacturers will follow Apple and get rid of the earphone jack on phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

kerryked wrote: »
    Looking to replace the battery in mine. Where did you buy the battery from? Let us know how the replacement goes

My battery is gone to pot, phone working perfect other than that, don't want to get rid of it but I'm going to have to do something soon if the battery keeps up this crack

Same. Was fine until a few days ago, but is only lasting a couple of hours now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

My Smart Ultra 6 is now my spare phone - got a Moto G5. Lovely phone with a fingerprint scanner and screen is 5" so easier to put in your pocket.

The Su6 isn't bad, but it's a brick with rubbish battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Same. Was fine until a few days ago, but is only lasting a couple of hours now.

Haven't replaced my battery yet. Tried to, but was in a rush and came across two screws and wasn't sure which to open to access. So put it back together again.

Incidentally, I used a watch opening prising tool until I realised I wasn't popping anything, rather running a tool along under the cover in order to pop the catches. So I had scratched the bezel. So make sure to use a plastic loyalty card or a guitar pick etc. Not metal ! :o:o

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Haven't replaced my battery yet. Tried to, but was in a rush and came across two screws and wasn't sure which to open to access. So put it back together again.

Incidentally, I used a watch opening prising tool until I realised I wasn't popping anything, rather running a tool along under the cover in order to pop the catches. So I had scratched the bezel. So make sure to use a plastic loyalty card or a guitar pick etc. Not metal ! :o:o

Battery hasn't arrived yet but thanks for the tip.

I think Bluetooth is broken now too so might be time to move on. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cleryfamily

Devastated I managed to loose my SU6 last week in Spain. considered replacing it with an SU7 in Vodafone Tallage ((€160) but the specs are not as good as my old SU6. Does anybody know where I could buy a new SU6 as Vodafone have no stock??? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated :-)

Devastated I managed to loose my SU6 last week in Spain. considered replacing it with an SU7 in Vodafone Tallage ((€160) but the specs are not as good as my old SU6. Does anybody know where I could buy a new SU6 as Vodafone have no stock??? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated :-)

The SU7 is not a worse phone... at least not as far as I can remember! Reasonable processor and RAM, with the same storage. It's just not much of an upgrade to the SU6 which is why people were against it when it came out over a year ago.

There is a Smart V8 out now, but it is a decent bit higher in price (249). It is the natural successor to the SU6/7. I would think that buying a SU6 now would be a poor move, it is a good device, but it is old now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cleryfamily

The SU7 is not a worse phone... at least not as far as I can remember! Reasonable processor and RAM, with the same storage. It's just not much of an upgrade to the SU6 which is why people were against it when it came out over a year ago.

There is a Smart V8 out now, but it is a decent bit higher in price (249). It is the natural successor to the SU6/7. I would think that buying a SU6 now would be a poor move, it is a good device, but it is old now.

Thanks for the advise you saved me from making a mistake by buying the SU7 !!! I have since found a new SU6 on ebay for €120 and hopefully it will arrive shortly :-) In time hopefully I will stretch to buying a Smart V8

Just replaced my battery. Took about 20 minutes. The back cover is very brittle and may break around the USB port and card slots (if it isn't broken already). Three screws to remove a plate and then pop the battery connector out. The battery itself is glued in so needs to be carefully and slowly prised out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Just replaced my battery. Took about 20 minutes. The back cover is very brittle and may break around the USB port and card slots (if it isn't broken already). Three screws to remove a plate and then pop the battery connector out. The battery itself is glued in so needs to be carefully and slowly prised out.

Mine broke the fist day when I was putting in the micro sim.
    Then the top left of the back broke off.
    Had to buy a cheap case off Ali Express to hold it all together, which did the trick but only added to the bulk. For example I can't bend down to tie my laces when it's in my jeans pocket.

It's a pretty badly designed phone let truth be told. I'm loving my Moto G5. The slightly less 5" screen makes a huge difference and it's much thinner anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,959 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Have any SU6 owners upgraded to the Smart 8? Would be interested to hear experiences on this.

Just did a full reset on mine and the hs.vodafone APN is now gone. Oooh noo. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Asus X540L wrote: »
    My Smart Ultra 6 is now my spare phone - got a Moto G5. Lovely phone with a fingerprint scanner and screen is 5" so easier to put in your pocket.

The Su6 isn't bad, but it's a brick with rubbish battery life.

How is battery life on the Moto g5? Thinking of upgrading myself, should i go for the plus?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭touts

zweton wrote: »
    How is battery life on the Moto g5? Thinking of upgrading myself, should i go for the plus?

I got the basic G5 to replace the Ultra 6. Battery life is average. On a heavy day of usage I'll be lucky to get to the end of the day but I've foud that with every phone. Once it has been on for a couple of weeks it can be a little sluggish and then crash and reboot so if I had my time back I'd have gone for the version with higher RAM and memory. The reboot issue was happening a lot (every day) after I initially got it and I was considering bringing it back but I googled it and found that it is a common problem if you use the Google system to install all your apps etc on a new phone. Some settings don't get updated correctly for some apps and that causes it to crash. I did a factory reset and then istalled the apps one at a time and that solved the daily crash issue. I found the screen small compared to the Smart Ultra 6 but got used to it after a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

Not sure if its allowed on here but i've got a vodafone smart ultra 7 screen in smashed and touch is broke. I mistakenly bought this http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Replacement-Touch-Screen-Digitizer-For-VODAFONE-SMART-ULTRA-7-VDF700-5-5/292023729755?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649.

Proper replacement screen can be bought for 30£ online. I'll throw in the above screen and blue gel case with the phone for €20 if anyone wants it.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭kevin306

Question for anyone that replaced their battery. Now when I try and charge the phone the notification light doesn't illuminate and the battery icon on phone is jumping in and out of charge. Anyone and idea of what this may be? The phone is still charging albeit slower than before.

Has anyone factory reset their SU6? After a reset WiFi, Bluetooth and camera won't work. WiFi works briefly after the reset but stops. Camera says
    Unable to connect to camera. Camera has been disabled because of security policies or is being used by another app.

Mine is from UK, if that makes any difference... Not sure how to switch to IE ROM>

Lads I got the brother a SU6 about a year and a half ago. Just looking now at maybe rooting it and putting a better ROM (LineageOS) on it. I've Googled but is there a method of rooting? He still has it on 5.1.1 so I'm not sure to update or not!

Thanks for any help!

• Advertisement

Lads I got the brother a SU6 about a year and a half ago. Just looking now at maybe rooting it and putting a better ROM (LineageOS) on it. I've Googled but is there a method of rooting? He still has it on 5.1.1 so I'm not sure to update or not!

Thanks for any help!

Still on 5.1.1 here too. I wouldn't update, it brings nothing and it seems to have killed the battery performance for others. I'm just basing this on what others have said here. Obviously it means you're no longer up to date with security updates, which is a bit of a concern. But I'll take my chances.

Not too sure about rooting...

Advertisement