Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭NegativeOne

Phone has been off charge for 12 hours now and still have 51% battery left. That's what I like to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Just an all round great phone for 170 quid. Phone is very snappy and quick, camera is very good from what I've used.

Ordered the unlock code about 30 minutes ago, had dinner and went back to my phone to see I had been sent the phone. Shame I've to wait till Monday to unlock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Can I get this unlocked before I swap onto a nano sim or does it need to have a non vodafone nano sim in it to unlock it?

Also when the seller asks for current network does he mean my own network or Vodafone, the network the phone is locked to?

Cheers!

To unlock you need to to put in a sim that's not vodafone.
    He means the network its locked to, so its Vodafone ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Galway K9 wrote: »
    To unlock you need to to put in a sim that's not vodafone.
    He means the network its locked to, so its Vodafone ireland

Ya I figured it out! Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,969 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lads when ye switch the phone on silent, does interruptions switch on automatically?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭lansing

I notice my storage says Total Space 11.16GB. Is the operating system really using almost 5GB? Not expecting it to be 16GB but 11GB seems a little low. Anyone else notice this?

lansing wrote: »
    I notice my storage says Total Space 11.16GB. Is the operating system really using almost 5GB? Not expecting it to be 16GB but 11GB seems a little low. Anyone else notice this?

Yeah that's fairly standard

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Liquidus

If I bought this phone in Vodafone Czech it would be risky because the unlock codes on eBay or for UK and Ireland Vodafone is this correct? Well I prefer the white version that will be released soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Liquidus wrote: »
    If I bought this phone in Vodafone Czech it would be risky because the unlock codes on eBay or for UK and Ireland Vodafone is this correct? Well I prefer the white version that will be released soon.

Its not just Ireland and UK codes ad states Worldwide (whether Czech is included? - send the seller an enquiry to be certain, but it looks like it will be provided)

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/291500548350?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

Sorry if it has been asked earlier but is it possible to get rid of the Google toolbar across the top of each page? Annoying waste of space, IMHO...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

lansing wrote: »

16gb formatted is closer to 15 gb so the OS is approximately 4gb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Sorry if it has been asked earlier but is it possible to get rid of the Google toolbar across the top of each page? Annoying waste of space, IMHO...

press & hold it, then remove it

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ExcaliburRisen

Picked one up in Vodafone Stillorgan yesterday. Sales assistant said it is very popular at the moment. :-)
    Took about 1 hour to receive my unlock code from the Ebay link in the OP which worked perfectly.
    Also picked up a 3 nano sim which took a couple of hours to activate.

Only issue I've had with the smart ultra 6 so far was popping out the sd card tray. Using the supplied tool it just would not pop out the tray. I was almost at the stage of bringing it back to vodafone and asking them to check if it was faulty which might have been awkward as I had unlocked it already. I decided to give it one more try this morning and somehow got the tool to push the release button and the tray popped out.

Now to find a decent case and screen protector.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

Word of warning on cases from AliExpress.

I received a case yesterday that was definitely listed as being for the equivalent ZTE phone, however, what arrived is for a much smaller phone.

This happened me before with my last phone. Ordered a case that was listed as compatible with my phone but turned out to be for an iPhone 6 and wouldn't fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

fdevine wrote: »
    Word of warning on cases from AliExpress.

I received a case yesterday that was definitely listed as being for the equivalent ZTE phone, however, what arrived is for a much smaller phone.

This happened me before with my last phone. Ordered a case that was listed as compatible with my phone but turned out to be for an iPhone 6 and wouldn't fit.

There is no exact physical equivalent to this phone. Both the ZTE Blade S6 Plus and S6 Lux have different physical dimensions and different placements of camera, flash, sockets and microphones, regardless of equivalent or similar innards.

Bravobabe wrote: »
    Thanks for replies

This or similar link was posted earlier in the tread (thanks)
    http://www.devicespecifications.com/en/comparison/fc733963f .

Sorry to hear that

See Link for dimensions: http://www.devicespecifications.com/en/comparison/fc733963f

It shows small differences in the dimensions between the iPhone, ZTE S6 plus and the Smart Ultra 6.

The ZTE still looks closest in dimension, the iPhone is 4mm longer (according to specs) - Just have to try and see
    Presuming the specs are correct the ZTE S6 Plus, looks the closest to the Ultra, but as pointed out the buttons & speaker are in different locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Doesn't appear to remove on mine, press and hold doesn't drag it off screen. I think your stuck with it.

What do you mean by Google toolbar?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

What do you mean by Google toolbar?

the google search bar.

Install Nova launcher, you can remove it using that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Picked one up in Vodafone Stillorgan yesterday. Sales assistant said it is very popular at the moment. :-)
    Took about 1 hour to receive my unlock code from the Ebay link in the OP which worked perfectly.
    Also picked up a 3 nano sim which took a couple of hours to activate.

Only issue I've had with the smart ultra 6 so far was popping out the sd card tray. Using the supplied tool it just would not pop out the tray. I was almost at the stage of bringing it back to vodafone and asking them to check if it was faulty which might have been awkward as I had unlocked it already. I decided to give it one more try this morning and somehow got the tool to push the release button and the tray popped out.

Now to find a decent case and screen protector.

Would a needle from a pack of various sizes not do it? I have a 1 euro pack of about 10 needles. Haven't bought Ultra yet but plan to.

• Advertisement

the google search bar.

Install Nova launcher, you can remove it using that.

Ah you should be able to remove that with a different launcher.

What launcher are people using? I've been using the Google launcher for a while now but thinking of going back to Nova/Aviate.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Would a needle from a pack of various sizes not do it? I have a 1 euro pack of about 10 needles. Haven't bought Ultra yet but plan to.

I had to bring mine back to store to open sd compartment. I opened simcard easily. The guy opened it immediately with iphone thingy. A needle would go further into the phone, potentially damaging it.

I use Nova.

What's Aviate like?

I use Nova.

What's Aviate like?

Found Aviate very different at first but liked it in the end. Not much customisation with it though. But it makes apps easy to find. Definitely recommend it for people who have apps all over the place.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

I removed it and haven't changed the launcher or rooted the phone. I think I just disabled Google Search in App settings and it disappeared.

Found Aviate very different at first but liked it in the end. Not much customisation with it though. But it makes apps easy to find. Definitely recommend it for people who have apps all over the place.

My OPO and now this are set up almost identically with Nova.

Had a look at the Aviate one - Yahoo annoy me a lot, so I won't be installing that one

sweetie wrote: »
    I had to bring mine back to store to open sd compartment. I opened simcard easily. The guy opened it immediately with iphone thingy. A needle would go further into the phone, potentially damaging it.

I know I brought up this "issue", but its not really a major problem and folks should not be put off the phone because of this. As I said previously, my wife recently got an HTC M9 and putting in her sim was also a little challenging.

It could be that the "tool" provided in the box is too flat.
    When you buy the phone ask VF for a free sim (or a blank sim to port your old number over too) and see will they give you a sim extraction pin.
    In the past I have used a "paper clip" and it worked well
    or
    the casing may be a very tight fit and hence the difficulty (bear in mind we are all worried about damaging the phone and probably are being very gentle)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

Both my sim tray and SD slots came out first time whilst using the tool provided in box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

corwill wrote: »
    There is no exact physical equivalent to this phone. Both the ZTE Blade S6 Plus and S6 Lux have different physical dimensions and different placements of camera, flash, sockets and microphones, regardless of equivalent or similar innards.

Hadn't noticed the difference in button, speaker etc. placement but what I meant was the somewhat generic case I purchased was physically too small to accommodate the phone regardless of ports etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭mikekerry

when I go into \settings and security it just crashes out.
    Anyone know how I can reinstall the firmware?

Advertisement