Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Why do you want to close them?

are they not taking up ram? if i never closed them could have 1000 or whatever open eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

are they not taking up ram? if i never closed them could have 1000 or whatever open eventually.

Nah, Android doesn't work like that. Does more harm killing background apps AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Actually the Smart Ultra 6 seems streets ahead of the rest for the price.The 3rd Gen Moto G 16g (cant find a price for the 16gb version) and the Xperia M4 Aqua (£210) have the same kinda specs but a smaller screen (which i actually prefer). So ya Ultra 6 is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

I have a htc one x, 2 and a half years old and basically ceasing to function on almost every level. (great as a web browser as long as it's plugged in.)

I love the look of this, but I am just wondering about it's built in storage.
    My One X has 32 gb built in and no sd card slot.
    But of the 32gb 6.76gb is all that was ever available for apps 25.24gb available for everything else.
    (maybe i have been doing something wrong for the past 2 and a half years).

The ultra 6 only has 16gb built in and capacity for a micro sd, but is there any odd partitioning going on in it's 16gb, how much is available for apps?

(I heard somewhere that under androidM there would be some way to merge built in memory and sd memory, but I have no idea if this is correct or even if this phone will get the M upgrade)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

eldamo wrote: »
    I have a htc one x, 2 and a half years old and basically ceasing to function on almost every level. (great as a web browser as long as it's plugged in.)

I love the look of this, but I am just wondering about it's built in storage.
    My One X has 32 gb built in and no sd card slot.
    But of the 32gb 6.76gb is all that was ever available for apps 25.24gb available for everything else.
    (maybe i have been doing something wrong for the past 2 and a half years).

The ultra 6 only has 16gb built in and capacity for a micro sd, but is there any odd partitioning going on in it's 16gb, how much is available for apps?

(I heard somewhere that under androidM there would be some way to merge built in memory and sd memory, but I have no idea if this is correct or even if this phone will get the M upgrade)

isnt the 2GB RAM set aside for installing apps on this phone? - I thought it was - when i think back not to long ago I used to use an android phone with only 500mb RAM and never used it it , actually tell a lie I did once, I was trying to download an app and it said there was no space left to download the app, so I just uninstalled another app I wasnt using. - It should (hopefully) be a pretty long time til I get this message on the VSU6 I would think/hope

• Advertisement

Have mine 3 weeks and very happy with it, no malfunctions so far. Not a big deal but if you have a lot of windows open is it possible to close all at once instead of one at a time by hitting x on the top right (after pressing the square button at bottom right)? Sometimes I have about 50 open takes a while to close them all indivdually.

I have rooted mine and loaded xposed recovery with GravityBox(LP) and there is a feature I have enabled in it to close all recent apps in one go by pressing on icon. - maybe one of the task killer apps on play store will do same thing on a n0n-rooted phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I have rooted mine and loaded xposed recovery with GravityBox(LP) and there is a feature I have enabled in it to close all recent apps in one go by pressing on icon. - maybe one of the task killer apps on play store will do same thing on a n0n-rooted phone?

Did you not notice a massive slowdown after installing xposed?

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Did you not notice a massive slowdown after installing xposed?

do you know I did find it was laggy'er and then i thought no i cant see xposed doing that. but it must be that then.

I have just downloaded cpustats from play just for the crack and it reports 4cores - this phone has 8cores hasnt it? maybe the developers have to update the app. in any case core1 seems to be active, maybe the others kick in when needed. i might download cpu tuner next and set the min cpu to 800mhz as opposed to 200mhz min, just to see if that helps with laggyness - it most probably affect battery usage but the battery lasts a real long time anyways on this phone it feels

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I went from an iPhone 4s, to this. Big difference in size to get used to, but that was the biggest hurdle. Fantastic phone for the price!!!

I work in an IT company and I've had people come up to me wanting to have a look... :)

hey if you just bought your Vodafone smart ultra 6 you know already how zippy it is - want it that little bit zippier without rooting but at the expense of loosing 'pretty' animations between screens and when you start up an app? - if you do then go into your settings and select 'developer mode' (by default when you first get your phone brand new 'developer mode' will not show in the settings. Want to make it show? - if so, go into 'about phone' in settings, click on 'build number' (i think about 4 or 5 times) then press back button and you will see 'developer options' magically has appeared in the settings menu! - click on it and scroll down to 'window animation scale' and set to .25x or off. then press back button and select 'transition animation scale' and select .25x or off,. then go back and select 'animator duration scale' and select .25x or animation off - go back and then home screen, use phone and find the phone in use even faster than it was!

There are a lot of other settings in 'Developer Options' but unless you know what the settings mean I would advise leave them alone ... hower there is a USB debug mode setting and sometimes if you use a PC Suite software on your PC you may have to select USB Debugging and definitely if you are rooting you will need USB debugging ticked. - There is also a setting in Developer that allows the screen to be on permanently when USB is plugged in . - Have Fun! :)

• Advertisement

If people like the sound of this phone and the price but find it might be too big for their pocket I want to tell you about a phone my wife bought - she moved up from a i-phone 4s and she is loving this new phone she got and the speed and the quality of camera results and how long the battery lasts.

Now first of all its called a Doogee Y100 Pro (stop sniggering!) and it is a china phone (same as VFSU6 thats a ZTE phone) and she got it online from [that will not be named] - now the good thing about this is that it comes from their Europe Website (so no customs charge or getting caught up in customs) and its Unlocked to all networks and is smaller size to the vodafone ultra 6 at a fantastic price of only €107euro!! Here are some differences I have listed :

Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 - Doogee Y100 Pro

Screen 5.5" - 5.0" HD
    Locked - Unlocked
    2GB RAM - 2GB RAM
    Battery 3000mah - 2500mah (i think) Removable
    Notification Light - No Notification Light
    Android Lollipop - Android Lollipop
    Rear Camera 13mp - 13mp (8mp real) Sony Camera
    Front Camera 5mp - 8mp Front camera
    8Core 1.5mhz - 4core 1.0mhz MTK
    4G - 4G

Link: Snipped

EDIT: - sorry, only just read after posting this that [shall not be named] is frowned upon on Boards so if you want to remove the post feel free to do that Moderator

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Eh, are you mixing up storage and RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ralphie

If people like the sound of this phone and the price but find it might be too big for their pocket I want to tell you about a phone my wife bought - she moved up from a i-phone 4s and she is loving this new phone she got and the speed and the quality of camera results and how long the battery lasts.

Now first of all its called a Doogee Y100 Pro (stop sniggering!) and it is a china phone (same as VFSU6 thats a ZTE phone) and she got it online from - now the good thing about this is that it comes from their Europe Website (so no customs charge or getting caught up in customs) and its Unlocked to all networks and is smaller size to the vodafone ultra 6 at a fantastic price of only €107euro!! Here are some differences I have listed :

Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 - Doogee Y100 Pro

Screen 5.5" - 5.0" HD
    Locked - Unlocked
    2GB RAM - 2GB RAM
    Battery 3000mah - 2500mah (i think) Removable
    Notification Light - No Notification Light
    Android Lollipop - Android Lollipop
    Rear Camera 13mp - 13mp (8mp real) Sony Camera
    Front Camera 5mp - 8mp Front camera
    8Core 1.5mhz - 4core 1.0mhz MTK
    4G - 4G

I would like to get a phone with similar specs but with a 4 inch screen.Anything any bigger is just too big for me.

sweetie wrote: »
    Eh, are you mixing up storage and RAM.

Maybe - dont apps run from RAM memory ?

ralphie wrote: »
    I would like to get a phone with similar specs but with a 4 inch screen.Anything any bigger is just too big for me.

Might be pretty difficult (especially in Europe) getting all those features in a 4" screen because my wife was asking if she could have a good camera in a 4" screen phone for cheap and I couldnt find one anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DOC40

Sounds good. How long did delivery take for this phone and did you get a cover to suit from them too?

DOC40 wrote: »
    Sounds good. How long did delivery take for this phone and did you get a cover to suit from them too?

Well, it didnt take too long. It came from their London warehouse. Now there was a delay. I ordered through Parcel Motel thinking I would get it quicker wheras in fact there was a mix up and I dont know whether it was with UK Royal Mail or Parcel Motel (RM I reckon) but it was delivered to the wrong PM address and because it was a weekend it delayed the phone for me 1-2 days later than expected. Still a lot quicker than if it came from China though.

They supply a back protective case in the box plus a screen protector and they do have cases on their site for it but I didnt order case at the same time - but my wife is after ordering a case for it off ebay uk £4 I think it was, its one of those side flip ones where you can store credit cards in the opening.

I see now on GearBest they have the Meizu M2 Note in their European Warehouse for €142euro - its big but Id love that - its still 199euro from Pixmania.ie and plus 13euro delivery - had they had them in stock in the euro warehouse before I got my Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 I might have taken a punt on the M2 note, but they only had stock in China at that time.

EDIT: oh by the way - stuff posted from EU warehouse from gearbest is I think 6euro to Ireland. - i used parcel Motel, so it was free delivery to Northern Ireland and I just paid €3.99 for delivery for parcel motel - every little helps :-)

Maybe - dont apps run from RAM memory ?

Ram is for when the apps are open and running, it has to be saved on the main phone memory first though.

If you have the phone to hand and go to settings and then to storage it should break it down for you.

Mine has headline 'app storage' and under that a bar showing 6.26gb of 6.76gb used.

Further down the page it has 'phone storage' with another bar showing 3.5gb of 25.64gb used.

Do you see anything like this?

Ram is for when the apps are open and running, it has to be saved on the main phone memory first though.

If you have the phone to hand and go to settings and then to storage it should break it down for you.

Mine has headline 'app storage' and under that a bar showing 6.26gb of 6.76gb used.

Further down the page it has 'phone storage' with another bar showing 3.5gb of 25.64gb used.

Do you see anything like this?

The below review says 11gb free at the start which would be plenty if anyone can confirm.
    http://thestar.ie/tech-vodafone-smart-ultra-6-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

The below review says 11gb free at the start which would be plenty if anyone can confirm.
    http://thestar.ie/tech-vodafone-smart-ultra-6-review/

11.16gb on my mine.

• Advertisement

corwill wrote: »
    11.16gb on my mine.

Cheers. May take the plunge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 emcg1

Cyberghost I had the same problem on my VFSU6 when trying to download an app to sd card, the flashing half line at top of the screen I had to restart the phone. Some of my apps wont move to sd card, sometimes cannot download music or video to sd and then i get the flashing half line at top of screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭unreg999

CyberGhost wrote:
    I made a video as a proof to show that the phone crashes.

CyberGhost wrote:
    The original video is 15 minutes long, but here's a clip where the phone crashed,

CyberGhost wrote:
    Does this happen to you guys?

Just saw your video & something like that happened to me the other day.. Just once!!
    I was using the fone and my daughter called me so I put it down for minute, when I came back it was stuck on a screen, I can't remember which one, but it definitely had the half line going across the top & flashing like yours!!
    It was stuck for a while but eventually I did a reset...
    I didn't think it had rebooted as I wasn't looking at it for the whole process but now I'm wondering...
    Sheeeeeeet that's not good.... I thought it was just a one off glitch but now seeing it happened to you a few times a day I'm getting worried....!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Well, it didnt take too long. It came from their London warehouse. Now there was a delay. I ordered through Parcel Motel thinking I would get it quicker wheras in fact there was a mix up and I dont know whether it was with UK Royal Mail or Parcel Motel (RM I reckon) but it was delivered to the wrong PM address and because it was a weekend it delayed the phone for me 1-2 days later than expected. Still a lot quicker than if it came from China though.

They supply a back protective case in the box plus a screen protector and they do have cases on their site for it but I didnt order case at the same time - but my wife is after ordering a case for it off ebay uk £4 I think it was, its one of those side flip ones where you can store credit cards in the opening.

I see now on GearBest they have the Meizu M2 Note in their European Warehouse for €142euro - its big but Id love that - its still 199euro from Pixmania.ie and plus 13euro delivery - had they had them in stock in the euro warehouse before I got my Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 I might have taken a punt on the M2 note, but they only had stock in China at that time.

EDIT: oh by the way - stuff posted from EU warehouse from gearbest is I think 6euro to Ireland. - i used parcel Motel, so it was free delivery to Northern Ireland and I just paid €3.99 for delivery for parcel motel - every little helps :-)

If you buy the Meizu can you give a review, I might go for it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭unreg999

Hey Andy, sounds like a really good fone for the price, I'm just wondering about the speaker quality as I listen to a lot of audio books...?
    Also I saw that the battery is actually 1800mhz rather than 2500...How does your wife find the battery? Would you day she's a heavy or light user?
    Thanks! 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

Apologies if I'm veering off topic but ...

The 5" Meizu M2 (NOT the Note version) also has pretty good specs for about €120 if you shop around on the usual "China phone" sites.

http://www.meizu.com/en/products/m2/features.html

I've been happily using my Coolpad F1 8297W for most of this year and it's a great phone but only for those who are comfortable with rooting, installing custom recovery/ROMs etc. You can get that for about €120 these days too (it must be the 8297W and not the 8297 for use in this part of the world!).

http://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/630a2b5c

And the Lenovo K3 Note is another nicely spec'd phone for about €140.

http://www.gsmarena.com/lenovo_k3_note-7147.php

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

I was looking at the K3 Note before I bought the Ultra 6. Couldn't find it anywhere for ~€140. It was near €200 if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

GvidoR wrote: »
    I was looking at the K3 Note before I bought the Ultra 6. Couldn't find it anywhere for ~€140. It was near €200 if I remember correctly.

http://www.to2c.com/lenovo-k3-note-2g-ram-16g-rom.html
    ~€145

http://www.tinydeal.com/lenovo-k3-note-55-fhd-mtk6752-octa-core-android-50-4g-lte-phone-p-151133.html
    ~€150

http://www.minideal.net/lenovo-k3-note-android-5-0-2gb-16gb-4g-lte-5-5-inch-fhd-screen-mtk6752-1-7ghz-octa-core-smartphone.html
    ~€145

http://www.dx.com/p/lenovo-k3-note-android-5-0-mtk6752-octa-core-4g-phone-w-5-5-fhd-2gb-ram-16gb-rom-13-0-5-0mp-yellow-381335
    ~€143

(I bought one for a friend from to2c and had no problems. Please do your own research on these and other sellers before making a purchase :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭deadlast

Everyone that rings me is saying they can hear an echo of their own voice, it's fine on my end. Anyone else have this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

TM wrote: »
    (I bought one for a friend from to2c and had no problems. Please do your own research on these and other sellers before making a purchase :-)

I buy only from xiaomiforsale.com and had nothing but positive dealings with them. Items are shipped from EU (Czech Republic to be precise), so you don't risk additional custom charges. Shipment via GLS is more than reasonable (€10 to Ireland).

Advertisement