Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

To be honest I think the factory setup is spot on.
    Centre light pulsating to a notification makes more sense to me but nice to see that you could custom set the LEDs to do otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

To be honest I think the factory setup is spot on.
    Centre light pulsating to a notification makes more sense to me but nice to see that you could custom set the LEDs to do otherwise.

just my personal preference, I didnt mind the way it was but I like fiddling with stuff :)

In an ideal world I would like - pulse slowly whilst charging and static when charged

Then for the notification I would like the 3 led's to flash really fast, but in GravityBox it gives the facility to make all 3 led's to pulse but you cant say set it to flash so many milliseconds rather than just on pulse per second .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

handofdog wrote: »
    I would take all that off your hands if Experience_Day (first in) doesn't want it.

Sweet! Can you pick it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pizzle

Got this phone on Friday and have been really happy with it so far. No problem unlocking it using the link in the OP's post. Got my code in about 20 minutes.

Upgraded from a Moto G 4G and this is a pleasure to use in comparison. Beautiful screen, very responsive. Only thing I need to get used to is the screen size!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

I'm sure you'll get used to it quick. I came from a bit smaller screen than that and took only a couple of days for me.

• Advertisement

Has anyone found/bought a good arm holder for using this phone while running?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

I don't know if it's good or not but here's one: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/361357130868

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

Can i turn off the LED when its charging ? Its like the bat signal ! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

Pizzle wrote: »
    Has anyone found/bought a good arm holder for using this phone while running?

I'm using the one I had for my Note 3 - fits perfectly.

I bought it on Adverts.ie but if you search for one online that fits the Note 3, you should be good.

Cheers, will check that out!

• Advertisement

oleras wrote: »
    Can i turn off the LED when its charging ? Its like the bat signal ! :pac:

Think you can by downloading the Moto G LED on/off widget app, someone posted a link to near the start of this thread i think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Question for those who have had to return phones under warranty.

What is the reaction when they find the phone is unlocked or with another Network?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

What is the reaction when they find the phone is unlocked or with another Network?

I had to return my first model (faulty battery) and the first sales rep seen the status bar with meteor on it and told me because it was unlocked it voided the warranty which was bull**** so I just left and returned the next day with the phone restored to factory and no sim inserted and I just didn't mention it was unlocked to the rep that served me on that occasion. I would advise doing the same just to make sure you don't get any hassle.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

DanC90 wrote: »
    I had to return my first model (faulty battery) and the first sales rep seen the status bar with meteor on it and told me because it was unlocked it voided the warranty which was bull**** so I just left and returned the next day with the phone restored to factory and no sim inserted and I just didn't mention it was unlocked to the rep that served me on that occasion. I would advise doing the same just to make sure you don't get any hassle.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for clarifying, did they replace it there and then? Did they want to send it off for repair?

Has anyone got any Ideas of removing the carrier name top left on this phones display screen? - Ive been googling and tried a couple of apps and have even rooted the phone and tried xposed module and still cannot get rid of it on this particular phone! - there isnt a setting I am missing in the settings menu is there? thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

Picked one up yesterday, unlocked and going well now.

It's a bleeding whopper, had one slippery moment with it, hopefully I get used to it as I prefer not having a case.

Felt a bit cheated by the set up experience, held back to back with my old phone and all done by NFC. In the old days I would have spent the whole evening tinkering.

Initial feeling is that it's a nice piece of kit.

Thanks for clarifying, did they replace it there and then? Did they want to send it off for repair?

Because he couldn't replicate the battery drain there and then he wanted to send it off, I let him because they had none in stock to replace it at the time and the phone was useless to me anyways.

Instead of waiting to be called I just went up 2 days later on the Friday (the day they were back in stock) and told another rep about it and they issued me a replacement there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

OK set up and ready to go, removed message+ the Vodafone app and replaced it on the bottom bar with messenger, is this the normal text message option? It looks a little different (but I am coming from android 4.1 ish)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

deadlast wrote: »
    Everyone that rings me is saying they can hear an echo of their own voice, it's fine on my end. Anyone else have this?

Mine is the same. My wife is going to kill me if I don't get it sorted. Lol

Thought it might have been the eBay cover but it's the same without it. Only lasts for 2-3 seconds and it goes but I'd rather it didn't happen at all.

Small update: the stuff sold to handofdog. Thank You!

eldamo, congrats dude! If mine hadn't had faults, I'd have loved the phone.

Despite the creaky noises it made, I really liked its design (flat, thin, no logos on the front, thin bezels).
    The screen was beautiful and super bright. Although too big for one handed use.
    The multitasking was very impressive. It held a lot of applications and websites in RAM; I never had a homescreen redraw on it.
    Battery life was great, about 5 1/4 hours of screen on time.
    It was super fast, everything opened instantly.
    Great daylight camera.

The only thing I did not like (besides the obvious), is that the UI was very stuttery. The application opens fast, but when you scroll through a list (Dropbox for example) and it stutters. When you go into an email on Gmail, and then hit the back arrow in the top left corner, the animation of that arrow was choppy. On websites (Chrome) though scrolling was smooth. Could be an Android thing, further accentuated by a large screen.

• Advertisement

eldamo wrote: »
    OK set up and ready to go, removed message+ the Vodafone app and replaced it on the bottom bar with messenger, is this the normal text message option? It looks a little different (but I am coming from android 4.1 ish)

I tell you what SMS program I like best is Handscent SMS app - although they have renamed it to NextSMS now. Its available free download from the play store - very adaptable and configurable.

Hope this helps.

It is annoying when some rep starts bull**** like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

I hate the small box where you type in Googles messenger app. If you type more than a sentence, you have to scroll in a tiny box to proof read/edit.

I hate the small box where you type in Googles messenger app. If you type more than a sentence, you have to scroll in a tiny box to proof read/edit.

Give NextSMS (Handscent SMS) a try. As you type the box gets taller

CyberGhost wrote:
    It is annoying when some rep starts bull**** like that.
    My first models battery declined like crazy to the point where it drained from 100% to 10% in 8 and a half hours on standby! I had screenshots on the phone to prove it and everything and when I told this to the rep I returned it to he tried to say "its normal for your phone to use battery at night when it's on standby because it's still connected to a mobile signal and there are background processes running too."

This infuriated me, I went on a rant explaining my knowledge of smartphones and there capabilities and that dropping 90% on standby in 8+ hours is in no way "normal" and to prove it I had my old moto G with me which I had charged and unplugged at the exact same time as the dodgy SU6 because I had to switch back to it, that had 90-95% still left on it and that was with 40 minutes of calls on it.
    He still tried to say that it was normal for it to drain by showing me his old iPhone 4s which he had drained a lot in a couple of hours but there notorious for having a crap battery in them so I dismissed that argument and demanded to speak to the manager who was way more competent.

The reps I later dealt with was way more understanding and helpful and restored some of my faith in Vodafone, but others like the first could potentially drive customers away and cause harm to the Vodafone brand. In future if I get a rep like him I will immediately just ask for a manager and hope he is as helpful as the one who gave me this replacement :)

Hope this helps anyone who may have to return theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

My first models battery declined like crazy to the point where it drained from 100% to 10% in 8 and a half hours on standby! I had screenshots on the phone to prove it and everything and when I told this to the rep I returned it to he tried to say "its normal for your phone to use battery at night when it's on standby because it's still connected to a mobile signal and there are background processes running too."

This infuriated me, I went on a rant explaining my knowledge of smartphones and there capabilities and that dropping 90% on standby in 8+ hours is in no way "normal" and to prove it I had my old moto G with me which I had charged and unplugged at the exact same time as the dodgy SU6 because I had to switch back to it, that had 90-95% still left on it and that was with 40 minutes of calls on it.
    He still tried to say that it was normal for it to drain by showing me his old iPhone 4s which he had drained a lot in a couple of hours but there notorious for having a crap battery in them so I dismissed that argument and demanded to speak to the manager who was way more competent.

The reps I later dealt with was way more understanding and helpful and restored some of my faith in Vodafone, but others like the first could potentially drive customers away and cause harm to the Vodafone brand. In future if I get a rep like him I will immediately just ask for a manager and hope he is as helpful as the one who gave me this replacement :)

Hope this helps anyone who may have to return theirs.

You get people like him all the time across lots of different stores. They just put their fingers in their ears and shout LA LA LA LA until you leave. Best not discussing further with them if at all possible. But glad to hear you got it sorted anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

just got these delivered this morning....very happy with it so far cover fits well I think the clear cover adds to the look of the phone and the screen protector is ok (a little short on the bottom end) but has gone on well

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CRYSTAL-CLEAR-HARD-BACK-CASE-COVER-FOR-VODAFONE-SMART-ULTRA-6-SCREEN-PROTECTOR-/400992878583?

cost €4.22 delivered.
    1x Crystal Clear Hard Back Case
    1x Screen Protector
    1x Cleaning Cloth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

just got these delivered this morning....very happy with it so far cover fits well I think the clear cover adds to the look of the phone and the screen protector is ok (a little short on the bottom end) but has gone on well

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CRYSTAL-CL...-/400992878583?

cost €4.22 delivered.
    1x Screen Protector
    1x Cleaning Cloth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

neacy69 wrote: »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CRYSTAL-CLEAR-HARD-BACK-CASE-COVER-FOR-VODAFONE-SMART-ULTRA-6-SCREEN-PROTECTOR-/400992878583?

cost €4.22 delivered.
    1x Screen Protector
    1x Cleaning Cloth
    I need to replace the pack of ten covers I originally bought as they stretched easily. Is this more durable do you think? Is it rigid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭zaphodbeeb

Have this phone a while now - loving it.

One minor thing that I must've done myself, I use a PIN on the phone such that when it's not being used for a minute or two you've to enter a four digit code.

Thing is when I do this now, it makes this loud unnecessary noise - when isn't ideal when you're checking your phone late at night.

Is there a way to disable this? I don't want to put the phone in silent mode, just don't want it making an unnecessary noise on wake up / enterining four digit code...

Thanks for any help...

Advertisement