Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭pearsefitz

Did anyone manage to get the phone from UK £99 offer over the weekend?
    tried talking to vodafone ire and they would not match what so ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

neacy69 wrote: »
    :cool:

Yup its rigid but not hard. i like it so far...the screen protector isnt great but its free! took about 4 days shipping.

I bought a similar one mentioned earlier in the thread but people hear themselves echo on phone calls?? Every time I take the cover off, the echo goes away?

So I'll give this one a shot, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 killilea92

guys iv gotten the code, unlocked the network and now iv no coverege, anyone know what to do? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭DopeTech

killilea92 wrote: »
    guys iv gotten the code, unlocked the network and now iv no coverege, anyone know what to do? :(

Turn on data roaming and check you have the APN settings setup

yup iv access to the APN and its giving me data.mymeteor.ie and when i go into that everything is faded out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

try going into settings menu and press 'more' then press 'mobile networks' then network operators then choose automatically or chose the network manually to match the sim card you have - hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 43 kinanoman

Has anyone been able to root successfully? I have tried Kingroot and sometimes it roots but when i restart the phone the root is lost. What exactly do I have to do to root successfully? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

kinanoman wrote: »
    Has anyone been able to root successfully? I have tried Kingroot and sometimes it roots but when i restart the phone the root is lost. What exactly do I have to do to root successfully? Thanks

Yeah i uninstalled kingroot as it was causing crashes etc. Haven't researched any further as to how to root easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Are there any benefits of rooting? I rooted my last phone and then the root app wanted permission for my online banking app and that scared me. I unrooted it but in the settings it still said that the software is custom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

GvidoR wrote: »
    Are there any benefits of rooting?

It sounds like a cliché, but if you ask, there are no benefits of it for you...
    I rooted my last phone and then the root app wanted permission for my online banking app and that scared me. I unrooted it but in the settings it still said that the software is custom.

Actually it was the other way round - it was your online banking app asking for root permission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Guys,

Any figure out how to set the phone to connect to USB as external storage and not just charge?

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Guys,

Any figure out how to set the phone to connect to USB as external storage and not just charge?

My 2nd Smart Ultra connected straight away, but for the first one, I needed to go to:

Setttings > Storage > (3 dot in top right corner) > USB computer connection > Media device (MTP)

It charges much faster using the power brick by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Guys,

Search back in the thread...

Hey,

could anyone document the steps after you enter the unlock code to get the network working on this phone?

I am going to restore the phone and try a different sim card later today and will update if i get the device working.

I had a hell of a nightmare rooting this phone, normally other phones have rooted easy but with this phone you have to perform certain extra requirements to stop it from loosing root when you restart the phone. From memory it was something like replacing stock recovery with team win recovery (TWR) whilst rooted, then install superuser.zip by TWR and then it kept its root. If I find the link or have bookmarked it I will post it on here.

maybe a stupid question but do you have to root the phone? maybe thats why its not picking up my network

Are there any benefits of rooting? I rooted my last phone and then the root app wanted permission for my online banking app and that scared me. I unrooted it but in the settings it still said that the software is custom.

Since rooting I have changed my recents softkey to make the phone go to sleep when long pressed, saving power button, make all 3 softkey lights flash for notification, pulse middle softkey light when charging, Uninstalled and frozen some built in apps that normally cannot be uninstalled or disabled and set profile speeds for cpu - there are loads of other cool apps out there that only work on rooted phones so to me I would rather be rooted than not, but beware it can also stuff up your phone too, thats why manufacturers dont want you to root phones and will void your warranty if you do.

maybe a stupid question but do you have to root the phone? maybe thats why its not picking up my network

no you dont have to root the phone to pick up a network. Did you try my advice above about going into mobile settings and choosing your sim / network provider? - also you havent got the phone on aeroplane mode have ye? :confused:

I had a hell of a nightmare rooting this phone, normally other phones have rooted easy but with this phone you have to perform certain extra requirements to stop it from loosing root when you restart the phone. From memory it was something like replacing stock recovery with team win recovery (TWR) whilst rooted, then install superuser.zip by TWR and then it kept its root. If I find the link or have bookmarked it I will post it on here.

That would be Great if you could send us on that link Andy. Thanks

no you dont have to root the phone to pick up a network. Did you try my advice above about going into mobile settings and choosing your sim / network provider? - also you havent got the phone on aeroplane mode have ye? :confused:

yea i did and after trying to register to the network it said it was unable.. nope i checked all that, did all the typical troubleshooting :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

Hey,

could anyone document the steps after you enter the unlock code to get the network working on this phone?
    It really depends on your network.
    Calls and texts should just work straight off.
    In some cases your may need to manually scan for and connect to your specific network.
    In other cases the phone will just pick it up.
    Some carriers (usually the "virtual" ones - Tesco, Lyca, 48 etc.) need roaming/data roaming enabled because even on the "home" network the phone thinks that it's roaming on a different network. This is not a problem and doesn't incur any additional costs or anything.
    In rare cases you may need to configure the SMSC (message centre number) for texts to work but normally the phone gets this from your SIM.
    For internet/data access you normally need to configure the APN/internet settings for your specific carrier and their website should document these.

That would be Great if you could send us on that link Andy. Thanks

here - 2nd post down, a bit complicated dont blame me anyone if it fecks up yer phone ;):

http://www.modaco.com/forums/topic/375666-all-who-cant-root/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

TM wrote: »
    It really depends on your network.
    Calls and texts should just work straight off.
    In some cases your may need to manually scan for and connect to your specific network.
    In other cases the phone will just pick it up.
    Some carriers (usually the "virtual" ones - Tesco, Lyca, 48 etc.) need roaming/data roaming enabled because even on the "home" network the phone thinks that it's roaming on a different network. This is not a problem and doesn't incur any additional costs or anything.
    In rare cases you may need to configure the SMSC (message centre number) for texts to work but normally the phone gets this from your SIM.
    For internet/data access you normally need to configure the APN/internet settings for your specific carrier and their website should document these.

I found that this phone does not have a 'normal' Text Messaging Service. It has a special Vodafone-only Text System and you will have to get something like Google messenger from the Play Store. Also I had to manually input both the Text and Data APN settings for my network.

Apologies if this has been mentioned already somewhere in this thread.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    It has a special Vodafone-only Text System and you will have to get something like Google messenger from the Play Store.
    Are you sure about that?
    What app is installed for texting by default?
    I would have expected the bog standard Android/AOSP text messaging app.
    I would be surprised if they have modified this to make it Vodafone specific.
    More likely that the SMSC needs to be reconfigured or something like that.
    I normally use Textra myself but there are lots of alternatives.
    Also I had to manually input both the Text and Data APN settings for my network.
    There is no text/SMS APN.
    SMS messages are sent via the SMSC number configured on the phone and usually retrieved from the SIM.
    I presume you mean MMS and data?
    It's normal to have to configure these manually on a phone not bought from a carrier.
    You can usually configure a single APN that works for both MMS and data rather than configuring separate ones.

Cheers Andy I'll give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Sorry, did mean just the normal SMS. This phone does not come with a "Message" app, just the specific Vodafone Message+. When I attempted to use this it gave me a notification that as I was not on the Voda Network this service was unavailable.
    I had to get Google Messenger from the Play Store to send and receive texts.

And you're right, I had to set the APN for Data and MMS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Tehering with ID mobile? allowed or no?

Sorry, did mean just the normal SMS. This phone does not come with a "Message" app, just the specific Vodafone Message+. When I attempted to use this it gave me a notification that as I was not on the Voda Network this service was unavailable.
    Ah - I get you now.
    I find Textra pretty good but as I said there are lots of SMS/MMS/combined messaging alternatives out there.

Tehering with ID mobile? allowed or no?
    By the phone?
    I presume so as long as you have the APN/internet settings and personal hotspot configured correctly.
    If you mean do ID allow tethering then you need to look at their terms & conditions/rules.

• Advertisement

Sorry, did mean just the normal SMS. This phone does not come with a "Message" app, just the specific Vodafone Message+.

It does. It's called "Messenger" (not to be confused with Facebook messenger).

It looks like this:

Google-Messenger-logo.png

Advertisement