Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭A Law

Not sure if its been mentioned but Argos have good deals on micro SD cards for extra storage. I got 64gb for €25. Check the agros bargain thread for more.
    And on another note, what's the easiest way to switch my contacts etc from my iphone 4 to one of these? I've had to change sims cos this is a nano.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Love the phone but one issue. Anyone else having problem where, when on a call, their ear keeps pressing random things eg puts caller on hold, speaker, change some obscure settings (and then spend bloody ages wondering why my keyboard isn't doing predictive texting!! ) etc. Ive started to use Bluetooth headphones where can avoid this as doing my head in. The lock button doesn't seem to kick in when on a call

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭karlyk1

Not sure if its been mentioned but Argos have good deals on micro SD cards for extra storage. I got 64gb for €25. Check the agros bargain thread for more.
    And on another note, what's the easiest way to switch my contacts etc from my iphone 4 to one of these? I've had to change sims cos this is a nano.

Just did the same thing this week. Sign up to an icloud account and sync your contacts from your iPhone (sim should fit back in your iPhone if you still have the ‘extra bit’ from your iPhone sim… if it was cut to fit). Then put nano sim back in Ultra, download Sync for iCloud app and sync your contacts. This takes a couple of minutes, but they should all appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭DopeTech

seefin wrote: »
    Love the phone but one issue. Anyone else having problem where, when on a call, their ear keeps pressing random things eg puts caller on hold, speaker, change some obscure settings (and then spend bloody ages wondering why my keyboard isn't doing predictive texting!! ) etc. Ive started to use Bluetooth headphones where can avoid this as doing my head in. The lock button doesn't seem to kick in when on a call

Are you left handed?

Yeah! Is that why??

• Advertisement

Yeah! Is that why??

Well I think its to do with the positioning of the sensor and if you are left handed the sensor isn't always up to your face if you hold it forward at all.

To test you could make a call and put your finger over the sensor. If it comes on with your finger on it you know you have a dodgy sensor or software glitch. If not you know you're holding it wrong. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

I'm also left handed & have the same issue. The phone just doesn't feel comfortable in my other hand though.

jgbyr wrote: »
    I'm also left handed & have the same issue. The phone just doesn't feel comfortable in my other hand though.

All you can do then is try hold it slightly further back towards the back of your head.

FrostyJim wrote: »
    All you can do then is try hold it slightly further back towards the back of your head.

Thanks, must try & remember to give that a go. Normally when I'm on a call I could switch things on or mute etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Anyone have this phone crash and restart on them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Hard reset does not mean reset the phone...
    when I google it I get

"A hard reset, also known as a factory reset or master reset, is the restoration of a device to the state it was in when it left the factory. All settings, applications and data added by the user are removed."
    "A hardware reset or hard reset of a computer system is a hardware operation that re-initializes the core hardware components of the system, thus ending all current software operations in the system"...

:rolleyes:
    Just to clarify - I just want to be able to cut the power and reset the yoke - same as pulling out the battery would do in any ordinary phone. Is there a way for me to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

RainyDay wrote: »
    Just to clarify - I just want to be able to cut the power and reset the yoke - same as pulling out the battery would do in any ordinary phone. Is there a way for me to do this?

From reading online a hard reset is completed by pressing and holding vol down and the power button. Although I haven't tested this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

What I've done is to just hold down the power button until it reboots, takes longer than 10 seconds

FrostyJim wrote:
    To test you could make a call and put your finger over the sensor. If it comes on with your finger on it you know you have a dodgy sensor or software glitch. If not you know you're holding it wrong.

FrostyJim wrote:
    Well I think its to do with the positioning of the sensor and if you are left handed the sensor isn't always up to your face if you hold it forward at all.

FrostyJim, thanks for this. Probably a dumb question but where is the sensor on the screen and what's its purpose??? I though the whole screen was touch sensitive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

corwill wrote: »

What I've done is to just hold down the power button until it reboots, takes longer than 10 seconds
    Beautiful - this worked for me, though it does indeed take quite a while.

From reading online a hard reset is completed by pressing and holding vol down and the power button. Although I haven't tested this.
    This takes a screenshot for me.

FrostyJim, thanks for this. Probably a dumb question but where is the sensor on the screen and what's its purpose??? I though the whole screen was touch sensitive

Checked for myself as I'm left handed & it's to the right of the earpiece. I've found that holding the phone further back in my left hand works as recommended here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Beautiful - this worked for me, though it does indeed take quite a while.

I asked, does it not turn off no matter how long you press the power button but okay...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Anyone else havinng touch screen issues? I work in a chiller (-7 degrees) and I think its messed the phone up big time. The home key and back key are completely unresponsive along with certain parts of the screen. The weir thing is that it comes and goes. If I leave the phone inside the house its fine but when it comes in contact with cold air it's gone again.

My old phones were fine in my job though but Ive stopped bringing it into work. Any idea what I can do about this? I only got the phone about 3 months ago is there some sort of warranty for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Stiofain2006

Took the plunge and purchased one of these phones yesterday.

Can anyone recommend a decent cover. This one caught my eye

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tough-Dual-Shockproof-Heavy-Duty-Case-Cover-Stand-For-Vodafone-Smart-Ultra-6-/271931486149?nav=SEARCH

Also was wondering if there is anyway to delete all the vodafone apps. Can delete some but not others.

Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Took the plunge and purchased one of these phones yesterday.

Can anyone recommend a decent cover. This one caught my eye

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tough-Dual-Shockproof-Heavy-Duty-Case-Cover-Stand-For-Vodafone-Smart-Ultra-6-/271931486149?nav=SEARCH

Also was wondering if there is anyway to delete all the vodafone apps. Can delete some but not others.

Thx

Lots of posts on covers on this thread already! However, I have the one you suggest, in red, and I love it. Doesn't bulk up the phone too much. Feels very secure. stand works well also. But the one you highlighted is 1/3 to 1/2 what mine cost !! Nice spot.

Read back on the thread re deleting VF apps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭pissed

Having problems with my phone now. It seems to have something running in the background. It vibrates by itself and if I try access apps or settings I get brought back to the home screen. I am unable to make it to settings - restore. None of the buttons seem to be stuck and I took off the cover just in case.

Any suggestions ?? Still under warranty so it can go back to VF at worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭touts

jgbyr wrote: »
    Checked for myself as I'm left handed & it's to the right of the earpiece. I've found that holding the phone further back in my left hand works as recommended here.

Just tried this and found the sensor to the right of the earpiece as you said (top of the phone, immediately beside the earpiece speaker on the opposite side to the selfie camera). Now that I know where it is I can adjust how I hold the phone to avoid my cheek putting people on hold etc. This was an issue I had with this and other phones in the past. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭pissed

pissed wrote: »
    Having problems with my phone now. It seems to have something running in the background. It vibrates by itself and if I try access apps or settings I get brought back to the home screen. I am unable to make it to settings - restore. None of the buttons seem to be stuck and I took off the cover just in case.

Any suggestions ?? Still under warranty so it can go back to VF at worst.
    Ok I managed to do a factory reset but still the vibrating persists. Does anyone know if you can just bring it back to any Vodafone shop? I purchased it in Navan but would be easier to go to Blanchardstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

pissed wrote: »
    Ok I managed to do a factory reset but still the vibrating persists. Does anyone know if you can just bring it back to any Vodafone shop? I purchased it in Navan but would be easier to go to Blanchardstown.

It shouldn't make a difference. Just bring the box with all accessories and the receipt with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭karlyk1

Can anyone answer DEFINITIVELY if unlocking voids the warranty or not please? Had this about a week, but now it won’t recognise the sim all of a sudden (Tesco Mobile). Popped in the VF sim and won’t recognise that either – so am thinking it’s a hardware problem with the handset. Will have to bring it back.

Last thing I need is some dopey kid telling me the warranty is void in a shop if that’s not the case (sorry, have had it up to my eyeballs with sales reps not knowing what they’re talking about with various different products… Think I might go full ‘Falling Down’/Michael Douglas if that happens again!).:mad:
    Have had a quick look on the Vodafone forum too, but can’t find answer for sure. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Howdy, got this for the father, great phone for the price point to be fair. I got it an unlock code from e-bay and working fine on tesco mobile.

One little issue, the "Data Roaming" notification is always appears in the lock screen and notification area. If there anyway to disable this? Data roaming appears to have to remain on for cellular data to work on tesco mobile but i just want to disable the notification.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

karlyk1 wrote: »
    Can anyone answer DEFINITIVELY if unlocking voids the warranty or not please? Had this about a week, but now it won’t recognise the sim all of a sudden (Tesco Mobile). Popped in the VF sim and won’t recognise that either – so am thinking it’s a hardware problem with the handset. Will have to bring it back.

Last thing I need is some dopey kid telling me the warranty is void in a shop if that’s not the case (sorry, have had it up to my eyeballs with sales reps not knowing what they’re talking about with various different products… Think I might go full ‘Falling Down’/Michael Douglas if that happens again!).:mad:
    Have had a quick look on the Vodafone forum too, but can’t find answer for sure. Thanks.

Put vodafone sim in, and dont say anything. Others have returned there's without issue after unlocking. Just don't be stupid about it.

davo2001 wrote: »
    Howdy, got this for the father, great phone for the price point to be fair. I got it an unlock code from e-bay and working fine on tesco mobile.

One little issue, the "Data Roaming" notification is always appears in the lock screen and notification area. If there anyway to disable this? Data roaming appears to have to remain on for cellular data to work on tesco mobile but i just want to disable the notification.

TIA
    No way to disable it unfortunately. If we ever get a custom rom for the phone we will be able but until then it will have to stay there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

FrostyJim wrote: »
    No way to disable it unfortunately. If we ever get a custom rom for the phone we will be able but until then it will have to stay there.

Dang, OK, fair enough, thanks for the response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

karlyk1 wrote: »

I WANT BREAKFAST ! :P

Advertisement