Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭pissed

Returned mine today in Blanchardstown. No question asked regarding unlocking etc. Took the sim and memory card out of it and factory reset. Said it should take 5 days or so to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Put vodafone sim in, and dont say anything. Others have returned there's without issue after unlocking. Just don't be stupid about it.

"Here is my VODAFONE Smart Ultra 6. It's having some issues and I would like to return it. It's on Vodafone network. Everybody I know is on Vodafone. Look, there is a Vodafone SIM in there. Don't bother checking if it's unlocked, because it's not. Why would I want to use anything other than Vodafone?"

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭clickhere

I had a 48 sim in it that I had cut to a nano and it was working fine. I then changed to 3 and it would not recognise the sim. On inspection i noticed that the 3 sim was slightly thinner then the 48 sim. I applied a thin layer of tape to the back of the 3 sim and reinstalled it. It kicked in straight away and I haven't had a problem since. Obviously it wasn't making contact with all the pins. You might try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Seems this phone is too good to be true.

Poor build quality/components :( and its unreliable :mad:

Wasted 6 quid on a glass screen protector too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Seems this phone is too good to be true.

Poor build quality/components :( and its unreliable :mad:

Wasted 6 quid on a glass screen protector too!

All good this end:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

Is anyone aware of replacement screens being present for these beauties? Mine is in pieces after an eventful Halloween night out unfortunately. The irony in it all is I was half of 118 118, and my search has left me with no answers :D

bidiots wrote: »
    All good this end:)

Mine was all good until it suddenly went :( How many months did you have it?

Maybe you got a good one or else your Smart Ultra 6's time has yet to come... :D

Mine was all good until it suddenly went :( How many months did you have it?

Maybe you got a good one or else your Smart Ultra 6's time has yet to come... :D
    easy now:eek:
    I and the OH have them a few months at this stage. Surely if it goes tits up you can get a refund though?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I and the OH have them a few months at this stage. Surely if it goes tits up you can get a refund though?

You'd be fairly well covered, but I wouldn't expect money back immediately. It would most likely be sent for repair, and then replaced if the issue remained. They are no obliged to offer a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

This is no less reliable than anything you would get from China with a similar spec and price. For peace of mind, the only place you would get similar reassurance that you are covered if something goes wrong is probably Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I bought this thinking that if I get a year out of it I'd be reasonably happy. So fingers crossed!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

One thing to remember, literally thousands of people have commented on this thread and 200,000 views! Based on this thread alone, I expect Vodafone have sold 10's of thousands of these phones to boards users.

A 1% failure rate would be totally normal for any electric product. So assuming 10,000 people who read this thread bought one of these phones, then you would expect at least 100 boards users to have gotten a bad one.

Remember people who have problems post, the majority of people who have no problems don't post.

So given how popular this item is, I'm not at all surprised a few boards users had issues. But I'd also wouldn't take that as an indication that there is a general problem with this product and if you have bought one (I have and I'm very happy with it) I wouldn't worry too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

bk wrote: »
    One thing to remember, literally thousands of people have commented on this thread and 200,000 views! Based on this thread alone, I expect Vodafone have sold 10's of thousands of these phones to boards users.

I think you are being wildly optimistic with your sales estimation. I've been in and out of here maybe 50 times, and have not bought one nor will I.

bidiots wrote:
    All good this end

Same here. Have it 2 full months. No issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

GvidoR wrote: »
    Same here. Have it 2 full months. No issues.

Yup - 3 months in and still doing what it should. The odd hiccup (i.e. crashed twice & decided not to boot up once for a period early days) but definitely no more troublesome than my previous Note 3 & iPhone.

Nope, it's up to the shop to decide repair, replacement or refund. I think VF replace if its brought back within 28 days and sent for repair after that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭cuculainn

I have to say I am fairly interested in getting one of these, but am a bit put off by the reports of niggly issues.

It is also funny that most people are content for a €170 phone to only last a year or so.....has phone quality (Chinese or otherwise) become so bad that that is all we expect for that money?

I have a Jiayu g4s that I got for ~ €130 euro and other than me dropping it or bricking it I expect it to last till I decide I need an upgrade....am I delusional ??

I bought this thinking that if I get a year out of it I'd be reasonably happy. So fingers crossed!

I got 2 years of an S3 Mini (sold it in working condition) so I'm hoping to get the same as that but possibly wont keep it as long since budget phones are rapidly getting better and better.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

Guys, I bought a HTC 620 and it was a heap of crap. Gave it to the kids as I couldn't use it, had it repaired twice and it still was crap. This phone was cheaper and is infinitely better. I and many like me have had no problems with the phone. This is better than my old Samsung which was not a bad phone either.
    Just my opinion.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Have mine a few months, unbelievable device!!!! Way better than my old HTC M8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,013 ✭✭✭Hitchens

no chink in it's armour so far :)

cuculainn wrote: »
    I have to say I am fairly interested in getting one of these, but am a bit put off by the reports of niggly issues.

It is also funny that most people are content for a €170 phone to only last a year or so.....has phone quality (Chinese or otherwise) become so bad that that is all we expect for that money?

I have a Jiayu g4s that I got for ~ €130 euro and other than me dropping it or bricking it I expect it to last till I decide I need an upgrade....am I delusional ??
    No phone is perfect, regardless of your budget, so it's not unusual to get reports of issues. The fact that you can get this spec for 170 just makes it that bit more of a bargain. I've come from a Lumia 735, to be clear, I prefer Windows phones, hands down. But, with the lack of new models and the price range of the Ultra, it was a no brainer.
    The only gripe I have is the loudspeaker volume is just very very low. Thats about it really.
    Regarding your Jiayu, I bought the G3 a few years ago for the OH, it worked a treat for a couple of years, think it cost 125 in the end. Great value for what it was but can't compare to a 5.5inch screen for a few more quid....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

cuculainn wrote: »

It isn't that they only last one year. It is more that technology is advancing so quickly and the prices so low, that it is hard not to want to upgrade so frequently.

For instance, I just helped my girlfriend upgrade from a Moto G to this phone.

Now the Moto G still worked perfectly fine and her mother will be getting it. But even though the Moto G is barely more then a year old, this new phone is vastly superior and well worth the €175 to upgrade too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,013 ✭✭✭Hitchens

bk wrote: »
    It isn't that they only last one year. It is more that technology is advancing so quickly and the prices so low, that it is hard not to want to upgrade so frequently.

For instance, I just helped my girlfriend upgrade from a Moto G to this phone.

Now the Moto G still worked perfectly fine and her mother will be getting it. But even though the Moto G is barely more then a year old, this new phone is vastly superior and well worth the €175 to upgrade too.
    €170 now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

really liking it so far:)

Hitchens wrote: »
    €170 now

It's always been €170. Unlock code costs €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Can someone recommend a gel case for this. I don't like those wallet type cases that are on the vodafone site.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,752 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Can someone recommend a gel case for this. I don't like those wallet type cases that are on the vodafone site.

Look for Cotechs gel cases on EBay, real nice cases and fit perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

I'm beginning to get frustrated with this phone.

The data roaming was irritating at first but I am used to it.

What I cannot bear is the sd card problems I am having. I am using officesuite pro program from amazon and cannot save anything to any sd card - when I go to allow it documents stops and I go in circles: renaming didn't work and formatting a new card didn't work as it didn't even detect it. The camera saves photos and video to the cards just fine. I just bought a sandisk 64gb card (using a kingston 16gb up to now) to move things onto aswell.

Is there any workaround without rooting? Is this Lollipop or this phone's build of it? Or is the phone just defective?

Help appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,752 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Save to internal memory then move it to the SD card via File manager/Es Explorer etc,.

Advertisement