Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I've not experienced those issues to be honest! Maybe a reset to factory is needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Row wrote: »
    I have this phone for the last few months thanks to this thread and cannot fault it bar the following.
    1)I use messenger for texting but I sometimes don't receive texts for a day or so and the only way to sort this is to restart the phone.

Has anyone got a longterm fix for this..?

2)The phone looks for a Sw update every week or so but every time I try to update it says (failed update)

Can I download the latest Sw update and update it from my SD Card...?

Maybe both of the above are related...?

Other than that its a great phone with super battery life for a smart phone.
    Its super fast and is pretty tough as it spends most of it life in my overall pockets... :-).

BTW its running on the Vodafone network.

Have you rooted the phone? The SMS delay sounds like a network issue to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Have you rooted the phone? The SMS delay sounds like a network issue to be honest.

I think same. Next time don't restart it, but go into and out of Airplane mode.

That will not restart the apps, but only log you out of the network and back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I tried.. and failed to like this phone. Its a fantastic phone for the price, but alas its just too big physically (I kept touching the screen by mistake, ringing people and doing things I didn't want it to do), has a few irritating problems (mine had an echo problem when others rang me), constant software updates etc. As I said great phone, but not for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Have been using the phone a day and can't fault it so far. Admittedly much larger than previous phones I've owned, it still isn't a burden carrying around, surprisingly light weight and still fits neatly in pocket. Bar word processing/typing, it will easily replace my laptop and even ereader now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

How do I turn off Google App voice command. When listening to podcasts using earphones stupid thing keeps activating

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

seefin wrote: »
    How do I turn off Google App voice command. When listening to podcasts using earphones stupid thing keeps activating

Google app, hamburger menu, settings, voice, ok Google detection

OK Google detection is turned off though! Only activates n headphones connected. Its turned off then too. Can't understand it.

seefin wrote: »
    OK Google detection is turned off though! Only activates n headphones connected. Its turned off then too. Can't understand it.

Google says it's probably your headphones shorting something and activating it. Do you have headphones that have controls on them? Try different ones.

Thanks for googling that!! Have other headphones at work so will try tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Looks like Vodafone Turkey released 5.1.1 update.

UK version should be right around the corner then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CaptainKao

davo2001 wrote: »
    Howdy, got this for the father, great phone for the price point to be fair. I got it an unlock code from e-bay and working fine on tesco mobile.

One little issue, the "Data Roaming" notification is always appears in the lock screen and notification area. If there anyway to disable this? Data roaming appears to have to remain on for cellular data to work on tesco mobile but i just want to disable the notification.

TIA
    If the roaming notification is still bothering you on the lock screen. Go to settings/sound & notification and an option at the bottom under "Notification" (When device is locked) select Don't show notifications at all. Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CaptainKao

davo2001 wrote: »
    Howdy, got this for the father, great phone for the price point to be fair. I got it an unlock code from e-bay and working fine on tesco mobile.

One little issue, the "Data Roaming" notification is always appears in the lock screen and notification area. If there anyway to disable this? Data roaming appears to have to remain on for cellular data to work on tesco mobile but i just want to disable the notification.

TIA
    If the roaming notification is still bothering you on the lock screen. Go to settings/sound & notification and an option at the bottom under "Notification" (When device is locked) select Don't show notifications at all. Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Turkey has received the 5.1.1 update for this phone. UK then Eire will follow soon enough now. Probably the last OTA this phone will ever get though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Turkey has received the 5.1.1 update for this phone. UK then Eire will follow soon enough now. Probably the last OTA this phone will ever get though.

They have enabled bootlaoder unlock now though so it'll be easier to make custom roms. Who knows we might even see a mm rom

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

If anybody cant wait for vodafone Ireland to release the update ..I installed this update on my phone and its working perfectly and root is working too but it does come with a large amount of bloatware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Very tinny sound, playing and receiving, a minor complaint though on a great product.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭mopi

corsav6 wrote: »
    Another + for the cotech case. Adds extra grip and fits nice and snugly on the phone.

that makes it a triple + for the cotechs then - not sure if it was accident or design but I got a near perfect bubble free fit on the first attempt.

Anyone on 3 have the phone keep switching to O2 IRL? Mine does that multiple times per day and it's very annoying.

I contacted 3 on Twitter and they gave me some APN settings which I put in the phone - didn't help. I was in a 3 store the other day and they said they're in the middle of upgrading their coverage or whatever and that my mobile internet should work when it's on O2 but it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

GvidoR wrote: »
    Anyone on 3 have the phone keep switching to O2 IRL? Mine does that multiple times per day and it's very annoying.

I contacted 3 on Twitter and they gave me some APN settings which I put in the phone - didn't help. I was in a 3 store the other day and they said they're in the middle of upgrading their coverage or whatever and that my mobile internet should work when it's on O2 but it doesn't.
    On virgin media and showing up as 3 IRL, but yesterday it was roaming onto o2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

Always happens to me, even when I am in 4g area, have to keep manually changing it back, and its slow searching for network... very annoying

monster1 wrote: »
    Always happens to me, even when I am in 4g area, have to keep manually changing it back, and its slow searching for network... very annoying

Yeah, same here. :(

I used to think that manual network selection wouldn't change network no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Looks like Vodafone Turkey released 5.1.1 update.

UK version should be right around the corner then.

In case anyone can't bear to wait any longer for UK or Ireland update - http://www.ztedevice.com/support/58fdc373-46d0-4734-8e93-6fdc3ab090ba.html

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

corwill wrote: »
    In case anyone can't bear to wait any longer for UK or Ireland update - http://www.ztedevice.com/support/58fdc373-46d0-4734-8e93-6fdc3ab090ba.html

how do you go about installing it? do you have to root it and install from recovery?

monster1 wrote: »
    how do you go about installing it? do you have to root it and install from recovery?

Just put the "update.zip" on a Micro SD card.

Go the settings > about phone > software updates > sd card update

Might want to back up data first.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

corwill wrote: »

thanks, downloading it now from the net - fair old size at 1gb for a phone rom! and its taking ages to download on my connection (10mbps) maybe its the server thats clogged

Snowc wrote: »
    If anybody cant wait for vodafone Ireland to release the update ..I installed this update on my phone and its working perfectly and root is working too but it does come with a large amount of bloatware.

Just downloading it from the net now, taking ages but it is a huge 1gb (big size for a phone rom?)

thanks, downloading it now from the net - fair old size at 1gb for a phone rom! and its taking ages to download on my connection (10mbps) maybe its the server thats clogged

Yeah, it seems a bit big, but the Irish 5.02 is not much smaller - http://www.ztedevice.com/support/smart_phone/e1b72cc8-4cd8-40da-be40-62ed571dfcf1.html

I wonder is it down to the Vodafone bloat? From what I've read of the Turkish ROM, it seems to be saddled with even more crapware than our current one.

is it likely it will factory reset the phone and it will all have to be set up from scratch again I suppose it will? - I am rooted so i might try using that titanium backup app and back everything up to that - could i update phone using TWR recovery?

• Advertisement

is it likely it will factory reset the phone and it will all have to be set up from scratch again I suppose it will? - I am rooted so i might try using that titanium backup app and back everything up to that - could i update phone using TWR recovery?

AFAIK, it will factory reset your phone, if you update it from that link; it's effectively a fresh install, rather than just an update. You might have difficulty getting it to install if you have a custom recovery, given that it's a stock ROM.

Advertisement