Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Bullet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

'How did you get Batman to do the voiceover?'

That was funny, right there.

The rest?

Technology seems to be enabling us to make ever more destructive ammunition for handguns and shotguns. I'm betting that this cartridge will go the way of the 'Black Talon' round of a few years back - for law enforcement only.

The most useful of the recent 'total energy dump' cartridges was the Glaser - the so-called Glaser 'Safety' round. It was designed to be used in an aircraft in flight, and consisted of a very dense gelatinous material holding a number of lead shot, and was intended for use by Sky Marshals/aircraft security personnel in the event of a hi-jacking at altitude. The bullet effectively dumped ALL of its energy in the body of the target - nothing exited, unlike this appalling thing. Fragments of the RIP 'bullet' can clearly be seen existing the ballistic gel and passing clear through the heavy plywood backstop.

Long ago I got to shoot every calibre of Glaser bullet then available, including .308Win subsonics from a moderated bolt-action SAKO and Steyr. They worked perfectly for maybe 95% of the time. IMO they were the very best solution to a very difficult and on-going problem - then and now.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

tac foley wrote: »
    'How did you get Batman to do the voiceover?'

That was funny, right there.

The rest?

Technology seems to be enabling us to make ever more destructive ammunition for handguns and shotguns. I'm betting that this cartridge will go the way of the 'Black Talon' round of a few years back - for law enforcement only.

The most useful of the recent 'total energy dump' cartridges was the Glaser - the so-called Glaser 'Safety' round. It was designed to be used in an aircraft in flight, and consisted of a very dense gelatinous material holding a number of lead shot, and was intended for use by Sky Marshals/aircraft security personnel in the event of a hi-jacking at altitude. The bullet effectively dumped ALL of its energy in the body of the target - nothing exited, unlike this appalling thing. Fragments of the RIP 'bullet' can clearly be seen existing the ballistic gel and passing clear through the heavy plywood backstop.

Long ago I got to shoot every calibre of Glaser bullet then available, including .308Win subsonics from a moderated bolt-action SAKO and Steyr. They worked perfectly for maybe 95% of the time. IMO they were the very best solution to a very difficult and on-going problem - then and now.

tac
    Ah! The glazer saftey slug.One day there will be a chapter in my memoirs about fate and loading such rounds into a glock mag ,badly trained ex RUC police officers in gun saftey messing around with their privately owned glocks in my apartment in California,accidental discharge into said apartment wall and almost shooting a gay bdsm leather inclined neighbour as well as the aftermath.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Sir, there is waaaay too much information there.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

So, first off it's mainly just marketing (just like the black talon rounds from a few years back and pretty much every other example you can think of); and secondly it's explicitly marketed for use on humans. This is RKBA folks, we don't cover it (check your friendly neighbourhood charter).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement