Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading pc - sell or upgrade

Options
  • 06-07-2015 9:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

H81, 8gb ram, r9 280 overclocked, vs series 550w, g3258 over clocked to 4.3 ghz. 1TB WD blue.

Not sure if I should sell the whole thing and start again. The g3258 isn't really cutting it in the latest games. Also need a monitor at least 24 inch.

I'm thinking of getting a i5 4440 and an R9 290 due to the low prices of them and sell the g3258 and r9 280. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

r9 280 should be grand. It's that CPU that is holding the build back. An upgrade to the i5 and buying an SSD for your OS is what i'd recommend. Plenty of nice 24" monitors. I'd recommend an IPS monitor... they aren't the best for gaming but they look damn pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

I agree with Xenoronin, hold on to that GPU maybe for another while. Your CPU was most likely slightly bottle-necking it. a 4400 or a 4460 would do wonders :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

It's a pretty well balanced system. Not gonna be maxing out the latest games, but neither should it struggle. The CPU might be holding you be back in multi threaded games, but should be slaying dual threaded ones.

When you say it's not cutting it anymore, what games are you playing, how is it performing and using what settings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The G3258 has brutally bad minimum frames in most big newer games. Battlefield 4/Hardline, Witcher 3, GTA V, etc.

Even switching to an i3-4160 would be a major improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

The G3258 has brutally bad minimum frames in most big newer games. Battlefield 4/Hardline, Witcher 3, GTA V, etc.

Is that all down to the no HT? It's a pity that affects it so much, it's a great little chip apart from that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭lickme

Watch dogs, gta 5 etc it's just not good enough. Fps drops etc as you said. think I'll leave the graphics card till a new series comes out and put the moneg towards a xeon or 4670k. Anyone know what it's like overclocking 4670k on a h81 board?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭lickme

Gumbi wrote: »
    It's a pretty well balanced system. Not gonna be maxing out the latest games, but neither should it struggle. The CPU might be holding you be back in multi threaded games, but should be slaying dual threaded ones.

When you say it's not cutting it anymore, what games are you playing, how is it performing and using what settings?

Gta5 watchdogs witcher 3 far cry 4. And high to ultra settings. It's a good little CPU for games more than 8 months old.

Advertisement