Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking to - an Orthodox Jewish Irish woman

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Sadly Ireland and particularly Limerick wasn't one of those countries.
    We turned on Jews already here in 1904 who were fleeing persecution in Russia and later turned Jewish refugees away during the WW2. We had both anti Semitic policies and Government ministers.

The Limerick pograms are always wheeled out when talk comes round to Jewish persecution. And of course they can't be ignored. But we must also remember that so many Jews lived happily here amongst their neighbours, and prospered. If you read David Marcus's "Whoever heard of an Irish Jew", he describes growing up in Cork and integrating comfortably at school and with neighbours. In comparison to their numbers, we have had a significant representation of Jewish people in business and public life, notably in the Dáil.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

How many people you know would employ a Shabbas goy, if any?

Technology, especially electronic timers, means there's no need any more :-)

• Company Representative Posts: 25 Verified rep I'm an Orthodox Jewish Irish woman, AMA

Hi folks and shavua tov (a good week)!

Those who said that turning on a computer would be classed as work are indeed correct- any use of electricity (even turning on a light switch) is considered use of fire because of how the electrical currents are created. This is why we leave lights on for all of shabbat in the bathroom, kitchen and salon although some people use timers. We also have a timer on the air conditioning and platta (hot plate for heating up pre-cooked food).
    Neyite wrote: »
    You say you miss Barry's tea. Is it permitted to drink it, or is it just because you are abroad and cant get it there? Are there shops or restaurants you go to to get a taste of home? If so, what do you buy/order?
    Black tea is one of the few things that doesn't require a kashrut label, so I can happily drink tea without any problems! My mom sometimes posts me boxes, thankfully! Unfortunately there aren't any shops of restaurants with 'Irish style' food- and when I am in Ireland, I can't eat it either because it's not kosher. It was definitely one of the tougher things to keep during my last visit.
    If you could (hypothetically) choose one Irish tradition/ cultural thing for your Jewish community to adopt, what would you choose?
    Hm, that's a tough one. If I'm to choose from something traditionally Irish, I'd probably pick the music. Israelis love traditional Irish music when they're introduced to it. One guy in Tel Aviv that I introduced to trad music ordered Irish dancing shoes online a week later lol. Bless.

In terms of the Irish personality, I'd like to bring the Irish sense of humour (Jews are funny too, just a different kind of funny), laidback and chilled out approach to life and general patience and ability to see the positives in things.
    Is there anything Irish that your husband finds baffling /weird and cant get his head around?
    Ho ho yeah! Not sure if it's just my family or it's something generally Irish, but the inability to speak about difficult things and need for a 'pleasant atmosphere' at all costs really drives him mad. In Israel, if anything which remotely seems problematic arises, people argue about it then and there and close the matter very quickly. They literally return to being best buddies within a minute after what seems like a really dramatic argument- it's something that I find really bizarre.

When we visited my parents after our wedding and they didn't discuss the wedding and the personal difficulties they were facing with my decisions, my husband found it really hard to understand. They kept talking about the weather, relatives, etc but avoided the difficult topics. My husband ran out of patience and eventually asked them some very direct questions, and both burst into tears (yes, we felt terrible...) It's very difficult to change such an ingrained attitude, but I do think that this inability to talk about hard subjects is one of the reasons that the Catholic Church was able to get away with all the child abuse etc that it did.

Even when my husband does something which bothers or upsets me, I prefer to create a pleasant atmosphere and pretend it didn't happen. I think the more straightforward, confrontational Israeli way is much healthier mentally, but it can be draining sometimes.
    What's your mother-in-law like, really? ;)
    Oy, heh! You know, in Judaism there's a very strict prohibition against 'lashon hara' (talking badly about people). This is all I have to say on the subject lol.
    La_Gordy wrote: »
    I have a question for you about Jewish weddings. Yesterday I was invited to a Jewish wedding in England. I have only been to three weddings in my life (2 Irish, 1 Thai) so have very limited wedding experience. So I wondered if there are any particular do's and don'ts? From my understanding of my friend's interpretation of his faith, the wedding will be catered kosher. He doesn't wear the kippah daily but does observe Jewish holidays and frequently visits family and friends in Israel. Unfortunately I am unsure which branch of Jewish faith either him or his fiancee to adhere to. No worries if this is all too general for you to give any advice on.
    It sounds like this person might just be traditional rather than strictly religious, as usually having kosher food is a basic requirement in order for a Rabbi to agree to officiate. No dos or don'ts to worry about for such a wedding- apart from DO try all the food on offer :P

For a very strictly religious wedding, I'd recommend that a woman would wear something fairly modest. It doesn't need to be to Orthodox standards, but avoiding cleavage and thighs on show is appreciated. My husband invited a few female friends from before he was religious to our wedding, and I really appreciated that they made an effort to wear something modest.
    Just had a look there at the clothes Orthodox Jews wear, how do you cope with the heat, especially in summer seeing as from what I understand it's not really the done thing to wear t shirts and shorts etc?
    There's air conditioning in most places here and it's pretty unusual for anyone to wander around outside for too many hours- also for non-religious people, it's not advisable. I find that the long sleeves, high neckline, headscarf and long skirt actually protect me from the sun- the material one chooses is very important. My husband needs to wear a uniform most of the time anyway, but the same applies for him re the heat- long pants and a long sleeve shirt protect from the heat of the sun rather than being an inconvenience.
    Deranged96 wrote: »
    Having gone through a religious conversion yourself, and having experienced the anguish of people you love trying to undo your spiritual growth and stultify your religious journey: What would your reaction be to your child wishing to leave your religion/ live an alternative lifestyle and move back West?

Would you encounter a certain stigma if your children grew up to leave the faith?
    I'd definitely speak with them in depth about their decision and recommend that they do their research before taking upon themselves a different belief system. This is something my parents never did, because they didn't have enough religious knowledge to debate it. I feel that if a parent answers questions and makes their faith something joyful rather than being oppressive, their kids won't look elsewhere for fulfillment. If, G-d forbid, it did happen that they would choose to convert and move away I'd continue to pray for them but they'd always be my child and I'd continue to be there for them. I wouldn't be stigmatised at all because of my child's decision- if anything, people would offer to speak with my child and help them work their way though whatever spiritual difficulties they're encountering. But at the end of the day, the decision is theirs to make.
    Vojera wrote: »
    You mentioned before that a Jew can pray in a mosque but can't enter a Church. Why is that?

Why is Judaism a matrilineal faith?
    It's because Muslims believe in one G-d, whereas the Christian idea of G-d having a son etc is very problematic and is considered 'avodah zara' (basically idolatry). Catholic Churches are especially problematic, because of all the statues and paintings. I still don't understand how anyone can justify these things given the second commandment "You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth".
    Thanks for your comprehensive answer.
    It was actually Zechariah 12v10 I was thinking of.
    Its interesting to see the thinking of Israel hasnt changed in 2000 years, they were expecting Him to come and overthrow the Romans...a triumphant return is still wanted by Israel. Something that will happen when He comes from Heaven. A a Christian I believe He has come once as a man and will return again in glory to establish His Kingdom on earth.
    There isn't anything to suggest that there will be a second coming of the Mesisah- he is supposed to just come once, and in that time achieve everything that needs to be done. He is supposed to not create anything new (which is a sign of a false prophet) but rather lead people in following a life which upholds the tenants of the Torah, which we know that Yeshu publicly broke.
    The following are just a few of the prophecies regarding His coming. Isaiah 7.14.."a virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel."
    The original text in Hebrew translates as: "Therefore, the Lord, of His own, shall give you a sign; behold, the young woman is with child, and she shall bear a son, and she shall call his name Immanuel."
    - The Hebrew word 'עַלְמָה' (alma) is a young woman- a virgin is called a 'betula' בטולה -- for more information, see http://outreachjudaism.org/alma-virgin/
    - This is a reference to the story of Manoah’s wife, where an angel tells a previous barren woman that she will bear a son (Judges 13:3)
    Micah 5.2 refers to His birth in Bethlehem
    The quote: "But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are little among the thousands of Judah, out of you shall come forth to Me he who is to be ruler in Israel, and his origins are from of old, from ancient days. Therefore, He will give them up until the time when she who is in travail has brought forth; then the rest of his brethren shall return with the children of Israel."

- "Out of you shall come forth" does not mean that the Messiah will be born in Bethlehem, as the fathers of Christianity misinterpreted, but that he will descend from David, who was born there.

- "His origins are from of old, from ancient days"-This denotes the great time span from David, who lived 2,900 years ago, until the Messiah comes.

- "Therefore, He will give them up until the time when she who is in travail has brought forth" - The Jewish people will remain in exile until the Land of Israel repopulates itself with them
    Isaiah 53, His rejection by Israel.
    Isaiah is indisputably speaking about the Jews' return to Jerusalem at the beginning of the Messianic Era. Beginning with the next verse (52:13), however, missionaries claim that the subject under discussion suddenly changes from the nation of Israel to Yeshu. Yet the prophet's main themes clearly remain:

1) Israel's role as a suffering people.
    2) Israel's gradual and astonishing rise to glory and splendor.
    3) The nations' (non-Jews') acknowledgment of their sins against Israel.
    Psalm 41.9 of His betrayal
    I think you're referring to 41.10: "Even my ally, in whom I trusted, who eats my bread, developed an ambush for me."
    - This Psalm speaks generally about G-d's loving closeness to man, even in the most hopeless of circumstances- a theme which is constantly recurring in the psalms.
    - Prior to this verse, the Psalmist begs: "O L-rd, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against You." (41.5) As stated, the New Testament claims that Jesus was sinless. Nonetheless, it attributes this verse to him.
    - Bread is the staple of a Jewish meal and sharing bread is a general symbol of friendship which is most definitely not unique to Yeshu's last supper.
    Psalm 22 of His death
    This psalm is a prophetic prayer for Israel's deliverance from future exiles. Through the psalm, the Jewish people are referred to collectively in the singular. I recommend reading Rashi's commentary, as it's too time consuming for me to go through the whole thing: http://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/16243/jewish/Chapter-22.htm#showrashi=true
    Psalm 16.10 of His resurrection.
    The quote: "For You will not abandon my soul to the lower world, or allow Your godly one to see destruction."

In this Psalm, King David joyously proclaims his trust in G-d:

"Therefore my heart rejoices and my soul is elated; my flesh also will rest assured." (Psalms 16:9)
    "You will reveal to me the path of life; in Your presence there is fullness of joy, and delight at Your right hand forevermore." (Psalms 16:11)

Although David is speaking on his own behalf, the New Testament claims that the verse under discussion is prophesying the "resurrection" of Jesus from hell (Acts 13:35)!

This Psalm doesn't speak about resurrection of the Messiah at all.
    Psalm 68 His ascension
    The quote: "The chariots of G-d are myriads, even thousands upon thousands; the L-rd is among them, Sinai in holiness. You ascended on high, you have taken captives, you have received gifts for man, in order that even rebels may dwell with G-d.

These verses, written in the past tense, refer to the revelation at Mount Sinai:
    The "gifts" for mankind were the Ten Commandments given to Moses:

Exodus 24:12 --
    The L-rd said to Moses: "Come up to Me on the mountain and wait there; and I will give you the tablets of stone with the law and the commandment, which I have written for their instruction."

He received them among the "rebels" who made the golden calf:

Exodus 32:15, 19 --
    And Moses turned and descended from the mountain, and the two Tablets of the Testimony were in his hand....As soon as he came near the camp, he saw the calf and the dancing....

"Dwell with G-d" echoes:
    Exodus 29:45 --
    And I will dwell among the children of Israel and be their G-d.

Other verses in Psalms chapter 68 confirm that the subject of the passage under discussion is indeed Moses on Mount Sinai:

Psalms 68:8--9 --
    O G-d, when You went forth before Your nation, when You marched through the wilderness, Selah. The earth quaked, the heavens dropped at the presence of G-d; even Sinai [trembled] at the presence of G-d, the G-d of Israel.

This is alluding to:
    Exodus 13.21--22 --
    And the L-rd went before them by day in a pillar of cloud, to lead them along the way, and by night in a pillar of fire, to give them light; in order that they might travel by day and by night. Neither the pillar of cloud by day nor the pillar of fire by night did He remove from before the people.

Exodus 19:18 --
    And Mount Sinai smoked in every part because the L-rd descended upon it in fire; and the smoke of it ascended like the smoke of a furnace, and the whole mountain quaked greatly.
    Sapphire3 wrote: »
    Is it true that Jewish people are baptised with two names. One name for everyday use and another name that is just used within the Synagogue?

Can you recommend any good books for me to read in order learn more about the Jewish way of life and their beliefs, perhaps about the Torah and the culture etc. Just to satisfy my curiosity, because I enjoy reading about different religions and cultures. Can you recommend any books? Especially for someone like me who hardly knows anything about Jewish Culture or beliefs? Thank you.
    Jews don't get baptised, but when referring to a person who is alive, we call them up to the Torah and pray for them by their full Hebrew name: (first name) ben/bat (mother's name). When they have died, we pray for them by their full Hebrew name, but with the father's name: (first name) ben/bat (father's name). 'Bat' is for a female, and 'Ben' is for a male. I think by 2 names you mean people who choose not to use their Hebrew name is daily life, which is much more common outside of Israel. In Israel, people's Hebrew first name is generally what people call them on a daily basis.

For sure! Books I read for my conversion at the beginning were:
    - "To Be A Jew" Hayim H. Donin
    - "This is My G-d" Herman Wouk
    Enjoy! :)
    There are lots of old people here who have Filipinos etc working for them, but more so for the same reason they're employed in such positions in Ireland (it's cheaper) than them being some kind of Shabbos goy. It happens every now and then that people forget to do something before shabbat in their preparation and it's useful to find a non-Jew to help out.

For example, my husband during his single days forgot to unscrew the lightbulb from the fridge. We need to do this before shabbat, or else every time we open the fridge we turn on the light. So he visited his elderly neighbours who have a Filipino lady working for them and hinted that he'd appreciate it if she could do it. According to Jewish law, it's forbidden to ask even a non-Jew directly to do something- it has to be through hints.

Before I fully converted, I used to help out my adoptive family too- for example, their grandson knocked over and accidentally turned off the fan during a heatwave. I could just plug it in again (it was pretty convenient!)

I've never heard of someone employing a shabbat goy- it's really a last resort, as bypassing laws like that negatively impacts the atmosphere of shabbat.

It's because Muslims believe in one G-d, whereas the Christian idea of G-d having a son etc is very problematic and is considered 'avodah zara' (basically idolatry)...

I've never heard of someone employing a shabbat goy- it's really a last resort, as bypassing laws like that negatively impacts the atmosphere of shabbat.

I thought you were raised a Roman Catholic. Were you not taught that Christians believe in one God? The Trinity may be complex, but fundamentally it's one God. The Nicene Creed says it in the first line. "I believe in one God".

You may have timers now and leave lights on, instead of employing a non-Jew to turn things on, but is either way not cheating? If you really believe you shouldn't be turning things on, why not do without them for one day? Don't you think that "turning on" the light in the fridge by opening it is taking the idea of not working a bit too far? Why is everything so literal?

I'm not trying to be negative or confrontational. I'm genuinely baffled as to how this works...how you can take things so literally. I find it hard to believe that God would be so petty as to be worried about the light in a fridge!

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 25 Verified rep I'm an Orthodox Jewish Irish woman, AMA

katydid wrote: »
    I thought you were raised a Roman Catholic. Were you not taught that Christians believe in one God? The Trinity may be complex, but fundamentally it's one God. The Nicene Creed says it in the first line. "I believe in one God".
    The Christian notion of 'one G-d' is very different to how Judaism understands it. One G-d with 3 parts is simply incompatible with general monotheistic belief (as Islam also can concur). Christians say "I believe in one G-d" but follow it with "father of the Almighty". Even by praying to Yeshu, Mary, or anyone else in that area, people are already attributing partners to G-d.
    You may have timers now and leave lights on, instead of employing a non-Jew to turn things on, but is either way not cheating? If you really believe you shouldn't be turning things on, why not do without them for one day? Don't you think that "turning on" the light in the fridge by opening it is taking the idea of not working a bit too far? Why is everything so literal?

I'm not trying to be negative or confrontational. I'm genuinely baffled as to how this works...how you can take things so literally. I find it hard to believe that God would be so petty as to be worried about the light in a fridge!

It's not a matter of taking things too literally, it's about reading what G-d has given us, interpreting it correctly and applying it to our lives. My parents also harp on about how our beliefs are 'extreme' etc but the fact is that we're simply living our lives in accordance with very clear principles. I think that Judaism is sometimes hard for Catholics to understand because it's a lifestyle and not just something that happens for half an hour each week.

The use of timers isn't cheating- there's nothing misleading about it and it in no way contravenes Jewish law. The purpose of shabbat and Judaism in general isn't to make people suffer or work harder unnecessarily. Nobody expects Jews to sit in darkness and eat cold food for shabbat- quite the opposite, shabbat is a time for increased joy and pleasure. Eating hot food is a mitzvah (positive deed) on shabbat. We are encouraged to take advantages advances in technology to achieve this, and as long as it doesn't interfere with the atmosphere and spirit of shabbat, I see no reason why not to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 madame rouge

Shalom! I'm really enjoying your informative posts. I'm an Irish convert to Islam and really respect your dedication to your faith. There really are so many similarities in the basic beliefs of Islam and Judaism although I think Islam is a lot more straight forward and easy to practice. All the best for the rest of the pregnancy and may God guide us all on the on right path.

The Christian notion of 'one G-d' is very different to how Judaism understands it. One G-d with 3 parts is simply incompatible with general monotheistic belief (as Islam also can concur). Christians say "I believe in one G-d" but follow it with "father of the Almighty". Even by praying to Yeshu, Mary, or anyone else in that area, people are already attributing partners to G-d.

It's not a matter of taking things too literally, it's about reading what G-d has given us, interpreting it correctly and applying it to our lives. My parents also harp on about how our beliefs are 'extreme' etc but the fact is that we're simply living our lives in accordance with very clear principles. I think that Judaism is sometimes hard for Catholics to understand because it's a lifestyle and not just something that happens for half an hour each week.

The use of timers isn't cheating- there's nothing misleading about it and it in no way contravenes Jewish law. The purpose of shabbat and Judaism in general isn't to make people suffer or work harder unnecessarily. Nobody expects Jews to sit in darkness and eat cold food for shabbat- quite the opposite, shabbat is a time for increased joy and pleasure. Eating hot food is a mitzvah (positive deed) on shabbat. We are encouraged to take advantages advances in technology to achieve this, and as long as it doesn't interfere with the atmosphere and spirit of shabbat, I see no reason why not to use them.

I know it's different, but it's still one God.... Just a more complex idea of God. But then the Jewish idea of God, as you said yourself, is more complex than it may seem on the surface.

All religions are lifestyles. Christianity requires that you live in a certain way; the difference to Judaism and Islam is that it is more of an internal thing than depending on outside practices. It's about living as Christ asked us to, spreading his word and behaving as he wants us to. Christians don't feel they have to wear certain clothes or do certain things. I'm not saying that's bettor or worse, but Christianity IS a lifestyle.

Sorry, but I'm not convinced that using timers isn't cheating. Presumably the idea of the sabbath was to have one day in the week where people stepped back from the everyday and focused on God. That was also the idea of the Christian Sunday, but many Christians have lost the focus on that particular idea. Jesus said that the sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath, which is saying that you have to have some common sense. He said, for example, that if your ox was thirsty, you should bring it to the water on the sabbath. (This was said in the context of him being criticised for curing someone on the sabbath). I genuinely find it hard to believe that God really is bothered whether you switch on a light or not. If you see no problem with advances in technology, why not just switch on the light? Light switches is an advance in technology from oil lamps. ;)

Just my opinion...

Shalom! I'm really enjoying your informative posts. I'm an Irish convert to Islam and really respect your dedication to your faith. There really are so many similarities in the basic beliefs of Islam and Judaism although I think Islam is a lot more straight forward and easy to practice. All the best for the rest of the pregnancy and may God guide us all on the on right path.

Amen! Many thanks for your kind wishes! I actually have a lot of interaction with Arab Muslim women through my work and have noticed how remarkably similar the religions are. I actually had a pretty funny conversation on Friday morning with one lady who complained about having to cook an iftar meal and I moaned about cooking a shabbat meal the same night!

I know it's different, but it's still one God.... Just a more complex idea of God. But then the Jewish idea of God, as you said yourself, is more complex than it may seem on the surface.

All religions are lifestyles. Christianity requires that you live in a certain way; the difference to Judaism and Islam is that it is more of an internal thing than depending on outside practices. It's about living as Christ asked us to, spreading his word and behaving as he wants us to. Christians don't feel they have to wear certain clothes or do certain things. I'm not saying that's bettor or worse, but Christianity IS a lifestyle.

Sorry, but I'm not convinced that using timers isn't cheating. Presumably the idea of the sabbath was to have one day in the week where people stepped back from the everyday and focused on God. That was also the idea of the Christian Sunday, but many Christians have lost the focus on that particular idea. Jesus said that the sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath, which is saying that you have to have some common sense. He said, for example, that if your ox was thirsty, you should bring it to the water on the sabbath. (This was said in the context of him being criticised for curing someone on the sabbath). I genuinely find it hard to believe that God really is bothered whether you switch on a light or not. If you see no problem with advances in technology, why not just switch on the light? Light switches is an advance in technology from oil lamps. ;)

Just my opinion...

I appreciate you taking the time to express your opinion, and still disagree with you, but I'd rather we kept this to a Q&A session rather than a debate about personal opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...Christians say "I believe in one G-d" but follow it with "father of the Almighty"....

It's "the Father, the Almighty.". The Old Testament Yahweh-God was a rather more straightforward character when it came to getting the point across. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

It sounds like this person might just be traditional rather than strictly religious, as usually having kosher food is a basic requirement in order for a Rabbi to agree to officiate. No dos or don'ts to worry about for such a wedding- apart from DO try all the food on offer :P

For a very strictly religious wedding, I'd recommend that a woman would wear something fairly modest. It doesn't need to be to Orthodox standards, but avoiding cleavage and thighs on show is appreciated. My husband invited a few female friends from before he was religious to our wedding, and I really appreciated that they made an effort to wear something modest.

Hello! Thank you for your advice! I have not been blessed with good cleavage or thighs but your response does have me wondering if my 'party dress' would indeed be considered appropriate. I will pass on your insights to my colleague that is also invited. Grateful for the heads up :)

Can I ask, outwith your Torah study and the pro-active approach to learning - is there reading and so on you can do to zone out? Forgive me if this has been answered before, but just from reading your answers I understood yourself and your husband are very proactive in learning for leisure. So my wonder is, is there a reading for leisure? Ahm personally a big fan of contemporary fiction. I haven't read any Israeli contemporary fiction but ahm sure it exists. However, would this be something you would read or, if there was no focus on Judaism, would it not be on your reading list?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 starrlyte

Hi OJIW!

I just wanted to come on here and say you're not alone! I'm Irish (Dublin born and bred until I was 17), moved to Boston when I was 21 and soon after started babysitting for an amazing frum family.

I was hit with an overwhelming sense of "... but that makes sense to me! I want to do that too!", and even though it took me a LONG time to figure out where I "fit in", it's now several years, 5 meetings with the beit din, two trips to Israel and a summer program at a seminary in Har Nof later (not Neve!), and I've officially been given the "green light" to work out a mikva date! (Just waiting for logistics, getting the 3 of them in the same place at the same time is hard over the summer!).

It's been one of the most intense, challenging and meaningful experiences of my life.

I'm here cheering you on, appreciating your kind, thoughtful and conscientious answer to people's questions. I was home in December, and it was one of the first times in a LONG time I was glad not to be fully "official". Maybe we can connect off here and start a support group..!

Anyway, yishar kocheich for doing this, and wishing you much hatslacha (and b'sha'ah tovah, so exciting!!).
    - future-Irish-gioret <3

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Very interesting so far!

My questions; what are the religious and cultural expectations, requirements and norms when it comes to raising children?

Are there any traditions surrounding birth?

Have you got names picked or will you wait to meet your baby?

In some cultures, women are encouraged to stay in their home for a few weeks after childbirth. To fully recover and get to know their new baby. Is this the case for you? Will you have to observe any rituals or Practices immediately after birth?

How does your husband feel about you participating in this Q&A?

Very best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy. :)

I appreciate you taking the time to express your opinion, and still disagree with you, but I'd rather we kept this to a Q&A session rather than a debate about personal opinions.
    Sorry, but it's important that if you make misleading statements, that they be corrected. Questions and answers are all very well, but it's important to be accurate.
    You said that Judaism is a way of life, and Christianity is only for an hour a week; that is wrong, and very insulting to practising Christians. Just because Christianity is more internalised, and doesn't involves rituals and practices about clothing, food etc. doesn't mean it isn't a way of life. I am a Christian, and I don't just practice my religion for an hour on Sunday, I do my best to live it every day in how I act, and how I interact with others..

It is also wrong to suggest that Christianity is a polytheist religion. It is, and states clearly in its tenets, that it is monotheistic, just like Judaism. We believe in ONE GOD. WE state so clearly in our creeds. The doctrine of the Trinity is about different aspects of God, the Creator, the Redeemer and the Inspirer. As you yourself said, the Jewish view of God is also complex, using different names for different aspects.

I am happy to read the questions and your answers, but please try, in describing your own religion, not to disparage others...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If I might ask a question about the Sabbath and it's observance. Certinly in bygone decades, amongst Protestant families, in farming circles,(1900's) Sunday would mean only the bare essentials of animal husbandry being carried out. Milking primarily. Feeding etc would be completed as far as possible on Saturday, etc. In my great grandfather's day they would walk to church as harnessing the horse/pony would be considered unnecessary work.
    What is the situation amongst farmers of your branch of Judaism? And indeed amongst members of public services?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just my opinion...

However this thread isn't about your opinion, it's for people to ask the participant about her religion and lifestyle. So maybe you can just leave it at that. Thanks.

Zaph wrote: »
    However this thread isn't about your opinion, it's for people to ask the participant about her religion and lifestyle. So maybe you can just leave it at that. Thanks.
    I can, now I've corrected what she said wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Great thread.
    In reference to my question as to whether you believed in creationism as taught in the old testament you, to be fair, sidestepped answering the question (which is your right to do) by saying that everything in the Torah is not to be taken literally.
    As you believe that the Torah is the direct word of G-d and clearly take much of it very literally, who decides what parts G-d meant literally?

It seems like a very bold action for man to interpret some of G-d's words literally and others not so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,725 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

@IAOJIW: re the use of the title-word GOD, is it OK for it to be spoken in English (or any language) by anyone of the Hebrew faith?

The background of this question: this is in connection with the Royal Hospital Kilmainham War and UN service dead remembrance ceremony which had representatives of the various religions here - incl your's - giving prayers/addresses/homilies including that word.

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

I've removed some off-topic posts. Katydid, we've heard enough about your views on Judaism, please do not post in this thread again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I think the biggest deal breaker for me was that Catholicism just doesn't encourage intellectual learning. It always felt like 'do it because the priest said so.' In Judaism, there's so much argument and so many questions- learning is a way of life. I go to classes on Judaism up to 5 times a week, because it's truly fascinating. My husband learns even more (although he is employed full time too). It's what we talk about at the kitchen table and it's what guides all of our decisions in life. If we're not sure on something, we can even text our rabbi- something that happens pretty frequently. If we're having issues in our marriage, we go to talk with him too. It's a very close community and truly a way of life.
    Ahh but you see, this is the issue. If we decide to only follow the laws which seem logical and applicable to us, we're already not doing them for the sake of G-d. We're doing them because we feel that we're entitled to some underlying benefit, and if we don't benefit personally then we have the authority to cast them off. Science is continually unravelling reasons for the laws of kashrut and other Jewish practices which otherwise seemed bizarre and irrelevant. But finding reasons for these laws is unnecessary. We do these things because we're Jews and that's what G-d wants from us-- full stop. It doesn't matter how we feel about them or how inconvenient they are, someone with true fear of heaven will know that it is enough that this is what G-d has commanded.

I agree that life is too short. That's why I really wanted to invest in the short time I have here by complying 100% with all that G-d wants from me. Because who knows better than my creator what is best for me?

I find your two statements above interesting, and (to my mind) contradictory and I'd like to hear your opinion on how you reconcile them. On the one hand you say that Judaism encourages questioning, but then on the other you say that you need to comply 100% with the teachings no matter how inconvenient. When you question a teaching that seems illogical is it a satisfying enough answer for you to hear "that's just the way G-d told us to do it" ?

Another question, which may be a bit too close to the political side of things for you to answer, in which case, fair enough. But when you hear criticism of Israel do you take that as anti-Semitism, or can you separate in your head that anti-Israel only means people being against the current government's policies, and is not the same thing as anti-Israelis, or anti-Sematic?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

This is very interesting!
    Could you tell us a little more about Shabat? Particularly what is not allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Thanks for your comprehensive answer to my question.
    Sadly, it just confirms what Isaiah said, "Hear ye indeed, but understand not; and see ye indeed, but perceive not."

With regard to the misbelief that Christians believe in polytheism. It couldn't be further from the truth. While I disagree with the idolatry found in many branches of Christendom, even the Old Testament refers to the plurality of God. The very use of the name Elhoim is a plurality.

Indeed in the creation account in Genesis says "Let Us make man in Our image". When God judged Adam, He said "Behold, the man has become like one of Us....".
    Also when God judged mankind at Babel , He said, "Let Us go down and confuse their language"down.

Daniel himself refers to the Son of Man and the Ancient of Days saying.... ""I kept looking in the night visions, And behold, with the clouds of heaven One like a Son of Man was coming, And He came up to the Ancient of Days And was presented before Him. "And to Him was given dominion, Glory and a kingdom, That all the peoples, nations, and men of every language Might serve Him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion Which will not pass away; And His kingdom is one Which will not be destroyed."

Again the creation account says that it was the "Spirit of God moving over the surface of the waters". Then of course there are the numerous references to the "Spirit of God".

Joel even says that God would pour His "Spirit on all people" something I personally saw fulfilled over 30 years ago

As a Christian of over 30 years( I wasn't always) I can read the whole Bible and understand it in its completeness. Granted, you'll say I'm not reading it correctly or understanding the nuances of the original languages - most of my study is with reference to the original languages, but I can see the whole picture from creation through to His triumphant return and reign.

While its admirable that you have embraced the Jewish Faith, even breaking one law is breaking the law and a burden which even Israel cannot carry.
    Yeshua came to fulfill the law not destroy it, He came as the ultimate Sacrifice to reconcile man with God, something the continuous temple sacrifices couldn't do. It all pointed to Him and having fulfilled the law in Himself, He ushered in an era of grace where it was possible for all to know Him.

Most of my understanding of Judaism comes from reading Jonathan Kellermans "The ritual bath". A crime thriller, so I may be sadly misinformed about many aspects........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

hi O.J.I.W,

great thread ,thanks for your candid opinions and sharing your experience with us. Fascinating thread.

I would imagine that living the orthodox life-style has many rewards ( community ,connection , built trust through shared experiences and more).

I can't help wondering about the punishments required for breaking the rules. Do you feel a little " insured" by the supremacy of the state laws?

For example, if the state afforded a town in which you could live and express your beliefs without interference, would you feel able to apply the required punishments for breaches of the laws that you feel duty bound to obey?

I'd like to preface this general response with the following; I left Catholicism and Christianity. It is very obvious that one does not do this because they are satisfied with its tenants and teachings. If someone takes offence to my opinions about Christianity or Catholicism, then quite frankly I don't care. People are asking my perspective as a Jewish woman and I am giving it to them as honestly and as comprehensively as my time will allow. If it's leaving a bad taste in your mouth, then perhaps your interests would be better served by speaking to a Christian.
    Lucy8080 wrote: »
    I can't help wondering about the punishments required for breaking the rules. Do you feel a little " insured" by the supremacy of the state laws?

For example, if the state afforded a town in which you could live and express your beliefs without interference, would you feel able to apply the required punishments for breaches of the laws that you feel duty bound to obey?
    Thanks for your question Lucy. All the punishments set out by G-d will only become applicable once the Temple will be rebuilt. So even if the State of Israel became a theocracy, it would still not be able to impose such punishments until the rebuilding of the Temple (which will happen when the Messiah comes and brings about perfection in the world in any case).

But even if we implemented of these laws, it was extremely rare for the 'harsher' punishments such as the death penalty to be carried out because of the many, many preconditions necessary. Harsh sentences require numerous witnesses to the sin itself and forewarning in advance by a number of individuals before a person can be found liable.

In the Mishnah it is stated that a Beit Din (Rabbinical court) which imposes the death penalty once in 70 years is considered 'bloody'. This really does show the Jewish outlook on the sanctity of human life- that even one execution in 70 years is enough to cause national trauma.
    Thanks for your comprehensive answer to my question.
    Sadly, it just confirms what Isaiah said, "Hear ye indeed, but understand not; and see ye indeed, but perceive not."
    Ok, I understand that you think that I'm still ignorant, but I think this is the reason that you're a Christian and I'm a Jew. Personally I feel that Christianity has based a great deal of its beliefs on misquoting and misinterpreting the bible, in particular taking sentences out of context and twisting them to fit an overall agenda. At the end of the day, Yeshu basically told people that all the laws of the 'old' testament were null and void and that he was establishing a new covenant. This is the antithesis of what the Messiah will do, and a classic sign of a false prophet.
    With regard to the misbelief that Christians believe in polytheism. It couldn't be further from the truth. While I disagree with the idolatry found in many branches of Christendom, even the Old Testament refers to the plurality of God. The very use of the name Elhoim is a plurality.
    'Elohim' is one of the names of G-d (although not the most sacred name). It is indeed plural- as is the Hebrew word for 'water' and 'life'. Elohim, like all of the other names for G-d, represents a specific attribute He encompasses and a different way in which He manifests himself in the world. Like a woman can be a mother, wife, doctor and friend all at once, G-d can have many ways of revealing Himself to us. 'Elohim' is primarily used as G-d's name in Genesis and relates to how G-d has manifested Himself in nature - a place where he is found everywhere and His oneness is scattered among every part of creation.
    Indeed in the creation account in Genesis says "Let Us make man in Our image". When God judged Adam, He said "Behold, the man has become like one of Us....".
    Also when God judged mankind at Babel , He said, "Let Us go down and confuse their language"down.
    I've lost you here. Yes, G-d gave various languages, but the language he gave us the Torah in is His sacred language and only by reading the original can one ever unveil the secrets of His works.
    And yes, man is created in the image of G-d but this represents that each person has an inherent G-dliness and spark of G-d within him. This in no way relates to the creation of idols.
    Daniel himself refers to the Son of Man and the Ancient of Days saying.... ""I kept looking in the night visions, And behold, with the clouds of heaven One like a Son of Man was coming, And He came up to the Ancient of Days And was presented before Him. "And to Him was given dominion, Glory and a kingdom, That all the peoples, nations, and men of every language Might serve Him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion Which will not pass away; And His kingdom is one Which will not be destroyed."

Again the creation account says that it was the "Spirit of God moving over the surface of the waters". Then of course there are the numerous references to the "Spirit of God".

Joel even says that God would pour His "Spirit on all people" something I personally saw fulfilled over 30 years ago

As a Christian of over 30 years( I wasn't always) I can read the whole Bible and understand it in its completeness. Granted, you'll say I'm not reading it correctly or understanding the nuances of the original languages - most of my study is with reference to the original languages, but I can see the whole picture from creation through to His triumphant return and reign.

While its admirable that you have embraced the Jewish Faith, even breaking one law is breaking the law and a burden which even Israel cannot carry.
    Yeshua came to fulfill the law not destroy it, He came as the ultimate Sacrifice to reconcile man with God, something the continuous temple sacrifices couldn't do. It all pointed to Him and having fulfilled the law in Himself, He ushered in an era of grace where it was possible for all to know Him.
    Ultimately, this returns to my original statement- that a person who comes to create something new from G-d's word and reinvent His tenants is ultimately a false prophet. I believe that poor scholarship and misinterpretation is at the core of Christianity, and while I can continue to refute these quotes which have been taken out of their original context and translated (often poorly and by Christians with an agenda) into a foreign language, I think that the best thing any Christian seeking the truth can do is learn the original Hebrew and invest time in reading commentaries such as those of Rashi who provide rich and exact explanations of the original text.
    Daisy 55 wrote: »
    This is very interesting!
    Could you tell us a little more about Shabat? Particularly what is not allowed.
    On shabbat, we are forbidden from performing any of the 39 melachot (found here: http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/102032/jewish/The-39-Melachot.htm) which are the forms of work used when building the Mishkan. There are also additional prohibitions called 'toldot' which are different from the forms of work used to build the Mishkan, but basically achieve the same result. Then there are also prohibitions instated by the Rabbis, often to create a fence around the Torah and prevent people from coming close to breaking a biblical prohibition. The punishment for breaking a biblical prohibition is more severe than breaking a rabbinic prohibition. Practically speaking, on shabbat some of the prohibitions that directly affect me are that I can't use electricity, drive, cook, apply makeup, write, etc. Basically, these are all actions of creation in some form of another, and on Shabbat we remember that G-d is the ultimate creator by taking a break from all actions of creation and allowing Him to be the one creator.
    quickbeam wrote: »
    I find your two statements above interesting, and (to my mind) contradictory and I'd like to hear your opinion on how you reconcile them. On the one hand you say that Judaism encourages questioning, but then on the other you say that you need to comply 100% with the teachings no matter how inconvenient. When you question a teaching that seems illogical is it a satisfying enough answer for you to hear "that's just the way G-d told us to do it" ?
    We continually question and argue about ideas in Judaism, but only to reach a higher truth and understanding, not to say "well, I think it's wrong so I won't do it." Ultimately we need to let go of our egos and admit that we don't know anything and G-d is beyond our understanding. This doesn't mean we should stop asking questions, but it does mean that I can't stop keeping shabbat simply because I don' agree with it. Great Jewish scholars and rabbis are constantly in disagreement with one another. The Talmud is basically one big long argument. But this is not intended to be blasphemous and they are arguing with one another on interpretation, not with G-d Himself.
    quickbeam wrote: »
    Another question, which may be a bit too close to the political side of things for you to answer, in which case, fair enough. But when you hear criticism of Israel do you take that as anti-Semitism, or can you separate in your head that anti-Israel only means people being against the current government's policies, and is not the same thing as anti-Israelis, or anti-Sematic?
    As this is edging close to the political field, I will keep this short and to the point. It is clear to anyone that Israel receives much more criticism than a great deal of other countries. It has recently been quite clearly illustrated in this video about the Irish boycott on Israeli produce.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YynbsN3X4qQ&spfreload=10
    Personally, I don't see how this blatant double standard can come from anywhere other than Antisemitism. While I agree that it is necessary to question the actions of the government etc, I believe that what is happening in the world today is completely disproportionate and reflective of the continuing reality of peoples' inexplicable hatred of the Jews, no matter where they are.
    aloyisious wrote: »
    @IAOJIW: re the use of the title-word GOD, is it OK for it to be spoken in English (or any language) by anyone of the Hebrew faith?
    For sure! In English, we can say 'G-d' or 'Hashem' but we are just not allowed to use the four letter name of G-d.
    Great thread.
    In reference to my question as to whether you believed in creationism as taught in the old testament you, to be fair, sidestepped answering the question (which is your right to do) by saying that everything in the Torah is not to be taken literally.
    As you believe that the Torah is the direct word of G-d and clearly take much of it very literally, who decides what parts G-d meant literally?

It seems like a very bold action for man to interpret some of G-d's words literally and others not so.
    The Rabbis and great Torah scholars are in charge of interpreting the Torah. Sometimes the Torah employs poetic language such as in the Song of Songs, other times it provides a list of prohibitions such as in certain sections of Deuteronomy. It is usually clear by looking at the greater context of the work which is applicable.
    Nekarsulm wrote: »
    If I might ask a question about the Sabbath and it's observance. Certinly in bygone decades, amongst Protestant families, in farming circles,(1900's) Sunday would mean only the bare essentials of animal husbandry being carried out. Milking primarily. Feeding etc would be completed as far as possible on Saturday, etc. In my great grandfather's day they would walk to church as harnessing the horse/pony would be considered unnecessary work.
    What is the situation amongst farmers of your branch of Judaism? And indeed amongst members of public services?
    The Christian idea of Sunday as a day of rest is very different to that of the Jewish shabbat. I've included in this overall post an explanation of the Shabbat prohibitions, and while a number of the prohibitions you noted are true also for Jews, Christianity has overall decided that the biblical prohibitions that Jews abide by are null and void because Yeshu decided to basically scrap them.
    Religious farmers cannot do any farming work on shabbat, although some lenient farmers employ means to milk cows without breaking prohibitions by using modern techniques. I don't drink this kind of milk, as we have stricter standards for kashrut. But when it comes to feeding animals, not only must a person feed their animals on shabbat (but only their animals and not those of others) but they're obliged to feed their animals before they feed themselves!
    Those in the public services cannot work on shabbat unless it's for reasons of 'pikuah nefesh' (saving a life)- these are generally regarded as being those involved in administering medical treatment and also security (the police, army etc).
    Whispered wrote: »
    My questions; what are the religious and cultural expectations, requirements and norms when it comes to raising children?

Are there any traditions surrounding birth?

Have you got names picked or will you wait to meet your baby?

In some cultures, women are encouraged to stay in their home for a few weeks after childbirth. To fully recover and get to know their new baby. Is this the case for you? Will you have to observe any rituals or Practices immediately after birth?

How does your husband feel about you participating in this Q&A?

Very best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy. :)
    Many thanks! :) Judaism has very beautiful traditions relating to the birth and raising of children.

When a baby boy is born, his father recites a blessing of thanksgiving. It is customary that the night before his Brit Milah (circumcision) children are invited to the home to recite the words of "Shema Yisrael" (the primary prayer of Judaism which attests G-d's oneness) in his presence. Children are, of course, encouraged to come by providing sweets for the occasion :P This is because of the purity of the prayers of children. It is also customary to study Torah in the home of the baby before the event. There are more customs for the Brit Milah than I have time to write about, but in short it's a very moving ceremony in which a baby boy is accepted into the covenant of Abraham.

For the birth of a girl, the father also recites a blessing of thanksgiving and the baby has a naming ceremony the following shabbat which includes a festive meal after prayers. The shabbat after a baby's birth is when their name is publicly announced and also, if the mother is well enough to come to the synagogue, she recites the 'Birkat HaGomel' which is said after one survives a life threatening experience (a danger which is more true of childbirth in the past than in modern days- thankfully!).

At the age of 3, a boy receives his first haircut and (particularly in hasidic circles) is left with short hair and payot (curls by the ears) based on the biblical prohibition of cutting the hairs on the corners of a man's face. He learns the alphabet and Torah for the first time at 3 years old and it's a very momentous occasion. Girls are continually encouraged to study the Torah, but they are not obliged to do so to the same extent as boys, for fear that obliging her in Torah study would interfere with her ability to raise her children and take care of her home.

I've been thinking about names, but ultimately people wait til the birth and even until the shabbat after the birth to publicly announce anything.

For birth itself, the husband cannot see the woman's opening (as is true when he has relations with her in general) but he can be there to support her (although not touch her, due to the prohibitions of 'taharat mishpacha' which I explained earlier in this thread). Birth is much the same as for anyone else, although there are some 'segulot' (auspicious practices) which are sometimes followed. There are prayers for an easy birth, and often women keep a prayer book or book of psalms under her pillow in the hospital. It is also believed that giving charity will help to progress the labour.

During pregnancy itself, a woman should give more charity, be even more strict in her observance of kashrut and go to more classes in Torah so that the baby will be influenced as well. In the 9th month it is common practice for her husband to open the 'aron kodesh' (place where the torah scrolls are kept) and for a woman to immerse in the mikveh (ritual bath).

Judaism doesn't specify a certain time for maternity leave (although the state of Israel has a 14 week minimum). However, women are encouraged to breastfeed for as long as possible, not just for reasons of health but also because it is believed that women can influence their child and his characteristics through her milk. A tradition (although not a rule or Halacha) is that women breastfeed until the child is 24 months old. However, if a woman is for any reason unable to breastfeed, there is absolutely no problem in her not doing so.

My husband doesn't feel strongly either way about my participation. While of course he wishes me to keep certain matters pertaining to us and his job private, he also acknowledged that these questions have been quite thought provoking, as we've been thinking about many things we usually took for granted. So it's really been a very positive thing in terms of solidifying our own beliefs.

Just heading off for a day in Jerusalem, wishing everyone the best and thanks for all the great questions!

Thank you. That's fascinating.
    But are these activities forbidden in all contexts? Smoothing for instance? Is it only forbidden in relation to work?
    What about recreational activities? If a hobby includes a forbidden activity, is it allowed then?

Off topic, Daisy, but what is "Smoothing" ?
    Surely no Jew is going to be plastering their house on the Sabbath anyway?

• Advertisement

I Don't know, but I thought of fabric, cloth or tablecloth?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement