Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kitten litter - advice needed

• 06-07-2015 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi,

A friend just got a kitten and needs help figuring out the best cost effective litter option.
    What would you recommend?

Thanks,
    Filipa

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Wood pellets; buy them in the stores for burning in an oven rather than the pet section (same stuff but 5x more expensive in the pet section).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

This is what we use for our 4. It's the best we've found. The cats love it, it's flushable and compostable and also much lighter in the bin than other litters we've tried.

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/cat_litter/cats_best/127214?gclid=CK_FhprQxsYCFQSw2wodGqIJlw

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Nody wrote: »
    Wood pellets; buy them in the stores for burning in an oven rather than the pet section (same stuff but 5x more expensive in the pet section).

+1 on the wood pellets. I get them in my local spar. 15kg for around €5
    Hard to match that price -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

I use turf mold. Does your friend have any access to turf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I use LIDLs cat litter, it's less than 3 euro for 10kg.

• Advertisement

MrWalsh wrote: »
    I use LIDLs cat litter, it's less than 3 euro for 10kg.

Ive tried that one in the past..
    Do you not find it sticks to their paws and it gets dragged everywhere?

teggers5 wrote: »
    Ive tried that one in the past..
    Do you not find it sticks to their paws and it gets dragged everywhere?

No, doesn't seem to be a problem. The odd "grains" of litter do get kicked out in the vicinity of it but it's set up in a cage so it's easy to wipe down the cage floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

Zooplus have this on offer at the moment and it really is fantastic value;

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/zooplus_exclusives/cat_litter/tigerino/447296

€3.96 per 5l bag and it lasts at least 20 days, 15-20c per day. (They say in the description that it might last 35 days for one cat, but I find that unlikely, it does start to smell before 30 days)

You do have to scoop the poo daily and stir the litter, but I just put the poo straight into the toilet. The particles are so large, that even if they come out of the tray they don't stick to anything and are very inoffensive.

I have cats best here as well (bought as a trial when I was changing litters) and I'm not impressed with it. I'm using it for a kitten I found on the road last week. The particles track, get soggy and it doesn't keep smell down well. The clumps are not well formed and stick to the bottom of the tray. I'm finding it quite messy.

MrWalsh wrote: »
    No, doesn't seem to be a problem. The odd "grains" of litter do get kicked out in the vicinity of it but it's set up in a cage so it's easy to wipe down the cage floor.

Ahh sounds like a good set up. I have 5 cats and several litter trays in various locations around the house so unfortunately it's not possible for me to try it.

teggers5 wrote: »
    Ahh sounds like a good set up. I have 5 cats and several litter trays in various locations around the house so unfortunately it's not possible for me to try it.

Its kind of an accidental set up tbh. We got the cage (its huge, a rottweiler could be comfortable in it!), because we thought we were doing TNR with a semi feral cat and we were gonna keep her quiet in the cage for 10 days after the neuter. So we had it all set up with litter tray down one end and blanket and food/water down the other end.

Course, it turned out she was the sweetest little angel you could imagine so we kept her but even after we left the cage door open, she was used to the litter tray in there so we left it.

5 cats!! We still havent got our 2 talking to each other - its 6 months now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Also using the wood pellets, great stuff.
    Also currently 5 cats, 4 permanent and a kitten I found on the road some weeks back that I'm still trying to home.

I find the wood pellets don't get smelly, I do completely change litter/wash tray at least once a week, but just pick the poop every day.

Advertisement