Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

powerline wifi extender

Options
  • 06-07-2015 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I already use a couple of TP link 500mbps powerline adapters .
    to great success, however I would like to increase the range of my wifi into the back garden.

Moving the existing router is not an option.
    I'm looking at this .

Is it just a case of plugging this into a socket and off we go or is it a little more complicated than that? The less set up the better IMO

Cheers for the input..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

newbie2 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I already use a couple of TP link 500mbps powerline adapters .
    to great success, however I would like to increase the range of my wifi into the back garden.

Moving the existing router is not an option.
    I'm looking at this .

Is it just a case of plugging this into a socket and off we go or is it a little more complicated than that? The less set up the better IMO

Cheers for the input..

I have tp-link adapters already setup on my network, and just ordered some dual lan port ones from amazon yesterday that im hoping to add to the existing. Ill let you know how it goes if there are any issues (whenever they get here!) - though they dont have the wireless complication!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Lu Tze wrote: »
    I have tp-link adapters already setup on my network, and just ordered some dual lan port ones from amazon yesterday that im hoping to add to the existing. Ill let you know how it goes if there are any issues (whenever they get here!) - though they dont have the wireless complication!

Just to follow up on this, no issues adding the extra powerline adaptors.

I set up two (got a starter kit with 2 adaptors as couldnt find a single one for a decent price!) though will likely only be using one. Just followed the instructions and it went fine, added them to the network.

Obviously cant help you on the wifi setup but im sure it wil be fine, as these are sold on being the easy option!

Just a tip, the adapter you are adding, it can be synced using any of the existing adapters, it doesnt have to be the one by the router. I plugged the new one in beside an existing one, instead of running room to room to press buttons on the adapters within 60 seconds of each other, they were right there beside one another. Once synced, you can simply unplug your new adapter and move it to where you want to use it and it will work fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Having more than two homeplugs will make things very slow, they act like network hubs not switches so suffer the same drawbacks as hubs which have not been used for years.

Advertisement