Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks for Drogheda??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LOU76

I heard it's going to be in the Laurence Centre just inside the entrance at the top of Peter Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

'Sake, another coffee place and still no Burgerking :(

Yes it's the unit I was told about in the Laurence Centre. Saw the sign installed yesterday. They're still fitting it out though so no Starbucks coffee for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Hello84

LOU76 wrote: »
    Yes it's the unit I was told about in the Laurence Centre. Saw the sign installed yesterday. They're still fitting it out though so no Starbucks coffee for a while yet.

Hi where is it going to be? Near the bagel bar entrance or health centre?

It's opposite the health centre. Next door to the hairdressers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Confirmed in Drogheda Independent also as opening in Laurence Centre.

I read somewhere a while back that this shopping centre was one of the worst performing centres in the country when measured against footfall and retail spending. Surprised that Starbucks didn't target Scotch Hall instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

ongarboy wrote: »

I read somewhere a while back that this shopping centre was one of the worst performing centres in the country when measured against footfall and retail spending. Surprised that Starbucks didn't target Scotch Hall instead.
    i think scotch hall was in that list too !

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Possibly this article.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/retailers-give-unhealthy-review-to-country-s-shopping-centres-1.2200670

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭uli84

Yes im new to town and often wonder where Drogheda people are shopping as shops are empty most of the time, odd. Or maybe they don't shop ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

Scotch Hall and The Lawrence Centre wouldn't exactly be great shopping centres. Poor selection of stores, loads of empty units etc. Add in Southgate and you wonder who thought three shopping centres for Drogheda was a good idea.

One decent centre would have been enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

A lesson to be learnt for our hard working concillors second time around !

4 shopping centres ,2 retail parks and a half arsed main street all doing little
    or no business.

is There a worse planned retail town in ireland.?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,922 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I don't see the attraction of Starbucks at all.
    Pretty ordinary stuff produced at very high prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

It's open now. Very large unit. I wonder if BB's will survive!

In fairness, unlike a lot of other towns and cities, Laurence and Scotch are within walking distance of town centre which means shoppers can still shop on the Main Street as as the shopping centres. However 2 or 3 in such close proximity do cancel out a lot of eachothers benefits!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

I don't see the attraction of Starbucks at all.
    Pretty ordinary stuff produced at very high prices.

C'mon, they write your name on the cup and everything, how cool is that? :cool:

Plus you can pretend you're hanging out with your young, sexy, cosmopolitan friends in New York, as opposed to sipping very ordinary coffee out of a paper cup in a small damp cold town somewhere in Co. Louth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

uli84 wrote: »
    Yes im new to town and often wonder where Drogheda people are shopping as shops are empty most of the time...
    Online.

It will kill all high street retail eventually and the worst thing is 80%+ is spent outside this country.

I've lived in Drogheda 10 years and I think I've been in Scotch Hall twice. Once in Lawrence's Centre and that was to watch my daughter dance. I couldn't believe how little there was there and can see no reason I'd need to (or want to) go back.

I've said it many times here before... Drogheda Council need to pedestrianise West Street and turn it into a weekend destination for the over 30's. Cafe's, bars, live music, etc. They should be buying those old buildings for sale beside the bridge of peace and along the quay and turning them into some sort of (FREE!) museums. They should be utilising the Boyne, one of those famine ship museums like they have in Enniscorthy would be a good attraction. They should all go to Kilkenny for a weekend and see how it done!

Starbucks is OK but I wouldn't be going out of my way for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Scotty # wrote: »
    They should be utilising the Boyne, one of those famine ship museums like they have in Enniscorthy would be a good attraction.

Is that ship not in New Ross? I have to agree, the Boyne is not utilised properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

kbell wrote: »
    'Sake, another coffee place and still no Burgerking :(

Think of your belly, really no need for fast food joints. You need a Street Cart in that dive of a town.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Online.

It will kill all high street retail eventually and the worst thing is 80%+ is spent outside this country.

I don't agree with this notion fully tbh, in terms of people of Drogheda shopping online. I think a huge factor is they are going outside of the town too.

Its gotten to the stage now where I'm heading up to Swords once a week over Drogheda, and Swords shopping center is nearly always full. I think a lot of people are just choosing not to go to the Drogheda shops because there's nicer ones within arms reach.

Thats not saying online shopping isn't a factor, but it doesn't seem to affect other centers as much...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

uli84 wrote: »
    Yes im new to town and often wonder where Drogheda people are shopping as shops are empty most of the time, odd. Or maybe they don't shop ;)

They usually go back to the mothership down the M1 to shop, same as for everything else.

Drogheda used to be a great shopping town, always was a great buzz about the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

... one of those famine ship museums like they have in Enniscorthy would be a good attraction...
    Mylow wrote: »
    Is that ship not in New Ross? ...

Yes, it's New Ross, not Enniscorthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

In fairness, unlike a lot of other towns and cities, Laurence and Scotch are within walking distance of town centre which means shoppers can still shop on the Main Street as as the shopping centres. However 2 or 3 in such close proximity do cancel out a lot of eachothers benefits!

It's not exactly the nicest of walks. Walking from Scotch Hall to the Lawrence Centre via Mayoralty Street and up the steps isn't great. In fact it's absolutely filthy.

Shop on the Main Street? What shops are on Main Street which are worth visiting? The likes of Easons or Penneys or Elverys are all in The Pavilions along with plenty of free parking, plenty of other shops and plenty of places to have a coffee or something to eat.

In The Pavilions everything is under the one roof with no dingy alleyways or filthy sidestreets to navigate and it has a bit of an atmosphere about it with all the other people there. It's not practically deserted and full of empty units.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭uli84

I have to say I prefer Swords too but 35 km and toll each way does discourage me a lot ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Starbucks do realise they have set up in a ghost shopping centre .....went there sunday parking charges laid the bad mood ground work, then starbucks its self, most empty tables dirty, no filter coffee in machine they said they will drop down a cup in 5 min when its ready 10 min later on way out I asked for it in a takeaway cup ...the reply was "oh soz" ...staff seemed very poorly trained for a premises where your paying for a premium product, I will stick to either costa, barefood, or that one in scotch hall

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Hanzhong Road

Starbucks take things like that fairly seriously, you should write in and complain about the behaviour of staff. I think Starbucks here are run as a franchise. Maybe the filter coffee issue is caused by the franchisee trying to save money/beans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Yeah maybe but default in that situation should have been offer an americano......Just seemed very poorly trained staff

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

Staaaaaaabucks!

Vego wrote: »
    Starbucks do realise they have set up in a ghost shopping centre .....went there sunday parking charges laid the bad mood ground work, then starbucks its self, most empty tables dirty, no filter coffee in machine they said they will drop down a cup in 5 min when its ready 10 min later on way out I asked for it in a takeaway cup ...the reply was "oh soz" ...staff seemed very poorly trained for a premises where your paying for a premium product, I will stick to either costa, barefood, or that one in scotch hall

Yeah, was in there a few Sundays ago too and it was busy in so far as there was a long queue that wasn't moving. I gave up after 3 minutes and went down to BBs where I was served my takeaway coffee instantly and walked past the still non moving queue at Starbucks.

Drogheda must be seen as a coffee goldmine! Hot on the heels of Starbucks, UK coffee chain Caffe Nero is now looking for staff for a new outlet opening soon.

http://www.reed.co.uk/jobs/store-manager-drogheda/28193989

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

Town is saturated with coffee shops.
    What we need are more barbers and hairdressers, simply not enough as it is.

CPL 593H

Advertisement