Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

T8 Android TV box - worth buying?

• 06-07-2015 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭

New to Android TV box. Looking at the T8 on freetv.ie which comes with a 1 year warranty from freetv + 2 years from manufacturer: quad core, 2Gb and octo GPU.

Are the T8s reliable?

Could anyone recommend a different box?

Also a good wireless keyboard?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

It is considered a good box in many groups I am in, maybe above M8 and MXIII but slightly below Minix Neo x-8 plus. How much are you paying for it?

Wireless keyboard - i use a Logitech k400 and find it great but sometimes miss a small remote control when I am lying on the sofa as aside from installation, I rarely type on my box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

150 euro - warranty is handy.

But told box is a generic one from China. Don't like the idea of forking out that much cash as I think these things are not very robust?

Don't know much in this area but have a NowTV box which I think I can set up with Plex working with my PC. This might be enough for me.

It depends if you want to use Kodi too. 150e is a bit on the high side but having a warranty with such a box is an advantage.

If I were you I would go for something from Amazon (shipped from the EU) in the 50e range and upgrade if you find you use it a lot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭AndersLimpar

All these Chinese boxes are very similar and usually work fine. However they are prone to sudden failure and lots of software bugs. I've had a few of them and all worked well at the beginning but eventually became unuseable due to either hardware or software issues.

I now have a Nexus Player and its in an different league to the Chinese things. Android TV that comes installed is junk though and you need to wipe it and put lollirock onto it. Once this is done you have a box that's brilliant, reliable and works so much better that any of the Chinese stuff.

It might cost a little more that the others but if you buy it on Amazon for £79 then you get a years warranty also. You will need an airmouse as well to get full functionality but this is also true of the Chinese boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

Not sure yet - still looking.

Checked Amazon and they are not selling many Android boxes directly - maybe they know their not reliable? But discovered this box under £50 sold directly by them which gives me some backup if something goes wrong.

Quad CPU, quad GPU, 8GB storage but 1GB RAM. Reviews seem OK. I wonder would the 1GB RAM be enough?

Sumvision Android TV Box Cyclone Android X4 AMLogic Quad Core Android 4.4 XBMC KODI 14.2 Media Streamer Player Smart TV Box for your HDMI HD TV

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00P7WI8AA?keywords=android%20tv%20box&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&qid=1436272717&ref_=sr_1_1&s=electronics&sr=1-1

• Advertisement

2GB would be better and you should be able to pick one up for more or less a similar cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

I have the T-8, very happy with it. I had a cheap RK3188 first and theres no comparison between the two. I paid about 140 for mine from droidsticks fully loaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

Similar to the sumvision, I got this for someone
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mobie-Amlogic-Cortex-A5-Android-Streaming/dp/B00Q8DWZQK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1436341525&sr=1-1&keywords=mobie+dazzle
    User interface is pretty good and simple enough for a non techy person ordered it on 2nd july and it arrived 6th july

Advertisement