Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood Oven

Options
  • 06-07-2015 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Does anyone know what the best wood is for a wood oven, with regards to longevity of burning and also flavour?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

If you're hot smoking your food, you'd want hard wood or fruit wood. Oak would be a great option as it wouldn't give too strong a flavour. Make sure it doesn't have too much moisture - kiln dried would be best.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Dr_Teeth wrote: »
    If you're hot smoking your food, you'd want hard wood or fruit wood.

I think he means for a wood-burning pizza oven, but the same advice applies, tbh.

OP, my ex and I were planning a brick pizza oven for the back garden the year we split and I found this site an absolute treasure-trove of information - www.fornobravo.com

There's a whole section on what woods to use here - http://www.fornobravo.com/pizza-oven-management/choosing_wood.html

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sebatron3

Thanks for that, lots of useful info on the site. It has inspired me to definitely build my own after having seen the prices they charge for one of their pizza ovens. Plus, the handmade ones look better. With regards to fuel, there's a wood oven pizza place round the corner from where I live, I'll ask them where they get their wood... over a slice of wood fired pizza and a craft beer of course!

Advertisement